Marvel comics movie news

Jack Aubrey

Thanks to Jo Blo:

Avi Arad spoke with Empire Magazine for their latest issue and had a few interesting things to say about SPIDER-MAN 3, FANTASTIC FOUR 2, and the HULK sequel. According to Arad, the next chapter in the saga of Bruce Banner, now called THE INCREDIBLE HULK and set for a 2008 release, is "still a study in anger. It's more a love story between Bruce and Betty. It has the feel of THE FUGITIVE, and Bruce is on a mission to get rid of the Hulk." He also spoke a bit about how great new villian Abomination will be but still no official word on who's to direct and if Bana is returning, despite both Bana and Arad showing interest.

As for FF2, Doom is once again to figure in the plot and both Galactus and Silver Surfer are confirmed to make appearances. Arad offered this confusing take on Galactus: "What we're trying to do is not to show him, but to show someone else, initially." Huh?

Finally, Arad explains how Spider-Man's Black Suit stands for the dark turn to be taken in No. 3: "In SPIDER-MAN 2 we wanted him to put the suit back on; here we'll want him to take it off. He cannot be the Peter we want him to be unless he takes the suit off."

And now for the real madness. As pointed out by the folks over at Filmstalker, the cast list for SPIDEY 3 over at IMDB has gone absolutely bonkers. If it is to believed, Rosemary Harris will be taking on a dual role for the second sequel: her regular one of Aunt May and also of...Carnage!? I'm not even going to touch this one. It's also a little odd that Dylan Baker has been added to the list as "Dr. Curt Connors Ph.D./The Lizard." It's entirely possible that Baker will make a cameo as Connors a la the second movie but there has been absolutely no mention of an appearance as his alter ego. There's clearly something fishy going on here.

This pic was recently posted at Ain't It Cool News.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/df07ad5b.jpg

I can't get over how much he looks like k.d. lang.

I really enjoyed the first two Spidey movies. My son will be really excited about this one, too.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 30 2006, 11:51 AM)
Jack, is IMDB a reliable source (I really don't know)?  I mean...Aunt May as Carnage?!  Seems really odd. confused13.gif     

And, yeah GG, Tobey really does look like KD there.  ohmy.gif

I went back and read the feedback on IMDB about this. The consensus is that it's someone's idea of a joke.

Yes, MacGuire does look like kd lang, but my first reaction to the pic was: "Holy monkey! It's Emo-Spidey."

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 30 2006, 09:06 AM)
Thanks to Jo Blo:

As for FF2, Doom is once again to figure in the plot and both Galactus and Silver Surfer are confirmed to make appearances. Arad offered this confusing take on Galactus: "What we're trying to do is not to show him, but to show someone else, initially." Huh?

The key thing I'm locked into here is Silver Surfer. He's always been one of my all time favorites. I hope like hell they get him into this movie. That would be the BEST! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ May 30 2006, 05:38 PM)
I know Wonder Woman is DC Comics, but wasn't there supposed to be a movie in the works since, forever?

I did a search and the latest news I could find was from March 16, 2005. Thanks to Superheo Hype:

Silver Pictures, producer of the revolutionary, $3 billion-grossing "Matrix" franchise, has signed Joss Whedon, creator of the phenomenally popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series, to write and direct the feature film action adventure Wonder Woman based on the DC Comics character. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

"We are excited about working with Joss," Robinov said. "He brings great energy and creativity to the process. His work on Buffy makes him uniquely qualified to handle the Wonder Woman character."

"There's no one better than Joss to adapt the legendary Wonder Woman comic book character created in the 1940s into a dynamic feature film for 21st century audiences," producer Joel Silver added. "Wonder Woman was the first great female superhero to emerge from comic books and later inspire millions of fans in her television incarnation, but unlike her counterparts Batman and Superman, this groundbreaking heroine has yet to be reinvented for the feature film arena."

"Wonder Woman is the most iconic female heroine of our time, but in a way, no one has met her yet," Whedon said. "What I love most about icons is finding out what's behind them, exploring the price of their power. When Joel and I began discussing the character, I realized there is a woman behind the legend who is very fascinating, very uncompromising, and in her own way, almost vulnerable. She's someone who doesn't belong in this world, and since everyone I know feels that way about themselves, the character clicked for me."

Whedon created and executive produced the hit television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which ran for seven seasons on The WB and UPN, based on his screenplay for the 1992 feature film of the same name. Whedon also created and executive produced the successful Buffy spin-off series Angel, and wrote the screenplays for the films Toy Story and Alien: Resurrection. He is currently completing post-production on the feature film Serenity, which he wrote and directed based on his television series Firefly.

Wonder Woman will be produced by Joel Silver and Leonard Goldberg, and is based on the DC Comics character created by William Moulton Marston.

Wonder Woman will be released worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 30 2006, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ May 30 2006, 05:38 PM)
I know Wonder Woman is DC Comics, but wasn't there supposed to be a movie in the works since, forever?

I did a search and the latest news I could find was from March 16, 2005. Thanks to Superheo Hype:

Silver Pictures, producer of the revolutionary, $3 billion-grossing "Matrix" franchise, has signed Joss Whedon, creator of the phenomenally popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series, to write and direct the feature film action adventure Wonder Woman based on the DC Comics character. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

"We are excited about working with Joss," Robinov said. "He brings great energy and creativity to the process. His work on Buffy makes him uniquely qualified to handle the Wonder Woman character."

"There's no one better than Joss to adapt the legendary Wonder Woman comic book character created in the 1940s into a dynamic feature film for 21st century audiences," producer Joel Silver added. "Wonder Woman was the first great female superhero to emerge from comic books and later inspire millions of fans in her television incarnation, but unlike her counterparts Batman and Superman, this groundbreaking heroine has yet to be reinvented for the feature film arena."

"Wonder Woman is the most iconic female heroine of our time, but in a way, no one has met her yet," Whedon said. "What I love most about icons is finding out what's behind them, exploring the price of their power. When Joel and I began discussing the character, I realized there is a woman behind the legend who is very fascinating, very uncompromising, and in her own way, almost vulnerable. She's someone who doesn't belong in this world, and since everyone I know feels that way about themselves, the character clicked for me."

Whedon created and executive produced the hit television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which ran for seven seasons on The WB and UPN, based on his screenplay for the 1992 feature film of the same name. Whedon also created and executive produced the successful Buffy spin-off series Angel, and wrote the screenplays for the films Toy Story and Alien: Resurrection. He is currently completing post-production on the feature film Serenity, which he wrote and directed based on his television series Firefly.

Wonder Woman will be produced by Joel Silver and Leonard Goldberg, and is based on the DC Comics character created by William Moulton Marston.

Wonder Woman will be released worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Joss Whedon is an excellent choice. Honestly, a Wonder Woman movie doesn't thrill me, but if he's writing and directing it, it's very likely to be quality...

Beware... Marvel feeds bs to the mags during filming. The aunt May thing is probably just to see who would take the bait. THOUGH... since Spidey isn't owned ONLY by Marvel... there could be some silly shit going on. You just never know. I've seen franchises that had the control by the comic company taken away KILLED. IE. Batman.

Topher is signed on to be Venom. I don't get how he can be Eddy Brock, but with CG... ANYONE can be Venom. I don't think anyone can be Carnage but Kletus Cassidy, so the aunt May thing is just comical.

Pags... I LOVE the surfer too, and some of my fave characters of all time were spawned through the FF series. Galactus, Surfer, Adam Warlock and my ultimate fave... THANOS (see Barney's "Are you obsessed with Gods" thread). BUT... the FF movie blew so bad. They totally DESTROYED everything that IS Doctor Doom. Do you really want to see them KILL the Surfer?

I hope they can find a way to do the Surfer justice on his own, unless they have some serious plans to BAIL out the FF movie franchise with a FANTASTIC save of a sequel.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 31 2006, 08:50 AM)

Pags... I LOVE the surfer too, and some of my fave characters of all time were spawned through the FF series. Galactus, Surfer, Adam Warlock and my ultimate fave... THANOS (see Barney's "Are you obsessed with Gods" thread). BUT... the FF movie blew so bad. They totally DESTROYED everything that IS Doctor Doom. Do you really want to see them KILL the Surfer?

I totally agree. And Dr. Doom wasn't the only character they bastardized. I'd TRULY hate if this happened to the Surfer. Besides, would there be any time in a 2 hour Fantastic Four movie (that would also have Doom returning) to do him properly? I think not.

DC Comics seems to be on top of making pictures faster than Marvel yet Marvel seems to be getting better than that....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 3 2006, 09:20 AM)
DC Comics seems to be on top of making pictures faster than Marvel yet Marvel seems to be getting better than that....

Marvel has made tons of movies since 2000...XMEN 1-3, Spiderman 1-2, Fantastic 4, Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher, Elektra. DC has made V, Batman Begins, History of Violence. I'm sure I'm missing a few for both companies but it would seem that Marvel is actually faster. But of course 'faster' isn't BETTER.