Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson

rushgoober

There seems to be a new breed of American comedies featuring the actors above, who all seem to appear in each other's movies on a pretty regular basis.

Now among this group there have been some seriously lousy movies (Dodgeball), some ok ones (Old School, Anchorman) and some seriously hilarious ones (Wedding Crashers, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Zoolander, etc.) Of course opinions will vary on each one.

Anyway, here's a place to discuss movies that this new crew of goofballs have appeared in.

When I first saw Anchorman in the theater, I thought it was fairly lousy, full of really bad jokes and juvenile humor, punctuated by some truly funny moments (jazz flute, etc.).

I saw this recently while traveling again, and I enjoyed it a helluva lot more. Maybe it was because I hadn't plunked down $8.00 for it, or maybe because my expectations were now so low, but I thought this was a really funny, if stupid, movie. I found the juvenile humor FAR more enjoyable the second time around. Not a GREAT movie, certainly not, but a fun one. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I have not seen Anchorman yet, but I have the DVD borrowed from a friend. One of these nights....

Anyway I thought the Wedding Crashers was GREAT - but it could not compare to how amazing the 40 Year Old Virgin is. That has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in the last 10 years. Easy. We had to keep pausing the movie because we were laughing so hard and missing things. Since seeing it on DVD it's now on HBO all the time, and I watch it just about any time I land on it.

Of this group of names you've put together, I like all of them. However Steve Carell is, imo, the most talented one without comparison.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Sep 27 2006, 07:28 AM)
Of this group of names you've put together, I like all of them. However Steve Carell is, imo, the most talented one without comparison.

Carell is pretty great, but Will Ferrell also never ceases to amaze me with how funny he can be also given the right material. His cameo in Wedding Crashers was piss in your pants funny.

Then again, I think everyone I mentioned is a very gifted comic actor, and many are also great dramatic actors as well...

How can you say that 'Dodgeball' is lousy?! Come on, even the usually abysmal Stiller was funny in that one! Plus, it had Rip Torn, modern master of deadpan humor.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 27 2006, 07:52 AM)
How can you say that 'Dodgeball' is lousy?! Come on, even the usually abysmal Stiller was funny in that one! Plus, it had Rip Torn, modern master of deadpan humor.

I was being kind when I said it was lousy. I thought it was painfully bad. eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2006, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 27 2006, 07:52 AM)

I was being kind when I said it was lousy. I thought it was painfully bad. eh.gif

You don't know funny.

I actually saw Ferrell's Tallahgeda Nights at the weekend - Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I went expecting a rather silly piece of fluff with inane humour and nothing to add to my understanding of life.

That's exactly what I got, so no disappointment, and I was able to enjoy it for what it was. Meaningless, silly and very, very funny.

I'll take Old School, Wedding Crashers, and 40 Year-Old Virgin. Old School is my favorite; I watch it all the time.

Zoolander makes it into your top bracket, Goob?? Are you nuts???

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 27 2006, 10:59 AM)
I'll take Old School, Wedding Crashers, and 40 Year-Old Virgin. Old School is my favorite; I watch it all the time.

Zoolander makes it into your top bracket, Goob?? Are you nuts???

I'll go one further. I like Zoolander BETTER than Wedding Crashers and 40 Year Old Virgin.

I don't know what it is. Like to me it's startlingly obvious that Dodgeball was awful. My wife and I groaned all the way through it and were both astounded by how bad it was. Jack Aubrey loved it.

Similarly, a lot of people think Zoolander is horrendously stupid, and to me it's comic genius.

My wife who hated Dodgeball along with me, does NOT see what I see in Zoolander.

I, unlike you, thought Old School was "OK", but certainly not in the same league with Zoolander, 40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers.

It's all subjective I guess. yes.gif

Todd Phillips, the co-writer and director of "Old School" and "Starsky and Hutch" (among others) was on Terry Gross's "Fresh Air" program on NPR last night. (Of all places!)

What I heard of the interview was very good. And it sounds like there's an "Old School 2" in the works.

I believe they are called the "Frat Pack"

I like all the mentioned movies. But 40 Year Virgin is the best of the lot (And one of the best comedies ever). Followed by Old School.

I really liked Dodgeball too!

All of the aforementioned flicks were funny and entertaining. It all depends on your mood I suppose. I must say this: I've never stopped a movie before it was half finished until I put these two train-wrecks on: 1) Dukes of Hazard, 2) The Hills Have Eyes.

Freakin' BAAAAD!!!!

Dukes: Not even Jessica Simpson's ass saved it for me.

Hills: What were they thinking when they made this? Honestly.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:33 PM)
I don't like Owen Wilson. I don't think he really can be considered a comedian. He just says funny stuff from a script. And his nose bothers me.

I think he's got this confident, laid back style that's extremely likeable. He can't carry a movie on that alone, but I think he does have this very appealing charm to him that makes him fun to watch. Just seeing him almost makes me laugh before he even says a word. biggrin.gif

And I dig the nose - it's distinctive. yes.gif That's part of what made Zoolander so hilarious to me. That Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson could ever even be considered to be male models in the first place. They're not bad looking guys, but they're certainly not male models. That to me is one of the chief standing jokes of the movie that always gets me. cool.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Will Ferrell has NEVER made me laugh. Owen...I'm indifferent about. I liked Vaughn best in Swingers but I usually don't care for him. Stiller, I also don't like but has had a few good moments for me (There's something about Mary & Reality Bites come to mind) . I've only seen Carrell in that 40yr. old virgin flick...thought it was an extremely funny movie.

Thought id stick these here...

Me & Ron went to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens & they had a

Stone path with stars names on them.

so I took a couple that caught my eye outta all of them

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8077/p1010831en0.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/19/p1010832dv0.jpg

bekloppt.gif