Official Olympics Thread

launchpad67a

I am a big fan of the Alpine Skiing events. The Downhill is definitely an adrenaline booster. The slalom and GS are technical events, requiring command of mind, muscle, and the course. Alpine skiiers are amazing athletes.

I used to really enjoy watching Picabo Street, thought she was a great athlete with lots of charisma. Plus she's an Idaho native living in Oregon.

Bode is kind of a conflicting choice this year. So much talent, but that rebellious image makes it hard to root for him. Not to say you can't root for rebels. Billy Johnson was one back in '84 and a lot of people still rooted for him to win. Darren Rhalves is the favorite for the Downhill anyway.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 10 2006, 06:00 PM)
I am a big fan of the Alpine Skiing events. The Downhill is definitely an adrenaline booster. The slalom and GS are technical events, requiring command of mind, muscle, and the course. Alpine skiiers are amazing athletes.

I used to really enjoy watching Picabo Street, thought she was a great athlete with lots of charisma. Plus she's an Idaho native living in Oregon.

Bode is kind of a conflicting choice this year. So much talent, but that rebellious image makes it hard to root for him. Not to say you can't root for rebels. Billy Johnson was one back in '84 and a lot of people still rooted for him to win. Darren Rhalves is the favorite for the Downhill anyway.

Yes, Picabo Street was amazing.

I believe the alpine skiing is tomorrow according to the schedule I linked in an earlier post.

I'm psyched and I DEFINITELY prefer Winter over Summer Olympics.

My grandfather won a silver medal for the Americans for 4-man bobsledding back in 1954 in Oslo, Norway. My mom's got the medal now, but sometimes I borrow it to show off to people; it's impressive.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 10 2006, 11:09 PM)

My grandfather won a silver medal for the Americans for 4-man bobsledding back in 1954 in Oslo, Norway.  My mom's got the medal now, but sometimes I borrow it to show off to people; it's impressive.

that's very cool! applaudit.gif

You should get a pic and post it here! yes.gif

The Opening was an 'All Time' leading multi-media event!! What a huge production, and just truly spectacular!!!! I must say, from someone who works for these types events, This was the largest undertaking to date. My praise goes out to all who were/are involved. Nice Work!!

A Mastermind of Engineering!!!!!!!!! Just Brilliant.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Feb 11 2006, 08:19 AM)
The Opening was an 'All Time' leading multi-media event!! What a huge production, and just truly spectacular!!!! I must say, from someone who works for these types events, This was the largest undertaking to date. My praise goes out to all who were/are involved. Nice Work!!
A Mastermind of Engineering!!!!!!!!! Just Brilliant.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

i couldn't agree more!! it was spectacular!!

ice skating and hockey are my two favorite events... but i love the downhill sking too... slalom..luge...i just love it all man!!!!

I'm glad I found my topic and really appreciate being told it was merged with another one. comp26.gif

Anyway, the opening ceremonies were great. I loved it when they said "Peter Gabriel, the original singer of Genesis, will perform 'Imagine' by John Lennon".

Yoko Ono reading the lyrics? 062802puke_prv.gif

One thing that I truly don't like is Bob Costas continually saying "this (insert example here) is symbolic of....". It's a shame that they leave in the commentary during this. It interrupts the spectacle somehow.

I did like the disco tunes and 80's new wave hits during the Parade of Nations. Otherwise just watching the nations march in would be just boring.

I had to turn it off when Luciano Pavarotti started performing though. I was too sleepy by that point to care about an opera singer.

Hopefully, I'll be able to see some Alpine skiing today. (It's overcast and rainy here in central NC.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 10 2006, 08:09 PM)

My grandfather won a silver medal for the Americans for 4-man bobsledding back in 1954 in Oslo, Norway. My mom's got the medal now, but sometimes I borrow it to show off to people; it's impressive.

ok....THAT IS SOOOO COOL! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 11 2006, 07:08 AM)
One thing that I truly don't like is Bob Costas continually saying "this (insert example here) is symbolic of....". It's a shame that they leave in the commentary during this. It interrupts the spectacle somehow.

Come on, Bob Costas is the greatest broadcaster in the history of broadcasting! We should all feel fortunate that he gets this gig instead of say, John Madden!! laugh.gif

It looks like the US & Canada womens hockey teams have no competition so far. Not til they play each other. I watching both their games today. US won 6-0 & Canada was winning 9-0 the last I saw.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 11 2006, 01:32 PM)
You know I have never watched a Womens hockey game before this is pretty good.

ohmy.gif

Wait til u see when US and Canada play each other...Hope this year's Gold Medal Game is as intense and exciting as the last time they played for Gold yes.gif

biggrin.gif Haley Wickenheiser went to my high school....booyah!

and her mom was one of my teachers lmao...

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 11 2006, 01:32 PM)
You know I have never watched a Womens hockey game before this is pretty good.

ohmy.gif

Wait til u see when US and Canada play each other...Hope this year's Gold Medal Game is as intense and exciting as the last time they played for Gold yes.gif

biggrin.gif Haley Wickenheiser went to my high school....booyah!

and her mom was one of my teachers lmao...

and yes the USA and Canada should be awesome! biggrin.gif

Well, the web news hasn't updated it but it appears from what I saw on TV that Michelle Kwan is going to withdraw from competition. As a result the US team has submitted a request to have Emily Hughes, Sarah Hughes' little sister who placed third at the US Championship, replace Kwan and skate in the competition.

Considering Sarah was the American third place competitor who took everyone by surprise four years ago, how amazing would it be if Emily did the same thing?

Archived