THE WHO

Natural Rush

I love "Tommy" the movie. The two most impressionable parts of the movie are Tina Turner's Acid Queen and the song "Champagne" which was added to the movie (doesn't appear on the Who album) and is sung by Ann Margret as she is about indulge herself in baked beans, chocolate and soap suds.

My fave albums are "Tommy" and "Who's Next". I like a random selection of songs from various albums. I love the single "Who Are You?"

I also agree that "The Song is Over" is one of the best tunes by the Who.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 21 2006, 12:22 PM)
There is some great stuff on the 1995 reissue of The Who Sell Out, the second half after the original album ends. Meloncholia, Early Morning Cold Taxi, Girl's Eyes, Glow Girl...they had  a lot of hidden jems from that period.

Yes, indeed. I'm only familar with the expanded version of that album, and TBH I couldn't imagine it any other way. "Early Morning Cold Taxi" is actually one of my favorite songs on that album. And one can't forget "Rael 2" -- silly of The Who to split up that mini-opera in the first place! (Yeah, I know- it was because of space constraints, but still!)

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 11 2006, 04:03 PM)
Tommy is overrated if you ask me.

Very much agreed.

That said, Entwistle was a genius. A song I really like his work on is Sister Disco.

Love The Who! Great, great band.

Is anyone else's favorite record by them "Live At Leeds"? The recent reissue with the bonus tracks and remastering made a good thing even better. It's AMAZING. My pick for best live album ever.

I also rate "The Who Sell Out" reissue and "Who's Next" way up there.

Live at Leeds is pretty great, yes. I've always preferred Isle of Wight though, because it has the unreleased Who's Next material.

On another note, their new album, Endless Wire, is due out at the end of October. And I'm so glad they gave it an actual title instead of calling it "Who 2" like they had been saying before.

I bought my first single in 1966 - it was the Who's "I'm a boy".

Keith Moon was my boyhood hero (as with Neil Peart) and I finally realised my lifetime ambition on 6th June 1976 and saw them play live in Glasgow Scotland, complete with the late, great Keith Moon.

He died two years later and my interest waned after that although the albums discussed "Live At Leeds", "Tommy", "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia" were all great. I rarely play them now, especially as I only have them as well worn LPs.

For the those who like reading, the biography of Keith Moon by Tony Fletcher (ISBN 0 7119 6625 7) is a great read at 550 pages and gives a good insight into the group as well as the madness and genius of Keith.

Order it through the library!

Archived