Which, When and Why?

Slime

The first album I bought with my own money was Moving Pictures shortly after it was released. I had heard 2112 at a neighbor's house the year before, and of course Spirit of Radio and Closer to the Heart were played on the radio stations a lot back then. So, I was familiar with Rush. But, MP sold me on them completely. The second album I bought with my own money was Exit Stage Left. That sealed the deal.

first rush album I bough was All the World's a Stage. My drum teacher at the time had told me that I should listen to this band called Rush, my brother was a big fan already, so I asked him if I could borrow one of his cd's, he leant me ATWAS, so I could hear Neil's solo. I was hooked from the first guitar riffs of Bastile Day (to this day it remains one of my favorite songs), and so I went out a couple weeks later and bought my own copy of it. The first of the studio album I bought was Caress of Steel, figuring that the rest of the album would sound like Bastille Day. Even though it didn't, I still really enjoyed it, and since then have bought all of the albums except for Spirit of Radio which I refuse to get.

Great topic. Good reads.

I got my first Rush album about one year ago. It was A Show of Hands and I downloaded it off of iTunes. I was getting ready to make a 1 1/2 hour trip to the Jersey shore, and wanted a new CD to listen to for the ride. So, I looked around on iTunes, knowing that I wanted a live Rush disc that included "Subdivisions," I decided on A Show of Hands. I quickly downloaded it, burned it, and popped it into my car CD player. I wasn't very familiar with their catalogue beyond what the casual fan would know, but as soon as I hit play and they came out of the gate with "The Big Money," I couldn't help but get totally into it. Typically, if I get an album just for one song, I'll switch to it, or back to it pretty consistently while listening through. Not this one, I listened strait through, grooving to every track on there. Before I even got out of Pennsylvania and into New Jersey, I was hooked. They became my favorite band that day, and that hasn't changed a bit since. That disc is why I have such an attachment to the GUP and PW albums. But I'm into their entire catalogue now.

Moving Pictures. 3 years ago.

I was a kid who heard about how good Neil Peart was, so i decided to check out Rush. I dled Vital Signs and YYZ from the album, and i loved them both. Then i heard Limelight and fell in love with that one as well. So i decided to go and buy the CD. Then i fell in love with Rush after i saw a clip of Rush in Rio on OnDemand, but the cd and dvd, and became a lunatic. I got every CD that they have made since then, and i am waiting to go to a concert. Unfortunately i got into them after they came to my area.

Since then, im a Rush and Prog head.

The 1st Rush album I HEARD was AFTK. It was their newest release. I was 4 or 5 at the time. One of my older bros had most of their albums and continued buying more so I HAD to listen. After MP I was a solid fan (and not even 10 yet). But that brother moved out sometime after GUP. It meant that ALL Rush albums were GONE with him. This led to me buying my first Rush (tape)...Power Windows. I was 13. Ahh, memories. smile.gif

Sort of interesting side note: At the time, a friend of mine argued with me that this new album by 'Til Tuesday destroyed Power Windows. We argued and argued and ragged each other's bands' singers (despite NOT disliking each other's favorite vocalists). Then next album, 'Til Tuesday's Aimee Mann sung on Time Stand Still. Magic! We laughed at each other for the previous wasted time argueing.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jun 6 2006, 12:33 PM)
I hope this hasn't been covered before.

Simply, WHICH Rush album was your very first that you listened to, WHEN did you buy it and WHY did you buy it? No compilations, please.

My very first Rush album that I bought was 2112. I bought it sometime in 2004 because I was able to buy it along with two other albums for $30 at HMV. I was introduced to Rush mere days before they were set to play Molson Rocks Toronto and decided they were cool. I had already got The Spirit of Radio hits collection and liked it enough. When I saw the price for 2112 at HMV, I was convinced that I must have it and I've loved it since. Now I have all of their studio albums and R30 and Rio (still need the other live stuff).

Here is my tale of how I got each Rush disc's thread

Stories of how I got each Rush album

About this time of year 29, yes twenty-nine, years ago the Ericsson brothers turned me on to ATWAS. Got it later that summer (77) and saw the AFTK show in DC Dec 3, 77.

Nice to hear Fly By Night/In The Mood from ATWAS in Guitar Center today after a fender bender, and I don't mean a type of guitar lick.

666=18=9

Then I went and saw United 93. (this evening.)

Realized recently I've been alive for over 16,000 days.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 6 2006, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 6 2006, 08:22 PM)
except for Spirit of Radio which I refuse to get.

Shame. Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science (on the same CD) can't be beaten.

You're thinking of Permanent Waves. The original poster was refering to the compilation CD Spirit of Radio.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2006, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 6 2006, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 6 2006, 08:22 PM)
except for Spirit of Radio which I refuse to get.

Shame. Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science (on the same CD) can't be beaten.

You're thinking of Permanent Waves. The original poster was refering to the compilation CD Spirit of Radio.

oh i thought he meant the song, and was referring to the album by the song's name, meaining that he refused to get the song and consequently not get the album. oops.

First Album: "Signals"

Age then: 16

Purchase Date: May 2000

Place: Best Buy

Why: Because I had heard "Subdivisions" on the radio.

Been hooked to Rush ever since, and always will. 2.gif icon_alienjig.gif

First I got: Vapor Trails (won on the radio before the release date)

First I purchased with my own money: Moving Pictures.

Between these two events, I had also recieved 2112 as a gift. I would have been 12-13, in 2002.

On April 23, 2004, I completed my entire colection.

Sorry for bringing this topic back to the top but I'm a newbie to the site...

It's very interesting to see the old timers contrasted with relative new comers who just recently got hooked.

I can't imagine what it would be like to just now find Rush and start going through their various releases. It's definately a much different experience then those who have been around a while.

"Growing up" with Rush is much different than diving in now, as the albums take on a feel / memory of that time of your life. That's why I can't pick a "favorite" as it changes depending on my mood and what's going on in my life. Certain albums definitely bring back more vivid memories than others. It was very interesting hearing Rush evolve over the past 28+ years I've been listening.

One funny note - I was actually a bit pissed off when Moving Pictures came out and got some radio attention. These "spur of the moment" fans started popping up when they really didn't know anything about Rush outside of "Tom Sawyer". I was a die-hard fan and they had no right to claim to be a fan! biggrin.gif

Back to the OT... I don't remember which album I got first, but I was hooked around 1977-78. I remember listening to Hemispheres and all the previous stuff - then was all over PW when it was released. I vividly remember wearing big ole Rush belt buckle with my corduroy bell-bottom pants in 8th grade. Nobody had a clue who they where. wink.gif

-al

My first album was Moving Pictures. I bought it shortly after it was released. I was lying in bed listening to the radio as I was going to sleep, and Tom Sawyer came on. Being a drummer in beginner band...I soiled myself. The next day, on the way to school...I rode with this REALLY COOL girl who was three years older than I...I was talking about the song. I didn't know what band did it. She said, "oh, that's Rush. They are really good", and popped in Permanent Waves. The rest, so they say, is history.

This friend of mine had heard it too, and was freaking out. We got his parents to take us to the MP/ESL show. It was GREAT! I've not missed a tour since.

GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

Signals, [/i]back in '82, all thanks to my inadvertantly reminding a guy I quite liked at the time of Geddy Lee. You see, my voice gets kind of, well, squeaky when I start getting hyper, and he was telling me about having seen another band I quite like like, and I finally squeaked "Oh my GOD!" about midway through his story. After he stopped cringing, he said, "Okay, please don't do that anymore. You sound like Geddy Lee." I suppose if he'd liked Rush, it might have been one thing, but he HATED them. After he spent twenty minutes telling me how much they sucked, I decided I had to listen for them the next time they came on the radio. The first song I heard was "New World Man" so I (a) had no idea why Phil thought I sounded like Geddy and (cool.gif had no idea why he thought they sucked. Still don't...

(And yeah, I also ended up with the biggest crush on Geddy - this at a time when all my girlfriends had a thing for either Rick Springfield of Tom Cruise, but I won't go into that here... biggrin.gif )

I just randomly bought 2112 thinking, eh, I heard these guys were good. I quickly bought all their albums and now trying to get as many as I can on LP (records...). Now I can't stop worshipping them.

I was 13 when I first heard Rush. An older friend of mine played the Twilight Zone for me and I was blown away. Geddy's androgynous voice and the lyrics of the song were unlike anything I had ever heard. So I borrowed the 2112 record and basically wore it out.

I bought Hemispheres when it came out in 78 so I could share it with my friend. I was 14 at the time. I still have the vinyl record as well as the CD.

about 15 or 20 years ago;; maybe more or less;; a piano student of mine wanted to learn a song called "tom Sawyer" bu Rush;;

i have head a bit about them but knew nothing about them;; sooooo;;

we bought the music for Tom Sawyer and ((I WAS IMPRESSES)) with the timing and riffs;; and chord changes;; although i may be getting confused in my head on other songs in the book..

soooo,, i started keeping my eyes open for Rush and ears open to them;; but;;

not until the T-Board recommented this site to me and my association with them (good and bad;; lol);; that i became a Rush fan and started buying up everything i can get my hands on..

of course i DO tend to re-mix a bit and change things around;; *i love to send Rush into the ocean and play a bit*

I first heard Rush in about late '84 or early '85 on the USA network on their video show they showed every Fri. & Sat. nights from 12:00 AM to 6:00AM. I believe it was called USA Night Flight. They showed the whole of ESL one night and I was hooked immediately. The next chance I had I bought some Rush. These 2 turned out to be Caress of Steel and Power Windows (the brand new album at the time) from the local K-Mart. I have never looked back and Power Windows is still my favorite of all time. And Caress is bad-ass too.cool.gif

Archived