New album Question

treeduck

On albums like A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres there's more than a touch of classical guitar from Alex. Is this a path that he might return to on the new album, with the return of synthesisers unlikely, maybe a song intro or mid-tune passage or a ballad? If there was a lot of classical guitar on the new album would you welcome it or are you looking for and expecting something completely different?

I would love to hear a little classical guitar on the new album. I also hope to hear a lot of dynamics in the sound. Songs like Red Barchetta and Xanadu are great for a lot of reasons, but I love the different tempos and levels of volume and energy in these songs.

I am sure you guys read that quote from Alex as well about the new record!

He said something like "On the Vapor Trails record I really held back. Well this time on the new record I am going to let loose!!"

I would love more classical intros with the 12 string guitar, or any guitar for that matter!

If Alex is going all out on this record I want a new song where he incorporates his double neck axe as well!

Time for Alex to shine!! That means longer solos too!!

I can't take it anymore!!!!

Would be great! smile.gif Anything they need to use would be great, e.g. classical guitar, pedal steel guitar, slide guitar, Moog synthesizer, Oberheim Polyphonic synthesizer Moog Taurus pedals, Double neck guitars (Alex and Geddy), tympani (real ones!) percussion (all real, no electronics!), you name it.

2.gif

I think it would be nice too, like for instance something like the intro of A Farewell to Kings..... yes.gif

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Sep 8 2006, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 8 2006, 03:11 AM)

He said something like "On the Vapor Trails record I really held back.  Well this time on the new record I am going to let loose!!"

Ok, I'm going to die if I dont get the new album soon. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I heard he was really gonna go crazy and really "bring it" he said I'm gonna out shred Vai and out legato Holdsworth, you heard me I'm bad!!

eyesre4.gif

Ok I'm lying but one can but hope... smash.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 12:36 PM)
if properly written and arranged

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Don't presume that "properly" is defined by your own personal opinion. dazed025.gif tongue.gif

No, it's better to take the opinion of one who wrote the song (Peart). In such a case, he concurs.

Thanks for your input anyways.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 03:46 PM)

Don't presume that "properly" is defined by your own personal opinion. dazed025.gif tongue.gif

No, it's better to take the opinion of one who wrote the song (Peart). In such a case, he concurs.

Well Pedro which era do you consider the arranging to have been done properly?

I think it's more than possible.

Also. don't forget there is a fair sprinkling of mandola in Vapor Trails, though sometimes you wouldn't know it due to piss poor mixing (sorry couldn't resist)

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 7 2006, 07:11 PM)
I am sure you guys read that quote from Alex as well about the new record!

He said something like "On the Vapor Trails record I really held back.  Well this time on the new record I am going to let loose!!"

I would love more classical intros with the 12 string guitar, or any guitar for that matter!

If Alex is going all out on this record I want a new song where he incorporates his double neck axe as well!

Time for Alex to shine!! That means longer solos too!!

I can't take it anymore!!!!

goodpost.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 03:46 PM)

Yes I am well aware that the band conscientiously decided to move away from the longer song format of 70s prog, towards the more compact song format of the 80s and beyond. But the fact that they moved in that direction (and the fact that you may like it better) is irrelevant. Just because the band chose to go for the compact song format doesn't mean there's anything "improper" about their earlier songs. They may have felt that way, but does that mean that their fans have to agree? (hint - the answer is no)

That said, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if they bring back any serious 70s era prog classical guitar on the new album.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2006, 11:58 PM)
RUSH + "a return" = not in their vocabulary.

just the thought of "bringing back" stuff would make them uncomfortable. i thought this was common knowledge with rush fans confused13.gif

So what was Feedback then?

When they got rid of keyboards ever so slowly they "returned" to the guitar/bass/drums format, did they not?

Don't forget you've only got SECONDS bofore your brain forgets all about this thread...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2006, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2006, 11:58 PM)
RUSH + "a return" = not in their vocabulary.

just the thought of "bringing back" stuff would make them uncomfortable. i thought this was common knowledge with rush fans confused13.gif

So what was Feedback then?

feedback doesn't count!

ok maybe sort of

Archived