Vapor Trails

treeduck

What do you think of Vapor trals once and for all?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Vapor trals once and for all?

• 1 I love the album!!
    • 2 It sucks
    • 3 The songs are great but I hate the production
    • 4 I just like everything up to Moving Pictures
    • 5 I just sit and listen to 2112 and nothing else
    • 6 I think it's ok
    • 7 I think I like it but I just can't listen to it
    • 8 I don't understand what people have against this album
    • 9 You still haven't explained this whole treeduck thing yet

I've seen some extreme views on here about Vapor Trails and it's production issues so i thought I'd ask some questions...

Who can't stand it??

Who loves it?

Who loves it but hates the production?

It's a tie between 1 and 3 - I hate how it's been mastered - but I LOVE the sound of the music, and think it's one of their most brilliant albums ever made.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 6 2006, 01:33 PM)
It's a tie between 1 and 3 - I hate how it's been mastered - but I LOVE the sound of the music, and think it's one of their most brilliant albums ever made.

Yeah I pretty much agree with that but as I've said elsewhere I've gotten used to the production so it doesn't bother me too much...

I'll buy the remaster though...

you forgot the option, "im rushgoober, i dont like it." nasty.gif

holy crap for a band to make an album after the debatable test for echo and after 25 years to produce somthing as incredible as vapour trails is an amazing feat for rush to break into a new era of modern prog rock,

neil was amazing as usual as was alex,geddy

I think it's just okay ... it doesn't blow me away or anything, but it's not like I despise it and refuse to listen to it. I don't enjoy the production but it's not so bad that I have to turn it off or anything.

I, too, have defended VT in other threads. As I have stated before, I think VT is great from a lyric writing, music writing, and musicianship perspective. But, the recording leaves me disappointed considering the amount of time and hard work they put forth.

Also mentioned by me many times, I love the material and I love the performance. Probably because it's the latest release of original material, I've played it more than any other Rush album for at least a year and a half.

But also, because it's goooooooood.

I pretty much just have a thing for "Peaceable Kingdom", "Secret Touch", and "Freeze."

The complicateder ones. smile.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Aug 6 2006, 09:32 PM)
I pretty much just have a thing for "Peaceable Kingdom", "Secret Touch", and "Freeze."

The complicateder ones. smile.gif

Freeze is my favorite track on the CD. Out of the 13 tracks, I go out of my mind for 9 of them. There are 4 that I generally skip when I'm listening to it, but when I do let them play they are great to hear.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 6 2006, 07:38 PM)
I swear I'm going to explode if you don't explain treeduck to me.

Ok since you asked...

It's just a type of duck that lives in a tree...

http://www.jonkhill.com/caribbean/Pointe-a-Pierre/whistling_tree_duck_web1.jpg

This one here is the whistling tree duck, which is apt as I whistle Rush songs quite a bit...

I've used this name though quite a lot on forums for a while and I got the idea from a book i read back in the early 90s...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n12/n60225.jpg

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 6 2006, 08:44 PM)
I think CU is a very underrated song -- I really like that and about 3/4 of the album, with occasioanl listens to the rest.

Ceiling Unlimited is GREAT. 653.gif

I voted "Songs are great but I hate the production."

Perhaps that is a little extreme though?

I realize that VT was likely meant to sound raw. I actually like that quality in it. But sometimes it just makes me angry that there are so many lovely things going on and I can barely hear them.

Maybe I should have voted "I love the album!!"

I have a great idea. I will listen to it again!!!

QUOTE (2 Soups @ Aug 6 2006, 10:27 PM)
I love Vapor Trails; people complaining about the sound are driving me nuts!!!
Do you guys that complain about the production really think that Ged, Alex and Neil would release something they thought sounded bad?

EXACTLY!

Thank you!

"One Little Victory" is just behind "Baba O'Riley" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" as an album opener. Of the other songs, I improbably only love "Sweet Miracle". The rest don't do much for me besides occasionally make me cringe.

Archived