Official Olympics Thread

launchpad67a

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Feb 14 2006, 12:08 PM)
Wow.. Who here thinks that if Clark didn't take a seat at the end of her halfpipe run yesterday that she would have won gold?

Yeah, I do. She definitely went for broke on that last run.

So far the only sport Americans still seem to be able to dominate is Halfpipe. But even that is changing.

Even though we have the most gold medals, it's still early. This is only Day 4.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 14 2006, 04:49 PM)
Wow.. Who here thinks that if Clark didn't take a seat at the end of her halfpipe run yesterday that she would have won gold?

So far the only sport Americans still seem to be able to dominate is Halfpipe. But even that is changing.

still? the americans were never "dominant" in the winter olympics. Due to our population and good training, we are always competitive, but I don't see any major difference between the last few olympics and the ones twenty to thirty years ago.

Maybe.

The 900 wouldn't of saved her just like the 900 didn't save Bleiler.

It's pretty much "spin to win" in snowboarding. She did 2, 540's and then attempted the 900... (whats with 900's? I couldn't careless if anyone spun the 900. Most of the time people's 900's look like shit. I always say that I would rather do a lower spin with GOOD style and in control...rather than people doing 900's or whatever with no control and no style. Style is key...thats what snowboarding is and going big of course...)

Kelly Clark is one of my fav riders but she just couldn't do it... although I will say this... she was the SICKEST girl out there for amplitude. One main key about your run. To have as much air as possible...and should be consistant from the top to the bottom of the pipe. Kelly Clark did a fantastic job of keeping her speed. One of the hardest things to do is trying to keep your speed when you have to spin 3+ times on one run. She did a fantastic job at that. If I may add that 900 she did was in fact wicked...Tara Teigen, (commentator) ( Not to through around names but... I met her...she's wicked nice and cool! biggrin.gif) said it best..."That is one of the higgest 900's I have ever seen in the pipe" And she's right.... it was! I have to watch the Norway girl's run....did anyone catch her run? I wanna know what she did.

Even though her 900 was ok...she didn't do anything complicated. I mean come on. I can do 540's in the pipe... and thats saying something tongue.gif I suck. Judges are always looking for different things. If they keep seeing 540 after 540...it will get boring. Bleiler did something different...she did a Cripler in the beginning of the run. That trick automatically gave the judges something to look at. Even changing up grabs WILL do something. Whats with this method air and indy air s all of the time? Where's the crail,stale, slob airs? Roast beef air anyone? And whats with no pokes, boned airs or shifty's?....Thats what makes it styly (yea thats right style-ly). Give me a Corkscrew, Haakon, Crippler, McTwist, Michalchuk or Rodeo flips too!

In conclusion, I would of loved to see the girls go bigger. Yeah...you can think "well I think they are already"...I would reply..."are you kidding me?". At national's girls were doing flips AND huge spins. So I guess I was expecting too much or something. But then again I only caught the Kjersti Buaas Oe, Kelly Clark, Gretchen Bleiler and Hanna Teter's runs. Other than that it was great to see. Most of the Americans are very well known (professional snowboarders).

The 3 people that were at 2005 Nationals: Dominique Vallee, Maelle Ricker and Mercedes Nicoll...all came in 21st, 23rd and 27th. Surprized that Maelle didn't do as well as before in Nagano. Mercedes who won Nationals didn't do very well either. Oh well. Hell this is the 2nd olympics for ANY snowboarding so hey I mean this is a good start. No doubt that the US will dominate. But I would reckon not for long. Many many Euro nations have WICKED riders. Japan will be the next power house (guess). My opinons are based on what I see on TV for world cups and as an athlete and as an national competetor in snowboarding...

When I see everyones runs I will report back lol laugh.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Feb 14 2006, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 14 2006, 04:49 PM)

still? the americans were never "dominant" in the winter olympics. Due to our population and good training, we are always competitive, but I don't see any major difference between the last few olympics and the ones twenty to thirty years ago.

Don't forget hype, money and sponsors. More money more riders...basically. Yes, better training and population helps big time.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 14 2006, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 14 2006, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 14 2006, 01:54 AM)
So many sportsmen and sportswomen competing, and it seems that Americans and Russians are gonna sweep all gold and silver, just because they are AMERICANS or...  whereas, in a number of cases, their level is far worse than than the one of other competitors! wtf.gif  What are they all trying to prove??  Regrettable and boring!!! Shame to sport in general!!!  angry.gif  angry.gif

I don't understand what you are trying to say either. In general, it is the Norwegians, Finns, Germans, and Austrians who dominate the Winter Olympics. They usually have the highest medal counts when it's all over. Now because of advancing training programs in other countries (just look at what the Chinese have done in figure skating and short track speed skating in the past decade), the domination is not as extensive.

Americans and Russians do not 'dominate' the medals because of who we are. If that were the case, we would probably lose all the time, just because many countries think of us as bullies. American training programs, although not as strong as some other countries, are strong because of the support received from corporate grants. The US Olympic Committee doesn't get any government support. Strong support gives strong recruitment and training, which results in medals.

Tis' true

What you're saying i s all correct, but what I'm "trying" to say is that even if, say, a half-piper from Antarctica is evidently better than, say, an American representative of the same discipline, the one from Antarctica will be classified at a lower place and will be given fewer points for his/her performance, because it is, in this case, Americans that must be better!

My point is that judges judge some competitors not by their actual performance, but exactly by "advancing training programs" they have in their country, which is sick.

Finally, the number of competitors allowed to participate in the Olympics should be the same for all countries willing to take part simply to give every country equal chance to win! Otherwise, the idea of fair play is being poked fun at! 062802puke_prv.gif

And one more reply. It should not be support from corporate funds or whatever, or perfect training programs, that result in medals (or decide about medals) but individual performance at the Olympics!

In my opinion, they should establish fair, hard and fast regulations as to the minimum and maximum number of competitors allowed from one country, with the least possible space between the limits. This would rule out instances where we have, say, 10 000 competitors participating at the Olympics altogether out of which, say, 6 000 are Russians, Americans or representatives of any other country with great support (who cares!) from government, corporate funds or any other source, which makes their training programs "better" than in other countries. So far, though, no equality is seen at least in this respect.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 15 2006, 09:13 AM)
And one more reply. It should not be support from corporate funds or whatever, or perfect training programs, that result in medals (or decide about medals) but individual performance at the Olympics!
In my opinion, they should establish fair, hard and fast regulations as to the minimum and maximum number of competitors allowed from one country, with the least possible space between the limits. This would rule out instances where we have, say, 10 000 competitors participating at the Olympics altogether out of which, say, 6 000 are Russians, Americans or representatives of any other country with great support (who cares!) from government, corporate funds or any other source, which makes their training programs "better" than in other countries. So far, though, no equality is seen at least in this respect.

What does it matter how many competitors are involved from each country? This is saying that a country that might only have a handful of peeps who actually WANT to compete, are going to be denied a chance of competing because they don't have enough, AND any country, like for instance the USA or Russia, won't be able to bring some competitors because they have too many??? - denying possibly hundreds of people the chance to take part? confused13.gif

Sorry, but like Test says, politics shouldn't come into this - leave politics to the politicians yes.gif and let people play the games

edited for typo

I also wholeheartedly agree. Politics is not supposed to have any place at the Olympics. The Olympic Movement has always been about peace and understanding through athletic competition.

Also, it is individual performance that determines the medal winner, with only a few exceptions. Those who are better trained usually perform better, as is expected. Sometimes someone comes along who may not be as well trained or may not be as talented, but has the performance of a lifetime. Those are the kind of moments I love seeing.

Most competitions are against the clock so there is no grey area. Many judged competitions are being more regulated so that only specific actions yield the best scores. Sadly, sometimes mistakes are made. After all, we are only human. But the extent of favoritism that used to be more prevalent is becoming less of an issue. So the argument of the Antarctic snowboarder not getting as good of marks as the American snowboarder no longer holds water.

Agreed! Let people play the Games, but play it fair! You're right that there shouldn't be any lower limit to the number of competitors from one country-every country ready to compete ought to be given a chance-but the upper limit must be lowered!

Politics is brought into the Games where a country has 1500 sportsmen and sportswomen at one Olympic Games whereas another country has only four people! This makes too big a difference and is totally unacceptable! If one country seems to have too many competitors, their number should be reduced and they should be re-selected, unfortunately for them. But this would certainly equal chances for all. No majorities in such contests!

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 15 2006, 08:32 AM)
I also wholeheartedly agree. Politics is not supposed to have any place at the Olympics. The Olympic Movement has always been about peace and understanding through athletic competition.

Also, it is individual performance that determines the medal winner, with only a few exceptions. Those who are better trained usually perform better, as is expected. Sometimes someone comes along who may not be as well trained or may not be as talented, but has the performance of a lifetime. Those are the kind of moments I love seeing.

Most competitions are against the clock so there is no grey area. Many judged competitions are being more regulated so that only specific actions yield the best scores. Sadly, sometimes mistakes are made. After all, we are only human. But the extent of favoritism that used to be more prevalent is becoming less of an issue. So the argument of the Antarctic snowboarder not getting as good of marks as the American snowboarder no longer holds water.

Yes, but if competitions are becoming more regulated there should also be a requirement for judges to substantiate their decisions.

I know all you guys think I'm wrong in my suspicions, but I still hold that too many judgements are not driven by individual performance, which is really annoying.

This new skater on the scene: Johnny Weir is so damned arrogant. They did a profile on him last night.

Just when I thought "Bode" was bad. wacko.gif

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 15 2006, 01:54 AM)
So many sportsmen and sportswomen competing, and it seems that Americans and Russians are gonna sweep all gold and silver, just because they are AMERICANS or...  whereas, in a number of cases, their level is far worse than than the one of other competitors! wtf.gif  What are they all trying to prove??  Regrettable and boring!!! Shame to sport in general!!!  angry.gif  angry.gif

I don't understand what you are trying to say either. In general, it is the Norwegians, Finns, Germans, and Austrians who dominate the Winter Olympics. They usually have the highest medal counts when it's all over. Now because of advancing training programs in other countries (just look at what the Chinese have done in figure skating and short track speed skating in the past decade), the domination is not as extensive.

Americans and Russians do not 'dominate' the medals because of who we are. If that were the case, we would probably lose all the time, just because many countries think of us as bullies. American training programs, although not as strong as some other countries, are strong because of the support received from corporate grants. The US Olympic Committee doesn't get any government support. Strong support gives strong recruitment and training, which results in medals.

Tis' true

What you're saying i s all correct, but what I'm "trying" to say is that even if, say, a half-piper from Antarctica is evidently better than, say, an American representative of the same discipline, the one from Antarctica will be classified at a lower place and will be given fewer points for his/her performance, because it is, in this case, Americans that must be better!

My point is that judges judge some competitors not by their actual performance, but exactly by "advancing training programs" they have in their country, which is sick.

Finally, the number of competitors allowed to participate in the Olympics should be the same for all countries willing to take part simply to give every country equal chance to win! Otherwise, the idea of fair play is being poked fun at! 062802puke_prv.gif

Name one single instance in Olympic History where an American was given a higher score just because they were an American. Obviously you can't do that because it has never happened.

A word of advice, if you are going to defame all the athletes from a certain country because of your personal political opinions, you should at least have some scintilla of evidence to back it up.

u.s.a. down 3 to 2 going to the 3rd period , latvia smells blood. u.s.a better score quick to change the momentum.

hockey final , u.s.a. 3 and latvia 3 although outplayed latvia comes up with a big tie with the american team.

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 15 2006, 05:47 AM)
QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 15 2006, 08:32 AM)

Yes, but if competitions are becoming more regulated there should also be a requirement for judges to substantiate their decisions.

I know all you guys think I'm wrong in my suspicions, but I still hold that too many judgements are not driven by individual performance, which is really annoying.

Then you need to provide evidence. Otherwise you are just making political statements and spitting sour grapes dazed025.gif But, as Pedro said, there is no evidence.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Feb 15 2006, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 15 2006, 01:54 AM)

Tis' true

Name one single instance in Olympic History where an American was given a higher score just because they were an American. Obviously you can't do that because it has never happened.

A word of advice, if you are going to defame all the athletes from a certain country because of your personal political opinions, you should at least have some scintilla of evidence to back it up.

I'm not going to defame any athlete, but to defame referees and judges who sometimes act as if they had a gun barrel put in their mouth!

Evidence? What happened in women's half pipe where it was an American who won? Was that right? Of course, how could a Pole performing evidently at the same level get more points?! It's unacceptable! Don't say then I can't give you any evidence now! And don't bring the word "politics" into this discussion because what I'm saying has nothing to do with politics!!

Archived