Official Olympics Thread

launchpad67a

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 26 2006, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 26 2006, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 26 2006, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 26 2006, 03:50 PM)
Wins  and goal totals aren't everything - just remember salt lake - Team Canada was clearly the best team going in and yet they struggled - But when the time came to prove it they did with a gold medal - It's not how many games or goals you get - We've seen teams in the NHL with the most points at end of regular season get rocked in the first round -
Swedes proved they were the best - period -

Right! But unfortunately, that is a matter of single game disposition, and this time Swedes were simply the lucky ones. However, lucky, again unfortunately, does not always mean better.

So i guess the super bowl is a meaningless game since it is a one time elimintaion game too?

Sweden is the best team (men's hockey) in this tournament. End of story. They won gold.

I don't agree. Their encounters against Russians show all... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:38 PM)
Wins  and goal totals aren't everything - just remember salt lake - Team Canada was clearly the best team going in and yet they struggled - But when the time came to prove it they did with a gold medal - It's not how many games or goals you get - We've seen teams in the NHL with the most points at end of regular season get rocked in the first round -

Right! But unfortunately, that is a matter of single game disposition, and this time Swedes were simply the lucky ones. However, lucky, again unfortunately, does not always mean better.

So i guess the super bowl is a meaningless game since it is a one time elimintaion game too?

Sweden is the best team (men's hockey) in this tournament. End of story. They won gold.

I don't agree. Their encounters against Russians show all... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

??

They won gold? What is there to discuss? That ONE round robin game means nothing at this point.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 27 2006, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:20 PM)
Barney Rebel, who's that on your avatar?

Kelly Ripa.

Who's she?

Former soap opera star, now talkshow host. You haven't hear dof Regis and Kelly?

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 27 2006, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 27 2006, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:20 PM)
Barney Rebel, who's that on your avatar?

Kelly Ripa.

Who's she?

Former soap opera star, now talkshow host. You haven't hear dof Regis and Kelly?

No.. sad.gif but she looks nice

??

They won gold? What is there to discuss? That ONE round robin game means nothing at this point.

Oh, there would be a lot to discus-not about whether they were the best team of the whole tournament or not,(their level was brilliant anyway) but about what criteria ought to be taken into account to point at the only winners of such competitions,where the most precious trophy is at stake, namely the Olympic Gold!

Should it be one game fineness or should it be results throughout the tournament. Which of these is more just should raise absolutely no doubts in my opinion.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 01:02 PM)

??

Oh, there would be a lot to discus-not about whether they were the best team of the whole tournament or not,(their level was brilliant anyway) but about what criteria ought to be taken into account to point at the only winners of such competitions,where the most precious trophy is at stake, namely the Olympic Gold!

Should it be one game fineness or should it be results throughout the tournament. Which of these is more just should raise absolutely no doubts in my opinion.

I absolutely wish the game were played in series. If that were the case, I would think Canada would have more time to practice and play as a team, and possibly do better in the tournament.

But alas, none of this makes a difference. Sweden is clearly the #1 winner.

Yes, they are, they are the lucky winners of the game called "the final"...

Just like it was, for example in 1954 FWC in Switzerland, which I've already mentioned.

Well, at least it makes a great discussion, doesn't it? Thanx! trink39.gif

And once more, CONGRATS SWEDES!!!! You showed some quality, too!

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 01:30 PM)
Just like it was, for example in 1954 FWC in Switzerland, which I've already mentioned.
Well, at least it makes a great discussion, doesn't it? Thanx! trink39.gif
And once more, CONGRATS SWEDES!!!! You showed some quality, too!

When will you learn that:

a) "the best team" isn't always the winner in the end

cool.gif luck/bad luck is part of the game

Now I am first to admit, when Canada won gold last olympics, luck was a big part of it. They were clearly not "the best team" going in.

But in the end, they WE'RE the best team. They earned gold.

When the women's hockey met sweden in the final game last week, I didn't count them winners until the buzzer sounded. I'm not going to say "they scored 40+ goals and they've only let in 1 thus far, therefore they ARE the BEST". Only after they won, they were clearly the best.

Talked to the Purolator shipper....Steve!. For some reason he's right about anything and everything lol and he said he was cheering for Finland all the way. He wanted them to win because it would be their first gold medal. He said that Sweden played a damn good game and they won. They were the best. Steve is the best. lol

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Feb 27 2006, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 26 2006, 02:38 PM)
but on the other hand I think Swedes didn't deserve the win.

Let me guess.. the referees were biased.

Eeeeerrrrrrrrrr..Wrong guess! wink.gif

I admit. That was a bit overreacted statement, that's all.

trink36.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 27 2006, 02:03 PM)
So, If:
a) "the best team" isn't always the winner in the end,

the winner isn't always the best team, is it?

By the way, I learned that a long time ago...

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 27 2006, 12:30 PM)

So i guess that means the Patriots were lucky three out of four years since it was a single (final) game championship - I guess none of the NCAA basketball champions were the best either -

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 26 2006, 10:04 AM)
Behavior will bring change to U.S. Ski Team

By Picabo Street, NBCOlympics.com

TORINO, Italy -- The annual spring meetings of the U.S. Ski Team are going to be pretty ugly in April. You're going to see a lot of administration and coaching changes, particularly on the men's side.

Picabo Street retired from competitive Alpine skiing racing in 2002. The two-time Olympic medalist will file reports for NBCOlympics.com throughout the Torino Games.
Coming out of these Olympics, the federation is going to struggle for support, and it's not because they didn't win enough medals. It's because of the behavior of the athletes.

On The Today Show earlier this week, I addressed the problems I saw in the U.S. Ski Team -- maturity, professionalism and Julia Mancuso 's tiara among them. This was before she won a gold medal.

Now, Julia has a great opportunity in the present and for the future. I think having fun is important, but at the Olympic Games, professionalism is more important. If a tiara is something you're going to wear and have it be part of your routine, you have to remember what year you're gearing up for.

I understand that she has a program, she tries to keep it light and have fun. Trust me, I get that. But put together a program that's applicable across the board -- something that includes appropriate behavior in the Olympics.

I think she's going to do a great job on the post-Olympic circuit. She already has, in my opinion. I just hope she continues to take her new position seriously and grows up and thinks about the next generation.

This is the general consensus, based on what I'm getting in phone calls and e-mails. People look at me and ask, "What's with the antics of this team?"

Julia aside, a lot of people are more upset with Resi Stiegler  and her pearls and her shaking her ass in the finish area ... before she's ever accomplished anything. The common analogy people are making is that it's like losing the Super Bowl and then spiking the ball in the end zone.

The U.S. Alpine team put up a goal of eight medals before the Olympics started. If each athlete had skied to the very best of his or her ability, that was possible ... but it was a pretty lofty goal.

They probably have the athletes on the team who could do that eventually, but maybe not just yet. We have to remember, these are predominantly youngsters, with very little veteran leadership. With the exception of Daron Rahlves, the leaders on the team are very young. It's going to be Mancuso, Lindsey Kildow  and Ted Ligety , but they're all just 21 years old right now.

I think Bode Miller  is setting a horrible example for our next generation, and I hope he stops getting attention. And I think he hopes he stops getting attention.

If he resets his motivation, he has five more good years. As for whether he wants that, your guess is as good as mine right now. He probably doesn't even know.

What's really sad is that the majority of the team has been training hard and acting professionally, but the media has been focusing on those who aren't.

I think the U.S. Olympic Committee is going to put some pretty strict rules in place and go into Vancouver with a lot more control over the Olympic team, regardless of who their national governing body is.

In other words, if they can pull it off, the USOC will have the power to remove an athlete from the team because of conduct. If they had that power this time, they absolutely would have used it, with a handful of athletes.

I love the ski team so much. I really want them to succeed, because I know what it feels like, and I want them to do it as a team.

Big freakin deal....picabo street has an opinion, wow.....

I see she had to back track on an athlete.....after trashing Mancuso, Mancuso went out and won GOLD, now what picabo? Change you opinion a little but, Don't say 'Well, i must have been wrong'.....AND YOU WERE

Lost respect for her.....If you're not going to be supportive then just shut up picabo........

By the way, skiing is not a 'team' sport either.......Your 'representing' your country at the olyimpics.....your 'competing' at the olyimpics for yourself........

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 27 2006, 05:32 PM)

So i guess that means the Patriots were lucky three out of four years since it was a single (final) game championship - I guess none of the NCAA basketball champions were the best either -

Sorry, but I'm not so much into basketball and I don't follow your leagues, so I don't know the situation at all. But coming back to the Olympic ice hockey final, one has to admit Swedes were lucky. Just recall the last minutes of the game! Finns were really close to draw, but luck was not on their side.

I agree, luck is part of the game.

If I had my way, I'd change the way such tournaments are arranged in that each team would have to play all the other teams competing.

Surely, this would take more time, but would also raise no doubts about not so much who is the winner as who is the best-the best in the entire tournament, not in a single game.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 28 2006, 01:43 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 27 2006, 05:32 PM)

Sorry, but I'm not so much into basketball and I don't follow your leagues, so I don't know the situation at all. But coming back to the Olympic ice hockey final, one has to admit Swedes were lucky. Just recall the last minutes of the game! Finns were really close to draw, but luck was not on their side.

I agree, luck is part of the game.

If I had my way, I'd change the way such tournaments are arranged in that each team would have to play all the other teams competing.

Surely, this would take more time, but would also raise no doubts about not so much who is the winner as who is the best-the best in the entire tournament, not in a single game.

I apologize, i did not realize your location - If i knew you were from europe i wouldn't have used US football and basketball as analogies - I sincerely appreciate european's deep compassion for their sports - You are not bandwagon fans like most of us americans - By the way i do like the Finns very much - I;m originally from Montreal and Saku Koivu is one of my favorite players -

That's OK. I would never think I could be mistaken for an American biggrin.gif But is my English that good?? rofl3.gif

Yeah, Koivu is great! I wish I had better chance to see him (and many other fantastic NHL players) play, but unfortunately we've got no NHL coverages in my country fists crying.gif

Just as well Football (soccer) World Championship tornament is approaching fast. trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

We are playing friendly with USA tomorrow! What do you think?

Archived