J. J. Abrams to direct 'Star Trek 11' *UPDATED*

Jack Aubrey

Thanks to Movie Web:

J.J. Abrams has made a deal with Paramount Pictures to write, produce and direct the 11th Star Trek film.

Variety reports the flick will center on the early days of seminal Star Trek characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

The idea of bringing the Star Trek franchise back comes less than a year after UPN pulled the plug on Star Trek: Enterprise because of poor ratings following a four-season run and four years after Star Trek: Nemesis turned in the worst performance of the 10 films with $43 million domestic.

A 2008 release is scheduled for the new Star Trek film.

Jack here: Do we really need this? 10 'Star Trek' films and the only one worth watching is Khan. You know it's true.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

Jo Blo has weighed in with more details:

I'm not a STAR TREK fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can imagine that for Trekkies this is just about the coolest news they could've possibly heard. The franchise, which was showing signs of slowing down creatively after "Enterprise" was cancelled and NEMESIS grossed the least of all the STAR TREK films, has just been given a gigantic shot in the arm courtesy of the "Lost" holy trinity. Paramount has signed "Lost" co-creators JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof to develop the 11th feature in the STAR TREK series. Abrams will direct the film with Lindelof and fellow "Lost" mate Bryan Burk producing. The film, which Paramount hopes to be ready for a 2008 release, will center on the early days of classic characters like Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock as they train at Starfleet Academy and travel on their first space mission. Abrams will co-write the film with his M:I:III screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The ambitious deal is said to be the product of how much Paramount believes in Abrams' work on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III, which opens next month. Abrams has said he'd like to be more involved with "Lost" in the upcoming third season along with Lindelof, who recently signed a new contract to stay on as "Lost" head honcho. So exactly how ecstatic are you TREK fans out there?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 07:37 AM)
Jo Blo has weighed in with more details:

I'm not a STAR TREK fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can imagine that for Trekkies this is just about the coolest news they could've possibly heard. The franchise, which was showing signs of slowing down creatively after "Enterprise" was cancelled and NEMESIS grossed the least of all the STAR TREK films, has just been given a gigantic shot in the arm courtesy of the "Lost" holy trinity. Paramount has signed "Lost" co-creators JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof to develop the 11th feature in the STAR TREK series. Abrams will direct the film with Lindelof and fellow "Lost" mate Bryan Burk producing. The film, which Paramount hopes to be ready for a 2008 release, will center on the early days of classic characters like Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock as they train at Starfleet Academy and travel on their first space mission. Abrams will co-write the film with his M:I:III screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The ambitious deal is said to be the product of how much Paramount believes in Abrams' work on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III, which opens next month. Abrams has said he'd like to be more involved with "Lost" in the upcoming third season along with Lindelof, who recently signed a new contract to stay on as "Lost" head honcho. So exactly how ecstatic are you TREK fans out there?

I'm a big Trek fan and honestly, this news is only of mild interest to me. I guess I'm not a true all-out hardcore Trekkie (i.e. I've never been and never plan on attending a Star Trek convention, never owned an action figure, etc.) like some are though. I must admit that I was majorly bummed when they cancelled Star Trek: Entereprise as I think it was a great show that had a lot more left to be said in it, but oh well.

Now if they revived Star Trek: Enterprise or started a new series at some point, THAT I'd get excited about. One two-hour movie is cool, and I'll likely see it, but I'm not too excited...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 11:34 AM)

Jack here: Do we really need this? 10 'Star Trek' films and the only one worth watching is Khan. You know it's true.

Have you not seen "First Contact?"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2006, 08:31 AM)

And Star Trek IV with the whale in San Fancisco was a great one too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2006, 11:31 AM)

Nope. I've seen 'Khan', the one with the whales which was ok, and part of a really stupid one with a fat bald guy that was supposed to be Spock's brother. After that, I gave up on 'Star Trek' movies. I've never been a fan anyway.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 01:15 PM)

Nope. I've seen 'Khan', the one with the whales which was ok, and part of a really stupid one with a fat bald guy that was supposed to be Spock's brother. After that, I gave up on 'Star Trek' movies. I've never been a fan anyway.

#5 is by far the WORST Star Trek movie ever.

It makes Nemesis look good!

(And I'm a trekkie!)

I guess i'm one of those ANY Star Trek is GOOD Trek kind of guys. I love the entire storyline and all it's spinoffs. To go back and explore the beginnings of the Kirk/Spock relationship is just too cool as far as I'm concerned. I hope the original actors are in it in some capacity. I know they killed off JT in Generations, but it's STAR TREK... anything could happen I would assume.

The way I look at it, we can be inundated with garbage from the star WARS franchise, so why not countless Star TREK movies that are at least original and have untold amount of stories to be told?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 12:15 PM)

First Contact is great.

I am not a fan of Star Trek. Star Wars eats Star Trek for breakfast.

Anyways, First Contact really impressed me. Good flick.

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 21 2006, 05:29 PM)

Star Wars eats Star Trek for breakfast.

ohmy.gif

Really? I just can't get into it. I think they're okay movies, seen them all, but I don't get the whole STAR WARS religion. I think I began losing all the respect for it when I learned about how Lucas basically ripped off the story from another movie. Some Japanese Feudal movie. I don't know the specifics, but it just irked me.

I love the brilliance of Rodenberry's Star Trek. I think it's so cool to see that so many of the "fictional" devices used in the show now exist.

For me first and foremost it's about entertainment. I don't find most of Star Trek entertaining. To me Star Wars (New Hope - Return) is one of the most visually amazing and breathtaking experiences brought to the big screen. It's grabs hold of you and never lets go. The characters are interesting and the story is great. I just don't feel anything for the characters in Star Trek.

From The Simpsons

Sulu: "It's the Klingons Captain."

Kirk: "Again with the Klingons!"

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 05:15 PM)
... and part of a really stupid one with a fat bald guy that was supposed to be Spock's brother.

Funny, I thoought William Shatner was in the first six films tongue.gif

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 21 2006, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 12:15 PM)

First Contact is great.

I am not a fan of Star Trek. Star Wars eats Star Trek for breakfast.

Anyways, First Contact really impressed me. Good flick.

yes.gif First Contact is great. Generations is also great. I haven't seen the whole thing, but Nemesis is a good flick too.

The initial report was inaccurate, here's the skinny from Coming Soon:

Empire Online caught up with Mission: Impossible III director J.J. Abrams who said that Friday's report that he will produce and direct the 11th Star Trek feature is not entirely accurate.

"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," Abrams said. "People learned that I was producing a 'Star Trek' film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumours of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

Variety said the film will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

But the Lost and Alias creator said that "We've made a pact not to discuss any specifics." Abrams is a big fan of the Original Series, however, so don't be surprised if his film does take place around the era of Kirk and Co. "Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that... you know, they could live again."

QUOTE (rushengal @ Apr 21 2006, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2006, 01:15 PM)

#5 is by far the WORST Star Trek movie ever.

It makes Nemesis look good!

(And I'm a trekkie!)

I liked ST:V I don't see why it got such a bad wrap.

My favorite was Generations though.

Nemesis was terrible, mostly because the director they had was a pedantic hack.

First Contact was a really good *movie*, but I don't think it was a great *Star Trek Movie*. I guess i'm saying it just didn't have that Star Trek Feel... You know... the Clean and Dry feel... It could've used some dryers.[/geddy] First Contact was just too dark, dreary, and non-trekky.

But then again, all of the Next Gen movies have been a little too dark. Both physically, and emotionally.

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 21 2006, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 21 2006, 05:29 PM)

Star Wars eats Star Trek for breakfast.

ohmy.gif

Really? I just can't get into it. I think they're okay movies, seen them all, but I don't get the whole STAR WARS religion. I think I began losing all the respect for it when I learned about how Lucas basically ripped off the story from another movie. Some Japanese Feudal movie. I don't know the specifics, but it just irked me.

I love the brilliance of Rodenberry's Star Trek. I think it's so cool to see that so many of the "fictional" devices used in the show now exist.

Its from Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa (great movie BTW!!)

here's a quick summary: (from IMDB)

Princess Yuki Akizuki ("Yukihime" in Japanese) is to be led through enemy territory, where she may rebuild her kingdom with gold that she has in her caravan. She is assisted by her trusted general, Rokurota Makabe, who insists that she masquarades as a mute farmer. Two minions, Tahei and Matashichi help unknowingly, as they believe they will get a piece of the gold if they help the princess attain her goals

and the page link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051808/

Just a little addendum: if you ask me, the best 'Star Trek' movie ever made was 'Galaxy Quest'.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 30 2006, 12:41 PM)
Just a little addendum: if you ask me, the best 'Star Trek' movie ever made was 'Galaxy Quest'.

laugh.gif

When SW: Phantom Menace came out I thought that Star Trek was going to do something similar. They kind of did with the show Enterprise. So I'm not too surprised that this next film would be a Kirk/Spock prequel. It's easy money for them.

As far as the Star Trek films go I only liked Wrath of Khan and 1st Contact. Someone mentioned having a 'Star Trek' feel. I think Wrath did and was great but Contact didn't but was still really good. I wouldn't call myself a trekkie but I do like alot of the material.

Oh, and yes, Galaxy Quest is a good Star Trek film...the 3rd best in my opinion. tongue.gif