Best books you got on the cheap?

Slime

What books have you gotten for low prices that have turned out to be high quality? Keep in mind that you need not necessarily have "read" the things.

Example: my own

War and Peace

Crime and Punishment

Don Quixote

ALL THREE for ten bucks altogether! biggrin.gif

i haven't read them yet but i got The Dead Zone and Thinner at a thrift store one time, it was like a "five paperback books for a dollar" deal and my dad ended up paying cuz he got three so he just paid for my two along with them for a dollar so really i got them for free lol.

also my dad got me a star wars book at a garage sale one time, Darksaber, and it was very good.

I'm always looking for books at garage sales - it's what I go to garage sales for! (That and movies on DVD or VHS.)

I FOUND A FIRST PRINT COPY OF GUADALCANAL DIARY IN A JUNK SHOP FOR .27 CENTS. I SOLD IT TO A GUY AT FORT CAMBELL FOR 30 BUCKS.

I found In Harm's Way (the one I posted about in the "what are you reading" thread 2-3 weeks ago) on sale at Barnes & Noble for five bucks.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 9 2006, 08:47 AM)
Mine has to be Nick Mason's "Inside Out", hardback, for 9.99 Euro, about 8 dollars. Got it in a book clearance store a few weeks back. Rang all the Floydheads I know, and I think they were sold out in 2 days!!!

9.99!! I got mine for 30!!!

"Silent Coup," by Len Colodny and Robert Gettlin, the definitive book about Watergate (according to G. Gordon Liddy.) According to the book, which takes forever to make it's case, "deep throat" was most likely Al Haig. In spite of the erroneous thesis, it was a great read w/ a lot of detail and many unknown or previously unpublished facts.

It was one dollar at some halfway house for alcoholics.

I also picked up a large hardcover copy of "The Silmarillion," complete w/ a large map in two different inks for $3 at a used bookstore. That was before the LOTR trilogy was released, of course. I'm sure they're going for $20 now.