Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

in my prog band, my live rig was;

Roland SH101, Roland Juno106; Yamaha DX7 Yamaha DX9; Technics Organ; Ensoniq Mirage; Proteus orchestral; Korg X5Dr; Akai S200 Sampler; Casio MT1200 with Moog sticker over the name to make it look cool!

stopped playing keyboards in bands cos it took to much damm work to set up , play then break\k down again.

Play bass - plug and play and rock out

much simpler (except i have to sing as well)

QUOTE (M-Class Planet @ Jun 25 2010, 04:26 AM)

Roland SH101, Roland Juno106; Yamaha DX7 Yamaha DX9; Technics Organ; Ensoniq Mirage; Proteus orchestral; Korg X5Dr; Akai S200 Sampler; Casio MT1200 with Moog sticker over the name to make it look cool!

stopped playing keyboards in bands cos it took to much damm work to set up , play then break\k down again.

That's a hell of a rig! Is it nice being able to actually see the audience now? tongue.gif

Did anyone catch what Alex said about keyboards in the documentary?

"A keyboard is not an instrument."

And a laptop is, Mr. Lifeson? wtf.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 25 2010, 03:55 PM)

Roland SH101, Roland Juno106; Yamaha DX7 Yamaha DX9;              Technics Organ; Ensoniq Mirage;  Proteus orchestral; Korg X5Dr; Akai S200 Sampler; Casio MT1200 with Moog sticker over the name to make it look cool!

That's a hell of a rig! Is it nice being able to actually see the audience now? tongue.gif

I can relate... I was much the same for many years.

Finally, I got Ableton Live.

I produce my songs in advance, move them to a usb stick and accompany them LIVE with my Korg Triton Le.

It doesn't look nearly as impressive (as all those keyboards) but it sure is easier to setup and tear down!

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 25 2010, 03:55 PM)

Roland SH101, Roland Juno106; Yamaha DX7 Yamaha DX9;              Technics Organ; Ensoniq Mirage;  Proteus orchestral; Korg X5Dr; Akai S200 Sampler; Casio MT1200 with Moog sticker over the name to make it look cool!

Well i do miss my cape!!!

the most fun is actually being able to jump around a bit. i can see why Ged used to get so frustrated round the Signals to HYF days

Howdy,

Just joined the forum, here's my gear list:

Synths - Moog Minimoog, Moog Sonic Six, Moog Taurus (I) pedals, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Electro-Harmonix Mini-Synthesizer. I've been watching for an Oberheim OB-X, but always seem to miss them when they come up.

Electric pianos - Wurlitzer 200, Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73, Hohner Pianet N

Harpsichords - Neupert double-manual acoustic (1962), Baldwin electric harpsichord

Organs - Hammond M-102, Vox Continental, Farfisa Compact Duo, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G-101, Lowrey TBO-1, Lowrey DSO-1

Misc - Mellotron M400, Hohner Clavinet D6, Roland CR-78 drum machine, LinnDrum, Simmons SDS-V brain and kit, Baldwin spinet piano, Nord Stage 88.

Sort of irrelevant to this thread, but I also play bass and have various gear there (incl. the great Rickenbacker 4001).

LeChuck

QUOTE (Boyd @ Jun 27 2010, 09:44 AM)
Did anyone catch what Alex said about keyboards in the documentary?

"A keyboard is not an instrument."

And a laptop is, Mr. Lifeson? wtf.gif

Yea, I'm pretty sure he was kidding when he said that. Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and Bach would politely disagree. wink.gif

QUOTE (LeChuck @ Jul 17 2010, 10:25 AM)
Howdy,

Just joined the forum, here's my gear list:

Synths - Moog Minimoog, Moog Sonic Six, Moog Taurus (I) pedals, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Electro-Harmonix Mini-Synthesizer. I've been watching for an Oberheim OB-X, but always seem to miss them when they come up.

Electric pianos - Wurlitzer 200, Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73, Hohner Pianet N

Harpsichords - Neupert double-manual acoustic (1962), Baldwin electric harpsichord

Organs - Hammond M-102, Vox Continental, Farfisa Compact Duo, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G-101, Lowrey TBO-1, Lowrey DSO-1

Misc - Mellotron M400, Hohner Clavinet D6, Roland CR-78 drum machine, LinnDrum, Simmons SDS-V brain and kit, Baldwin spinet piano, Nord Stage 88.

Sort of irrelevant to this thread, but I also play bass and have various gear there (incl. the great Rickenbacker 4001).

LeChuck

So you are an evil undead pirate?

tongue.gif

Nice gear.

A "keyboard" is an actual instrument, such as a piano, harpsichord or organ. "Synthesizers" have evolved into musical instruments to a degree, but Dr. Moog did not even want to put a musical keyboard on the first one he built until someone asked him how it was to be played. He never intended for them to become "tempered" for tuning chromatically. Because of the nature of the first synths they were hard to keep in tune.

Synthesizers are used for far more things than music alone. Let's just call it an electronic device.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 5 2010, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Aug 5 2010, 10:42 AM)
I did score that Roland SH-32

Now the fun begins  653.gif

Do tell!

The fun will be trying to recreate as many rush sound patches as possible on the Roland SH-32. Lots of knobs, sliders and buttons to play with tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 20 2010, 11:48 AM)
Yea, I'm pretty sure he was kidding when he said that.

I dunno. I think he was dead serious. I can understand his displeasure of having to fight for his space amongst the ever-growing synth presence. But to completely dismiss it as an instrument?

QUOTE (Boyd @ Aug 29 2010, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 20 2010, 11:48 AM)
Yea, I'm pretty sure he was kidding when he said that.

I dunno. I think he was dead serious. I can understand his displeasure of having to fight for his space amongst the ever-growing synth presence. But to completely dismiss it as an instrument?

I'm sure he was kidding. If he wasn't, then he is just dumb. I mean, how can you hear a Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven piece and not think that the keyboard is an instrument. confused13.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 7 2010, 02:42 PM)
I just checked out a video demo for that module. Not sure if it is the right type of synth for what you are trying to do. It seems simple enough on the surface but if you are a beginner you may have a tougher time getting the results you want. If you are familiar with synthesis then you might be ok. The sounds seem fatter than many digital synths but I think the learning curve may be a bit steep.

Actually, I think the SH32 is a much better device to learn synthesis on. I learned on a Roland D-10, which is notoriously hard to program, and the user interface and manual are totally cryptic. The SH32 is laid out suspiciously similar to a MiniMoog, with easily accessible buttons and an instinctive user interface. Not only that, but you see the cause and effect of the parameter changes much more clearly. The presets are killer, and much closer to the old vintage analog Rush sounds than any digital synth I've seen so far. Don't expect miracles, but with a little bit of work, I found it can do a lot of the Minimoog and Oberheim stuff quite well.

Phew. I just had to do a school project where I had to create a short piece of music using only FM synthesis. No presets, we had to program everything ourselves. And MAN, was it ever rewarding. FM is so underrated. It doesn't deserve the bad rap that cheesy mid-80's pop gave it; it's capable of so much more.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 16 2010, 09:28 PM)
Phew. I just had to do a school project where I had to create a short piece of music using only FM synthesis. No presets, we had to program everything ourselves. And MAN, was it ever rewarding. FM is so underrated. It doesn't deserve the bad rap that cheesy mid-80's pop gave it; it's capable of so much more.

Algorithms and more algorithms. bleh - I hated creating patches from scratch on my old DX7. FM synthesis was one of the first ways to re-create traditional instruments, such as pianos, which used to be WAY COOL, back in the early 80's. We're talking pre-affordable sample tech.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 18 2010, 04:46 PM)

Algorithms and more algorithms. bleh - I hated creating patches from scratch on my old DX7. FM synthesis was one of the first ways to re-create traditional instruments, such as pianos, which used to be WAY COOL, back in the early 80's. We're talking pre-affordable sample tech.

I've got a DX7 too, and yeah, it's a pain in the ass. I did most of the project using FM8 by Native Instruments, which is a LOT easier to use but doesn't have quite the same sound as the DX7.

Those emulations do sound pretty dated laugh.gif I'm so glad we have the sample-based and physical modelling stuff now to take care of it. I'd still gladly use FM for weird, synthy sounds...it can make a lot of awesome sounds that don't sound like cliche'd 80's stuff.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 18 2010, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 18 2010, 04:46 PM)

I've got a DX7 too, and yeah, it's a pain in the ass. I did most of the project using FM8 by Native Instruments, which is a LOT easier to use but doesn't have quite the same sound as the DX7.

Those emulations do sound pretty dated laugh.gif I'm so glad we have the sample-based and physical modelling stuff now to take care of it. I'd still gladly use FM for weird, synthy sounds...it can make a lot of awesome sounds that don't sound like cliche'd 80's stuff.

the dreaded Doogie Houser sound. LOL