Led Zeppelin

D-13

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 20 2007, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 19 2007, 11:05 PM)
I love, love, love Led Zeppelin III.

Easily their most underrated album.

What about Coda? I know, it's a compilation of songs they never put on albums, but I went through a phase awhile back where I couldn't put that album down. III is interesting, and I go through phases with that one, too, but who even talks about Coda?

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jan 21 2007, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (jesse @ Jan 21 2007, 06:06 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Dec 22 2006, 06:22 PM)
Achilles' Last Stand and In the Light IMO are their best songs

In the Light new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Have you heard the original version?

Diffferent yet just as awesome.

what original version confused13.gif I'd like to hear it

You have to remember that ALOT of Led Zeppelin songs are blatant re-writes or rip offs, depending on your view, of old American Blues songs. Maybe that's what he means.

http://cds.jrd.org.uk/covers/ledzeppelin_tangiblevandalism_all.JPG

http://cds.jrd.org.uk/covers/ledzeppelin_tangiblevandalism_all.JPG

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 21 2007, 02:16 PM)

You have to remember that ALOT of Led Zeppelin songs are blatant re-writes or rip offs, depending on your view, of old American Blues songs. Maybe that's what he means.

NO!!!! no.gif

SOME of their music is derivative of certain blues artists. Much of what they did was very original, otherwise they would not have been so influential.

By your standards, ALL of rock & roll is derivative of old rhythm and blues, so let's not just beat up on Zeppelin, OK? I mean, what about the Stones? The Who? etc etc. So don't even go there, dude.

yes.gif I agree, although they did cover a few blues numbers earlier in their career, so which bands haven't done that?

In The Light as you obviously don't know is an original song and the demo original verion is quite different, I love both versions. This version is available on bootleg studio sessions wink.gif

Okay, here's a (sort of) Zeppelin-related question:

Just tonight, I downloaded the Page & Plant live album "No Quarter," and I was listening to it, and I wonder: is the sound quality really that shitty? I could barely make out Plant's voice most of the time, and the whole thing sounded like an average-quality audience bootleg. I would think that for an official release, it would at least sound decent. Did I just download a bad version, or is it really that bad-sounding? It's a shame if it is, because the music, what I could make out of it, sounded incredible.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 4 2007, 12:13 AM)

Just tonight, I downloaded the Page & Plant live album "No Quarter," and I was listening to it, and I wonder: is the sound quality really that shitty? I could barely make out Plant's voice most of the time, and the whole thing sounded like an average-quality audience bootleg. I would think that for an official release, it would at least sound decent. Did I just download a bad version, or is it really that bad-sounding? It's a shame if it is, because the music, what I could make out of it, sounded incredible.

It's been awhile since I've heard the album, but I don't recall ever being disappointed with the sound quality. Then again, I'm not one of those uptight audiophiles or anything; just a fan.

The album was taken from a single live performance, similar to those old "MTV Unplugged" discs. They played the material acoustically, with a bunch of Middle Eastern musicians backing them up. "Kashmir" in particular was impressive, if memory serves.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2007, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 4 2007, 12:13 AM)

It's been awhile since I've heard the album, but I don't recall ever being disappointed with the sound quality. Then again, I'm not one of those uptight audiophiles or anything; just a fan.

I'm not an uptight audiophile either (case in point: I see nothing wrong at all with the way Vapor Trails is mastered). But this sounds like absolute shit. Like, on the level of that Caress of Steel boot that's out there.

Maybe next time I buy CDs I'll look for a used copy. I really want to hear a decent-sounding version of this, because what I listened to sounded amazing.

In The Morning....not a bad version.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 7 2007, 06:20 AM)
This made me chuckle...

The Onion

laugh.gif

Thanks!!! Dang, that was funny!!!

WE ARE NOT WORTHY !!!!! rofl3.gif

This is "old news" but I don't think it's been shared here before: back in Oct. of 2005, Robert Plant and Pearl Jam both played at a benefit for Hurricane Katrina victims. It was held at the House of Blues in Chicago. I freaked out when I saw this bootleg video, marginal as it is, since it shows Robert Plant singing "Fool In The Rain" with Ed Vedder, backed by the rest of Pearl Jam. THIS WAS THE ONLY LIVE PERFORMANCE OF FOOL IN THE RAIN he ever did, according to Plant. OMG!!!! Too cool for words! Here's the link. Enjoy!!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...&q=robert+plant

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/tyranny83/robeddieoct2005.jpg

Ah yes I knew there had to be a Led Zeppelin thread. cool10.gif 1022.gif

Side one of the first Zeppelin album is amazing in the way it touches on all the main styles of 60s rock: beat music (Good Times Bad Times), folk rock (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You), blues (You Shook Me) and psychedelia (Dazed And Confused) while also providing the blueprint for the heavy metal of the 70s (Dazed And Confused).