Official Olympics Thread

launchpad67a

Here's your news update Arndrake:

Michelle Kwan Pulls Out of the Olympics

fe69d91e7912@news.ap.org Michelle Kwan dropped out of the Olympics on Sunday morning, one day after she cut short a practice because of a recurring groin injury.

The U.S. figure skater said Saturday she didn't want to drop out, but would have to "listen to my body." She missed last month's U.S. nationals with a groin injury, and needed a medical bye onto the Turin team.

http://www.breitbart.com/images/2006/2/12/D8FNETN81/D8FNETN81_preview.jpg

This was to be the last chance at the elusive Olympic gold for Kwan, 25, the face of figure skating for the past decade. Though she won five world championships and nine U.S. titles, she always came up short at the Olympics, winning a silver medal in 1998 and a bronze in 2002.

The U.S. Olympic Committee submitted a request to replace Kwan with Emily Hughes, the third-place finisher at last month's nationals. An answer is expected later this week, and Hughes was expected to travel to Turin on Sunday.

www.breitbart.com

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USAToday's medal predictions:

Germany 42

USA 31

Norway 27

Canada 20

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 12 2006, 12:37 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 11 2006, 01:32 PM)
You know I have never watched a Womens hockey game before this is pretty good.

ohmy.gif

Wait til u see when US and Canada play each other...Hope this year's Gold Medal Game is as intense and exciting as the last time they played for Gold yes.gif

biggrin.gif Haley Wickenheiser went to my high school....booyah!

and her mom was one of my teachers lmao...

Jayna Hefford went to mine biggrin.gif

8 players from the Hurricanes are going to play in Torino. Today they are holding a kind of celebration with a game at the RBC Center.

Sorry to interrupt, but... OMG, that's Eddie Gaedel! Nice avatar, dude!

Back to the Big O...

thanks. he walked in his only plate appearance. too bad he was banned shortly after his appearance. he would been a helluva weapon to have on the bench in bases loaded situations.

I watched the women's speed skating last night.

A young Dutch girl won the final. It was great as she posted the winning time quite early in the final and we had to watch each successive round go by hoping no-one would beat her score. She was so excited when the last pair were so far behind the pace that she knew she had won it.

Yeah, Bode Miller is overexposed. I'm beginning to think he overshadows Michelle Kwan in the "media" department.

Too bad he fell behind in the downhill 1022.gif

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Feb 13 2006, 02:20 AM)
is physical contact allowed in womens hockey? i keep waiting for some of the bigger russians to hit the players in front of the net but they wont.

no

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 13 2006, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Raider917 @ Feb 13 2006, 02:20 AM)
is physical contact allowed in womens hockey? i keep waiting for some of the bigger russians to hit the players in front of the net but they wont.

no

sure you can push and you know...hip check...just not into the boards.

Canadian skier Allison Forsyth suffered a torn knee ligament in a crash during Monday's Olympic downhill training runs at San Sicario, Italy.

I cringed when I saw it...because I know injuries. Poor girl sad.gif

BUT she can reconstructive surgery and make a come back...it's possible!

So many sportsmen and sportswomen competing, and it seems that Americans and Russians are gonna sweep all gold and silver, just because they are AMERICANS or... whereas, in a number of cases, their level is far worse than than the one of other competitors! wtf.gif What are they all trying to prove?? Regrettable and boring!!! Shame to sport in general!!! angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 14 2006, 09:54 AM)
So many sportsmen and sportswomen competing, and it seems that Americans and Russians are gonna sweep all gold and silver, just because they are AMERICANS or...  whereas, in a number of cases, their level is far worse than than the one of other competitors! wtf.gif  What are they all trying to prove??  Regrettable and boring!!! Shame to sport in general!!!  angry.gif  angry.gif

I'm sorry. I don't understand what you're trying to say there.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 14 2006, 01:54 AM)
So many sportsmen and sportswomen competing, and it seems that Americans and Russians are gonna sweep all gold and silver, just because they are AMERICANS or...  whereas, in a number of cases, their level is far worse than than the one of other competitors! wtf.gif  What are they all trying to prove??  Regrettable and boring!!! Shame to sport in general!!!  angry.gif  angry.gif

I don't understand what you are trying to say either. In general, it is the Norwegians, Finns, Germans, and Austrians who dominate the Winter Olympics. They usually have the highest medal counts when it's all over. Now because of advancing training programs in other countries (just look at what the Chinese have done in figure skating and short track speed skating in the past decade), the domination is not as extensive.

Americans and Russians do not 'dominate' the medals because of who we are. If that were the case, we would probably lose all the time, just because many countries think of us as bullies. American training programs, although not as strong as some other countries, are strong because of the support received from corporate grants. The US Olympic Committee doesn't get any government support. Strong support gives strong recruitment and training, which results in medals.

Personally, I admire Olympian athletes no matter what country they represent. Although, certain athletes seem to abuse the spotlight.

By the way, The U.S. does not have the most medals at these games as I write this, but they do have the most golds so far.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 14 2006, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 14 2006, 01:54 AM)

I don't understand what you are trying to say either. In general, it is the Norwegians, Finns, Germans, and Austrians who dominate the Winter Olympics. They usually have the highest medal counts when it's all over. Now because of advancing training programs in other countries (just look at what the Chinese have done in figure skating and short track speed skating in the past decade), the domination is not as extensive.

Americans and Russians do not 'dominate' the medals because of who we are. If that were the case, we would probably lose all the time, just because many countries think of us as bullies. American training programs, although not as strong as some other countries, are strong because of the support received from corporate grants. The US Olympic Committee doesn't get any government support. Strong support gives strong recruitment and training, which results in medals.

Tis' true

Archived