Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 16 2010, 09:28 PM)
Phew. I just had to do a school project where I had to create a short piece of music using only FM synthesis. No presets, we had to program everything ourselves. And MAN, was it ever rewarding. FM is so underrated. It doesn't deserve the bad rap that cheesy mid-80's pop gave it; it's capable of so much more.

I once read that the 3 basic things you need to program the FM Synthesis on a DX7 is trial, error and luck. That pretty much sums it up. I have an old DX7 that I use as a controller (love that modulation wheel that stays in position, wish the old Rolands had that) and I was never able to program it. Unlike the old Roland Linear synthesis architecture, or the virtual synth emulators of today, it is impossible to predict who those algorithms will affect the operators. It's just blind luck I can get anything out of it at all, and the presets are a bit cheesy.

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Sep 22 2010, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 16 2010, 09:28 PM)
Phew. I just had to do a school project where I had to create a short piece of music using only FM synthesis. No presets, we had to program everything ourselves. And MAN, was it ever rewarding. FM is so underrated. It doesn't deserve the bad rap that cheesy mid-80's pop gave it; it's capable of so much more.

I once read that the 3 basic things you need to program the FM Synthesis on a DX7 is trial, error and luck. That pretty much sums it up. I have an old DX7 that I use as a controller (love that modulation wheel that stays in position, wish the old Rolands had that) and I was never able to program it. Unlike the old Roland Linear synthesis architecture, or the virtual synth emulators of today, it is impossible to predict who those algorithms will affect the operators. It's just blind luck I can get anything out of it at all, and the presets are a bit cheesy.

Once you learn some of the math behind it, it's a little less hit-and-miss. If you break it down into simple operator pairs, you can get a rough idea of what kind of sound you're creating. Then choosing the algorithm is just a matter of figuring out how many layers you want in the sound and what you want them to sound like.

One of the really nice things about FM8 is the spectrum and waveform displays...you can see in real-time what the frequencies and amplitudes of the sidebands are, and what the resulting waveform looks like. The lack of that display is part of what makes DX7 programming so hard, although I suppose you could hook up a spectrum analyzer to the DX7's output. I'll have to try that sometime.

I'd love to get one of the Roland LA synths though...I've been lusting after a D-50 for a while.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

I guess I should rear my fugly mug in the keys section. tongue.gif

I currently only have one keyboard; It's a Williams electric piano with weighted keys.

It has a decent acoustic piano sound and it has pretty good Hammond Organ and Mellotron-y string sounds. I learned most of the Rush keyboard stuff on it.

I'd kill to have a full Oberheim OB-X 8 voice and Minimoog setup; ala Moving Pictures/Signals era. That would be boss. 1022.gif

My "gear" is a Roland Juno Di Synth (61 key) and a Casio WK500 (76 key) Workstation.

I also have a Wurlitzer semi-upright 88 key piano.

I had a chance to get a Hammond Composers series organ for free, but the only day I could pick it up was the day I was leaving for vacation. sad.gif

I want a Moog Little Phatty and a Roland Fantom badly drool1.gif

So... I have a set of Taurus Pedals. Does that put me in the synth thread or the bass thread? laugh.gif

Just got them a few months ago as a gift from my Hubby (who plays the keyboards and some guitar). I've always loved the great rumbling growl of the pedals. So now I'm learning to actually play them. Right now, I'm working on Subdivisions. Thankfully I have the sheet music.

Any suggestions as to what other songs/parts to work on?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 28 2010, 09:44 PM)
My "gear" is a Roland Juno Di Synth (61 key) and a Casio WK500 (76 key) Workstation.

I also have a Wurlitzer semi-upright 88 key piano.

I had a chance to get a Hammond Composers series organ for free, but the only day I could pick it up was the day I was leaving for vacation. sad.gif

I want a Moog Little Phatty and a Roland Fantom badly drool1.gif

Our synth setups are relatively similar! I have a Roland Juno-Stage with a Casio WK3500 trink39.gif

I'd also kill for a Fantom.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 7 2010, 08:29 PM)
So... I have a set of Taurus Pedals. Does that put me in the synth thread or the bass thread? laugh.gif

Just got them a few months ago as a gift from my Hubby (who plays the keyboards and some guitar). I've always loved the great rumbling growl of the pedals. So now I'm learning to actually play them. Right now, I'm working on Subdivisions. Thankfully I have the sheet music.

Late congratulations on the Taurus pedals! The post definitely belongs in the synth rather than the bass section... Some suggestions on songs to learn for the Taurus, assuming you're playing bass guitar as well:

Red Barchetta

Big Money

Jacob's Ladder

Distant Early Warning

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiato

Marathon

Xanadu

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

YYZ (middle section + keys, so your hubby can play the guitar solo)

QUOTE (papaheavypsy @ Dec 24 2010, 03:32 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 22 2010, 05:53 PM)
Once you learn some of the math behind it (FM synthesis) , it's a little less hit-and-miss.

Like Fast Fourier Transforms or Laplace Transforms?

I'd say the more intuitive harmonic series would give you a better foundation for building FM sounds.

Like the harmonics found on a guitar string (or like the overtone series if you play a brass or wind instrument):

first harmonic ==> fundamental tone

second harmonic ==> octave

third harmonic ==> octave + fifth

fifth harmonic ==> double octave

sixth harmonic ==> double octave + third

seventh harmonic ==> 7th (a bit flat)

eighth harmonic ==> triple octave

Using those ratios between the main operator and the modulating operator will give you pleasant or consonant tones. Use non-harmonic ratios, and you get metallic and noisy sounds.

And besides thinking about only the ratios between two operators, you have to keep in mind the intensity as well. There's a variety of tones you can get using just one ratio, but varying the amount or level of the modulating oscillator.

Complex in words, intuitive to do once it "clicks"....

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Dec 26 2010, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 7 2010, 08:29 PM)
So... I have a set of Taurus Pedals. Does that put me in the synth thread or the bass thread?  laugh.gif

Late congratulations on the Taurus pedals! The post definitely belongs in the synth rather than the bass section... Some suggestions on songs to learn for the Taurus, assuming you're playing bass guitar as well:

Red Barchetta

Big Money

Jacob's Ladder

Distant Early Warning

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiato

Marathon

Xanadu

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

YYZ (middle section + keys, so your hubby can play the guitar solo)

Oh yeah, just thought of a couple more songs with good Taurus parts:

Time Stand Still (the corny video thread reminded me of those D A E bass lines)

Show Don't Tell (easy D C parts)

How's it going, How It Is? music.gif

bekloppt.gif My name is Christian. I'm new here. I play bass and keys and I am a Rush fan. [support group clap] wink.gif

So current keyboard gear ...

Korg Z1

Korg Triton Pro

Korg Trinity TR

Casio AZ-1 keytar (mainly drives the Trinity)

Akai AX60 (used it for Tom Sawyer sweep and The analog kid pulse but unfortunately it is on its last LFO) laugh.gif

Roland PK-5

http://www.beyonddarwin.com/images/DSC01038-1.jpg

Past rig was...

Ensoniq ASR-10

Korg X2

Akai AX60

Roland PK-5

http://www.beyonddarwin.com/images/msBRKeys4.jpg

Is there anyone that is good with programming a Z1? My dying Akai has a randomiser that is good for The Camera Eye but I need to reproduce it on the Z1. I am kinda new and the actual programming part and the manual is not being much of a help.

QUOTE (CLPalacioATX @ Jan 16 2011, 03:14 PM)
Is there anyone that is good with programming a Z1? 

Whew, I just popped two Tylenols thinking about that one! I've had mine for 11 years and I never could get the hang of it. Anyway, welcome aboard. Nice rig ya got there.

QUOTE (CLPalacioATX @ Jan 16 2011, 06:14 PM)
bekloppt.gif  My name is Christian. I'm new here. I play bass and keys and I am a Rush fan.  [support group clap] wink.gif

So current keyboard gear ...
Korg Z1
Korg Triton Pro
Korg Trinity TR
Casio AZ-1 keytar (mainly drives the Trinity)
Akai AX60 (used it for Tom Sawyer sweep and The analog kid pulse but unfortunately it is on its last LFO)  laugh.gif
Roland PK-5

http://www.beyonddarwin.com/images/DSC01038-1.jpg

Past rig was...
Ensoniq ASR-10
Korg X2
Akai AX60
Roland PK-5

http://www.beyonddarwin.com/images/msBRKeys4.jpg

Is there anyone that is good with programming a Z1?  My dying Akai has a randomiser that is good for The Camera Eye but I need to reproduce it on the Z1.  I am kinda new and the actual programming part and the manual is not being much of a help.

Very nice rig, including the guitars. Which Rush songs can you play, and which ones do you find yourself coming back to most often? And where are you from? Looks like Eastern Standard Time?

Edited by psionic11

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Mar 1 2011, 11:07 AM)
I use an AKAI MPK49 midi controller into a Macbook Pro with an i5 processor.

My main synth is Absynth 5 but I also use Ableton Live 8 for live gigs and studio production.

Absynth and Ableton Live... very good choices!

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jul 6 2011, 09:07 PM)
My new configuration. 

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/269027_1867820498491_1330422684_31650536_4336066_n.jpg

Nice! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

All I have is a Roland Juno Di and a Casio WK-200 (which I rarely use), along with a old Wurlitzer piano.

I'd love to have a Roland Fantom G-8 and a Minimoog. I was looking at the Gaia, but I think I will hold off before buying another synth. I'm not in a band, so I really wouldn't have much use for it. The Juno was affordable and is great for what I use it for.