Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

Did I mention that I am getting a Korg M3 - 73?

Sorry about the duplicate post! I can't wait!!! Comes in Tuesday. I've been reading the owners manual and making room in my home studio.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 16 2008, 10:33 PM)
YAY! - I am now the proud owner of:

http://www.santiamusic.com/onlinestore/pic_products/1181059433m3_center.jpg

Korg M3-73. I love buying new stuff! biggrin.gif

I saw that in a local music store. All I can say is "wow". ohmy.gif

Korg M3-73. I love buying new stuff!  biggrin.gif

Hey, me too! It is an awesome synth. I sold my Radias and got this M3 and expanded it with the Radias expansioncard. It sounds awesome, never regretted getting it. The Karma function is so fun to play with. I only have the 61 keys though. But the keys themselves are so much better than on other synths.

Ah! my people! smile.gif

Current setup .. for the Gabble Ratchet gigs:

--Hammond XK-2 (for the obligatory organ sounds)

--E-Mu Vintage Keys keyboard (for the Mellotrons and Yamaha CP80) (I had a rackmount unit of this but my rack was stolen in April sad.gif )

--Roland JP-8000 (for the lead sounds and a good approximation of the old RMI electric piano)

Also, I found myself an MXR Phase 100 to get that mid-70s Tony Banks organ "Sound". Run through the Hammond at the appropriate times and BANG! There you have it.

In addition I've got:

Roland JX3P - had it since I was a wee lad (1983)

Roland SoundCanvas

Kurzweil SP88 which is in need of repairs!

--Matt

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (Snowman @ Sep 3 2008, 03:54 PM)

Korg M3-73. I love buying new stuff!  biggrin.gif

Hey, me too! It is an awesome synth. I sold my Radias and got this M3 and expanded it with the Radias expansioncard. It sounds awesome, never regretted getting it. The Karma function is so fun to play with. I only have the 61 keys though. But the keys themselves are so much better than on other synths.

Nice man. I love it so far. I got the radias expansion - haven't used the radias a whole lot yet, but love the sounds this thing makes. I kept my Yamaha for the pianos and organs, but everything else is Korg M3!

The pianosounds from Korg I can accept, Yamaha is better here. The organsounds are sadly too weak. Been looking for some good organsounds for a long time....Nothing beats the old hammond it looks like. NordLead have some good organsounds, but they are far too expensive...

So, if anyone knows about a cheap synth or a sofwaresynth that have some asskicking orgaonsounds......? It would be much appreaciated! ph34r.gif

But not much beats Korg on the synthsounds and userfriendliness. IMO.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Sep 4 2008, 11:49 AM)
The pianosounds from Korg I can accept, Yamaha is better here. The organsounds are sadly too weak. Been looking for some good organsounds for a long time....Nothing beats the old hammond it looks like. NordLead have some good organsounds, but they are far too expensive...

So, if anyone knows about a cheap synth or a sofwaresynth that have some asskicking orgaonsounds......? It would be much appreaciated! ph34r.gif

I have used to Native Instruments B4 with decent results. I am also a big fan of Reason. There are some Hammondy ReFills available.

I play with a serious Hammond player who has a couple different Hammonds, including a B3 chop, a C3 and a couple Leslies. He sold one of the 3 he had to Joey DiFrancesco who is a well known Hammond player. He detests all manner of replica organ sounds, but in a pinch will use his Hammond XK when playing other keyboards. He says the problem with many of the Hammond soundalikes and Leslie simulators is that they use a pitch variance rather than an amplitude. He can hear the difference immediately. I guess the XK's don't do that and are more true to the original.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 4 2008, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Sep 4 2008, 11:49 AM)

So, if anyone knows about a cheap synth or a sofwaresynth that have some asskicking orgaonsounds......? It would be much appreaciated!  ph34r.gif

I have used to Native Instruments B4 with decent results. I am also a big fan of Reason. There are some Hammondy ReFills available.

I play with a serious Hammond player who has a couple different Hammonds, including a B3 chop, a C3 and a couple Leslies. He sold one of the 3 he had to Joey DiFrancesco who is a well known Hammond player. He detests all manner of replica organ sounds, but in a pinch will use his Hammond XK when playing other keyboards. He says the problem with many of the Hammond soundalikes and Leslie simulators is that they use a pitch variance rather than an amplitude. He can hear the difference immediately. I guess the XK's don't do that and are more true to the original.

yes.gif

I am VERY happy with the XK2. Bought it used, so it wasn't too expensive, but it sounds great!!

I just bought this! biggrin.gif

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/roland-juno-stage-synth.jpg

The Roland Juno Stage synthesizer wub.gif

It's such an epic synth for the price smile.gif Very happy with it. I was going to go with the Juno-G but when I saw this one! ohmy.gif

I currently use the Roland PK-5 for my live performances coupled with my computer by way of the MOTU USB Midi interface. What I do is just MIDI IN to my PC in a rack case and use Cubase SX with a VST plug known as the OP-X Pro.

The OP-X pro is an amazing piece of software for emulating early to mid RUSH sounds. Whether it be the Sample and Hold for The Camera Eye or the swishing sounds for Xanadu it's all in there. The MOOG patches are amazing as well. Need the perfect sound for Tom Sawyer? It's there and easily created. Anyone who can't afford the real OB-X piece I suggest you look into this VST plug-in. THe only downside is you need a rig that has enough balls to push it all with no latency. I have a P4 3.0 with 3 GIG of memory and it all works perfectly.

Other than that my bass player has way too much crap to list or even remember. Two keyboards, a PK of his own and three modules? Not even sure anymore. All I know is that it all sounds awesome.

Software is where it's at these days boys.

banghead.gif 2.gif

You're lucky you guys own a Korg M3. I wanted that keyboard so badly myself, but never got the chance to get one due to financial and personal reasons. sad.gif

Update (so I feel special laugh.gif )

Keyboards:

Yamaha YPT-210 (for practice)

M-Audio Keystation 49e

Software:

M-Audio Session KeyStudio

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:22 AM)
Update (so I feel special laugh.gif )

Keyboards:
M-Audio Keystation 49e

Software:

I forgot to mention that I haven't recorded anything on it yet - I actually haven't had that much time to get the hang of it - but as soon as I record something, I'll upload it to TRFMusicians (I need to sign up first laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:22 AM)
Update (so I feel special  laugh.gif  )

Keyboards:
M-Audio Keystation 49e

Software:

I forgot to mention that I haven't recorded anything on it yet - I actually haven't had that much time to get the hang of it - but as soon as I record something, I'll upload it to TRFMusicians (I need to sign up first laugh.gif )

Cool. Now, get busy! wink.gif

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 11 2009, 01:52 PM)
Here is my setup:

Korg DW6000 (used for Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Witch Hunt, etc)
Korg DW8000
Korg EX8000
Korg M1

Virutal Keyboard on my laptop (Oberheim OP-X)

Here is a picture of my setup. What do you think?

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/20/l_241bf290098240e892aeebcc20b15d76.jpg

QUOTE (Cyberdude @ Dec 7 2009, 01:31 AM)
Great setup a few decades ago,
but it can all be replaced with a laptop, Ableton Live and a few VST's.

There's a laptop in the photo and remark about the "virtual keyboard" above that.

And a VST is an open system of plugin development and integration. You mean a virtual instrument or softsynth. I have tons of "VSTs" that are not instruments.

QUOTE (Cyberdude @ Dec 7 2009, 09:31 AM)

To be honest, for a dedicated keyboardist (by which I mean, plays only keyboards live), the setup is actually pretty average in size.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Dec 7 2009, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Cyberdude @ Dec 7 2009, 09:31 AM)

To be honest, for a dedicated keyboardist (by which I mean, plays only keyboards live), the setup is actually pretty average in size.

Most bands I have seen have 1 maybe 2 keyboards.

I have 4 professional keyboards (no radio shack knock offs) and 1 virtual oberheim OPX on my laptop.

Albeit, they are from the 80's, they suit me very well for replicating the sounds I need to perform Rush music live.

QUOTE (Cyberdude @ Dec 7 2009, 04:31 AM)

yes.gif

I'm moving to computers now. I will keep my synths, but only to control the VST's I will be running. But, I do think it is very cool to collect those old vintage synths. Would love to find a Synclavier to invest in - they have sold for up to $500,000.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Synclavier1_JB.jpg/470px-Synclavier1_JB.jpg