Stephen King fest

treeduck

I have been a huge fan of his work for more than 30 years. I would read his earlier works first, like Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Shining. If you enjoyed The Stand, I think you'll like It. But if you're just getting into his writings, I'd actually suggest you get some of his compilations like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, etc. Lots of great stories you can bang out quickly. If you're looking for diversity, go with Different Seasons.

King is by far my favorite author ever. Not because of his subject matter. Because when I read his books, I feel like I'm watching the story develop. I don't realize I'm reading.

I have been a little hesitant of his books because I found all but two of the film adaptations boring.

But I was wrong to assume his writing would be lacking. It isn't.

I just hope I haven't raised the bar too high starting with the stand!

His books, generally speaking, don't translate well to film because, as you've probably picked up, most of the "action" takes place in the characters' minds and thoughts.

The Stand is still my favorite book, but you won't be disappointed by any of it. Stay away from The Dark Tower series unless you have a long time to read nothing else.

• Like 1

I have been a huge fan of his work for more than 30 years. I would read his earlier works first, like Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Shining. If you enjoyed The Stand, I think you'll like It. But if you're just getting into his writings, I'd actually suggest you get some of his compilations like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, etc. Lots of great stories you can bang out quickly. If you're looking for diversity, go with Different Seasons.

King is by far my favorite author ever. Not because of his subject matter. Because when I read his books, I feel like I'm watching the story develop. I don't realize I'm reading.

I have been a little hesitant of his books because I found all but two of the film adaptations boring.

His books, generally speaking, don't translate well to film because, as you've probably picked up, most of the "action" takes place in the characters' minds and thoughts.

The Stand is still my favorite book, but you won't be disappointed by any of it. Stay away from The Dark Tower series unless you have a long time to read nothing else.

The Dark Tower...tried it but it seemed very messy.

It's too long. And I started reading it as a teenager. The last book came out when I was in my 30s or 40s. So it was harder to remember the storyline.

• Like 1

It's too long. And I started reading it as a teenager. The last book came out when I was in my 30s or 40s. So it was harder to remember the storyline.

I remember reading an article when he said he initially dismissed Harry Potter, and all I could think of was "ERM...maybe you should write a fantasy masterpiece first". He did change his opinion (even dropping references to HP in the DT series).

By my coldness to DT hasn't affected my view of The Stand. I will most definitely be checking his other books. I have The Dome as well (found both for £1 each).

I remember reading an article when he said he initially dismissed Harry Potter, and all I could think of was "ERM...maybe you should write a fantasy masterpiece first". He did change his opinion (even dropping references to HP in the DT series).

By my coldness to DT hasn't affected my view of The Stand. I will most definitely be checking his other books. I have The Dome as well (found both for £1 each).

Under the Dome is a good one too. Lots of classic King characters.

Check out The Running Man and Thinner which he wrote as Richard Bachman. TRM is nothing like the silly Schwarzenegger vehicle.

• Like 1

Under the Dome is a good one too. Lots of classic King characters.

Check out The Running Man and Thinner which he wrote as Richard Bachman. TRM is nothing like the silly Schwarzenegger vehicle.

Never saw it, so that's a plus!

I will check these out.

• Like 1

These are some classics. I've read 35ish books of his and am now going through his library from start to finish.

It

Under The Dome

11/22/63

Carrie

'Salems Lot

Pet Sematary

Christine

Cujo

Edited by Cygnus 2112
  • Like 1

Couple weeks ago, I went back to the town where I grew up to meet some high school friends.

They asked me how does it feel to come back home. I told them, remember in IT when Bill Denborough went back to his Maine town, everything felt small, nothing seemed the same, and he felt out of place? Well it feels like that.

BTW, OP - do you want a thread merge with the other King thread?

Might be a good idea!

Here's my collection.

http://i.imgur.com/kFYwHzG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3Pn3mRf.jpg

I have two: the dome and the stand.

I plan to continue with his work!

What's interesting is that there are so many of his books (I've read them all) that I simply can't remember what they were about anymore. I'm sure if I started talking to someone else who has read them it would refresh my memory. Some times I think about going back and rereading them, but there are so many books out there that I haven't read, that doesn't seem to make sense. So they all sit on a book shelf downstairs, waiting for my kids to get old enough to discover how great his works are.

Anyone ever read his nonfiction book Danse Macabre? It's his analysis of the horror fiction genre. I have it somewhere. It was written in the late 70s or early 80s I would guess. It is fascinating. And his stories about his own youth are part of the reason I love his work so much. As another typical, but bookish, New Englander, I relate to him and his characters.

Couple weeks ago, I went back to the town where I grew up to meet some high school friends.

They asked me how does it feel to come back home. I told them, remember in IT when Bill Denborough went back to his Maine town, everything felt small, nothing seemed the same, and he felt out of place? Well it feels like that.

Did Pennywise the Clown show up??? :16ton:

• Like 1

I recently read my favourite KING novel again and it was just as good as ever. I can't reveal the name of the novel until I've the end of the KING FEST when I'll be reading it again and reviewing it!

The KING FEST will resume soon, (in a few weeks).

How many King books have you read? I started book 35 today.

I read everything up to about 2000 and I've kind of slacked off a bit since then. I've read Buick 8 and Lisey's Story and I think they're the latest ones. I just can't get going again on the guy. I think it's because I'm disappointed in him really. I prefer his 70's and 80's stuff.

BTW, OP - do you want a thread merge with the other King thread?

Might be a good idea!

Alright, let me see if I remember how to do this...

Is it done with mirrors??

http://www.thejamesbondsocialmediaproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mwgg_funhouse.png

• Like 1

Anyone ever read his nonfiction book Danse Macabre? It's his analysis of the horror fiction genre. I have it somewhere. It was written in the late 70s or early 80s I would guess. It is fascinating. And his stories about his own youth are part of the reason I love his work so much. As another typical, but bookish, New Englander, I relate to him and his characters.

I am attempting to read Danse Macabre, but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I am attempting to read Danse Macabre, but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I read that one in bits, all out of order. It's quite interesting actually. At the time I read it back in the 80's I was under the impression it was another work of fiction. So I was a bit disappointed to find out it was essentially a reference book of horror films and novels.

Treeduck, what novels of King do you rate most highly?