Misheard Words

rickyrob

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my God! I can't believe this!!!! I'm so embarrassed. I thought I now comfortably knew every lyric to every Rush song but a post by Joanne in her singing thread has absolutely shocked me beyond all belief!

In Everyday Glory I always thought the line was;

"They can fight about their liquor later"

Okay it's a bit silly but let's be honest even though Counterparts is a good album some of the lyrics are a little erm... weak at times.

When I read Joanne's post and realised the actual like is;

"They can fight about their little girl later"

I felt like crying. Damn! laugh.gif

This is kind of cathartic!

4 years ago I considered myself a knowledgeable new Rush fan. Well, I had a moment of humility when I corrected a friend for singing the words "...The river" in Tom Sawyer.

I said, "No. He's saying, 'No reason.'"

Oops tongue.gif

Not really a lyric thing, but the first time I heard the "Paris Hilton" Alex rant, instead of "Where's your brain?", I thought it was "Where's your bride?". I was like WTF? But it took me two more listens to finally hear it.

I'll have to go listen again but I'm pretty sure he's saying "pride" so I think you were closer the first time.

Another one is "The Pass". Boy, oh, boy. At first listen, I was totally lost. Take a look:

Doubt swagger out in the streetcar

Waiting for the world to pause

Rebel without a conscience

Motto without a cause

Staring back on your frequency

Electrical storm in your veins

Reaching at unreachable glory

Straining at invisible chains

And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge

Staring down into a heartless sea

Can't face life on a razor's edge

Nothing's what you thought it would be

All of us get lost in the darkness

Dreamers learn to steer by the stars

All of us do time in the gutter

Dreamers turn to look at the cause

Turn around, turn around, turn around

Turn around and walk the razor's edge

Don't turn your back

And slam the door on me

It's not as if this barricade

Blocks the only road

It's not as if you're all alone

In wanting to explode

Some are considered bad examples

Make surrender seem all right

the act of a noble warrior

who lost the will to fight

And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge

Staring down into a heartless sea

Done with life on a razor's edge

Nothing's what you thought it would be

No hero in your tragedy

No daring in your escape

No salutes for your surrender

Nothing noble in your fate

Christ, what have you done?

-----------------------------------------

Wow. Some real bombs up there! sad.gif smile.gif Luckily, Rush has all their lyrics inside of the CD/LP jacket! biggrin.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Great thread!

I always thought that toward the end of Free Will the lyrics were in French (like in the chorus of Circumstances) - but then learned that Geddy is actually singing, "Genetic blends, with uncertain ends" - in English. doh.gif

My version was "Je n'etre memes, un certain l'aines " which sort of translates, rather weakly, into something along the lines of "I am not the same as this penis."

confused13.gif Yeah, didn't make any sense to me either... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kismet @ Feb 2 2008, 10:01 PM)
rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif
Great thread!

I always thought that toward the end of Free Will the lyrics were in French (like in the chorus of Circumstances) - but then learned that Geddy is actually singing, "Genetic blends, with uncertain ends" - in English. doh.gif

My version was "Je n'etre memes, un certain l'aines " which sort of translates, rather weakly, into something along the lines of "I am not the same as this penis."

confused13.gif Yeah, didn't make any sense to me either... biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Incidently that passage from Freewill are some of my favourite lyrics ever especially the way Geddy sings them on Exit...

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 2 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (Kismet @ Feb 2 2008, 10:01 PM)
rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif
Great thread!

I always thought that toward the end of Free Will the lyrics were in French (like in the chorus of Circumstances) - but then learned that Geddy is actually singing, "Genetic blends, with uncertain ends" - in English.  doh.gif

confused13.gif  Yeah, didn't make any sense to me either...  biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Incidently that passage from Freewill are some of my favourite lyrics ever especially the way Geddy sings them on Exit...

Mine too, especially how he enters that final chorus in full-shriek after having sung in a normal human register throughout the rest of the song. What an amazing voice.

Sunlight on home, the blue of the (something unintelligible), every new where

and it only occurs to me RIGHT NOW that "every new where" makes absolutely no sense. and "sunlight on home" isn't looking so good either. In fact, that whole line is just ridiculous.

also

An earl win comes arising across the cities of the plain

and

Bright and tender whistle with the energy

and especially the old no reason in tom sawyer. not that "the river" makes much more sense.

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 6 2008, 05:28 PM)
and especially the old no reason in tom sawyer. not that "the river" makes much more sense.

I was pretty surprised to learn just recently that that line in Tom Sawyer ISN'T "no reason" ohmy.gif "The river" makes even less sense. biggrin.gif

I was thinking I'd had the words wrong on the end of Cygnus X-1 Bk II, about the world "breaking into sorry hemispheres" and was all prepared to tell y'all about it, then discovered, um, that those WERE the words... laugh.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Feb 7 2008, 03:12 AM)
QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 6 2008, 05:28 PM)

I was pretty surprised to learn just recently that that line in Tom Sawyer ISN'T "no reason" ohmy.gif "The river" makes even less sense. biggrin.gif

Go and read the book Tom Sawyer. 'The river' makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Feb 6 2008, 10:12 PM)
I was thinking I'd had the words wrong on the end of Cygnus X-1 Bk II, about the world "breaking into sorry hemispheres" and was all prepared to tell y'all about it, then discovered, um, that those WERE the words... laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Um.. Isn't it, " It's surface splintered into sorry hemisphere's" ?

QUOTE (hunter @ Feb 11 2008, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Feb 6 2008, 10:12 PM)

tongue.gif

Um.. Isn't it, " It's surface splintered into sorry hemisphere's" ?

Yes. wink.gif

Archived