Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Why does this band gets so much attention from people who don't seem to like them?

Because they used to be impeccable, and there's always hope they'll return to that mode eventually. The self titled album was awesome, and I had high hopes for their next effort. I haven't heard it yet, and will do so with an open mind - nobody gives up on a band they've been a fan of for 20 years so fast - but what I've heard so far is not exactly promising.

Yeah...as a new fan this is how I feel. Listening to old and new all at once, it is immediately obvious where the gems lie, but all the bad stuff has been released post Six Degrees. And I would say the last three albums have been "nice".

Crazy concepts does not inspire genuine excitement or musical evolution. I still only hear echoes of better times on The Astonishing.

But on its own terms, its a really fun album. As much as I enjoy it, I am not going to give it hyperbolic praise, and yet I also think it is far from a disaster. Not even close.

Why does this band gets so much attention from people who don't seem to like them?

Because they used to be impeccable, and there's always hope they'll return to that mode eventually. The self titled album was awesome, and I had high hopes for their next effort. I haven't heard it yet, and will do so with an open mind - nobody gives up on a band they've been a fan of for 20 years so fast - but what I've heard so far is not exactly promising.

weird Rod........not getting on you but months back before TA was released you were saying this is gonna be better then Scenes.

lol.......but to each his own man.'

Mick

Got to listen to a little more yesterday, not much this weekend...with family, and not many are into prog metal....

Still not thrilled with it...sounds like formulaic DT, lots of notes, and epic sounding stuff from Rudess... Which pretty much puts me at a "why I don't like Rudess so much" head... I think that other than when he plays piano..it s kinda of tough to discern his playing other than the orchestral motifs all over the piece...I miss the old days when keys sounded like keys, and besides a few occasional spots, everything I've heard is "grandiose", not chops laden...and again...don't get me wrong, the man can play...but I don't like his playing in this band...

If I get a road trip or weekend by myself, I'll give it a better critical listen, and see if anything strikes me.

Er, what? This is anything but formulaic DT. And lots of notes? Maybe relative to many other bands, for DT, this is probably their least wanky album (along with Falling into Infinity) to date, especially when you consider how much material is on this (130 minutes of music). You can count on one hand the number of times they shred on this.

• Like 2

Got to listen to a little more yesterday, not much this weekend...with family, and not many are into prog metal....

Still not thrilled with it...sounds like formulaic DT, lots of notes, and epic sounding stuff from Rudess... Which pretty much puts me at a "why I don't like Rudess so much" head... I think that other than when he plays piano..it s kinda of tough to discern his playing other than the orchestral motifs all over the piece...I miss the old days when keys sounded like keys, and besides a few occasional spots, everything I've heard is "grandiose", not chops laden...and again...don't get me wrong, the man can play...but I don't like his playing in this band...

If I get a road trip or weekend by myself, I'll give it a better critical listen, and see if anything strikes me.

Er, what? This is anything but formulaic DT. And lots of notes? Maybe relative to many other bands, for DT, this is probably their least wanky album (along with Falling into Infinity) to date, especially when you consider how much material is on this (130 minutes of music). You can count on one hand the number of times they shred on this.

I agree. i'm gonna say........and some will disagree. having sat with this album for a while. this is some of the most ambitious music DT has ever made. it is anything but safe.

It is Diverse........and has some of the best pure melodies they've ever written.

It's amazing what they've done here.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Any idea what the rest of the web community is saying? Lol

Thought about checking a few places but dont care that much

I know it's getting a great amount of Praise on the DT forum.

however much that means, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I still think it's a really fun album. It's a tired album, but a good one!

If you enjoy DT, you should like this one! Not every album is going to be a masterwork, and at the same time not every album is going to immediately grow on us.

I suspect, by the end of the year, this album could be really well respected once it's had time to settle. I don't think it's close to the bands best, but it also isn't fair to put it down just because it doesn't reach the elevated heights of the bands very best (which few other prog metal bands have rivalled at that).

It's solid, more than solid. But I have no desire to play it. At this point in time.

But I don't find DT's work instantly gratifying anyway. That can be a good thing in the long run, but early thoughts are mostly unreliable.

• Like 1

If you enjoy DT, you should like this one! Not every album is going to be a masterwork, and at the same time not every album is going to immediately grow on us.

I suspect, by the end of the year, this album could be really well respected once it's had time to settle. I don't think it's close to the bands best, but it also isn't fair to put it down just because it doesn't reach the elevated heights of the bands very best (which few other prog metal bands have rivalled at that).

It's solid, more than solid. But I have no desire to play it. At this point in time.

But I don't find DT's work instantly gratifying anyway. That can be a good thing in the long run, but early thoughts are mostly unreliable.

i agree. but this is the first DT album that HAS been instantly gratifying for me.

now that COULD be a bad thing, lol

very bad, lol

But right now......comfortable saying my number 2 DT album easy.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

I would guess that as well. Thought about checking it out over there but not a member and dont really have the time right now

I have always found the debate on these guys fascinating. No one else stirs it up this much lol

• Like 1

Mick

I would guess that as well. Thought about checking it out over there but not a member and dont really have the time right now

I have always found the debate on these guys fascinating. No one else stirs it up this much lol

it is wonderful. even if i don't agree. I love a DT debate.

Mick

i agree. but this is the first DT album that HAS been instantly gratifying for me.

very bad, lol

Mick

My first thought towards EFMB last year was that it was a really good Nightwish album, it grew from there! I liked it all, then loved it. Also, you have been on a DT high lately. Give it a couple of months!

I remember finding Clockwork Angels immediately gratifying.

That relationship lasted...a year.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Mick

Actually, having been a member on their forum (whether it was dt.net or DTF) for over 15 years now, DT fans do not pull punches. Their internet fans are not afraid to say it if they do not like something DT releases. Heck, I remember when Train of Thought came out; that album took a ton of abuse on dt.net. So I don't think it is a matter of "DT fans are praising the album because that is what they always do."

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 2

very bad, lol

Mick

My first thought towards EFMB last year was that it was a really good Nightwish album, it grew from there! I liked it all, then loved it. Also, you have been on a DT high lately. Five it a couple of months!

Depends on what your brain clicks with.

my Brain went......broadway meets DT...........SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

Mick

Actually, having been a member on their forum (whether it was dt.net or DTF) for over 15 years now, DT fans do not pull punches. Their internet fans are not afraid to say it if they do not like something DT releases. Heck, I remember when Train of Thought came out; that album took a ton of abuse on dt.net. So I don't think it is a matter of "DT fans are praising the album because that is what they always do."

Naw i wasn't Saying that.......it's just getting more praised then trashed right now.

it has it's share of hate be sure, lol

Mick

very bad, lol

Mick

My first thought towards EFMB last year was that it was a really good Nightwish album, it grew from there! I liked it all, then loved it. Also, you have been on a DT high lately. Five it a couple of months!

Depends on what your brain clicks with.

my Brain went......broadway meets DT...........SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

To my ears, Ayreon do this all the time. And Nightwish incorporate classical and theatrical elements a lot better. DT are better as a melodic metal band, the Broadway vibe really does remind me of Dennic DeYoung. In a really bad way...BUT unlike Kilroy, this still sounds like a band effort. That saves it!

And no one in DT deserves to be labelled as a DeYoung.

The MVP of this record is Labrie.

some of his very best work. i firmly believe that.

Mick

Some of his best work...I still can't stand his highest notes. I don't think I ever will.

Disc 1-10/10.

i wouldn't change a note.

Disc 2-8/10

Slight;y below but i still love.

So good to be on the other side of things.......rather then being my usual pessimistic self.......feels good to the "CA" vote in this instance, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

So good to be on the other side of things.......rather then being my usual pessimistic self.......feels good to the "CA" vote in this instance, lol

Mick

It's about level with CA. Unlike CA, it hasn't once blown me away.

But I did really enjoy it yesterday (you read it haha)

• Like 1

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Segue i have a feeling your gonna ping pong with this one before you finally settle on a side.

Which side? we shall see, lol

Mik

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Segue i have a feeling your gonna ping pong with this one before you finally settle on a side.

Mik

It's not rubbish. I see it either staying in the middle of the pack (I know its bottom three, but its not deserving of being mentioned in the same bad breath of SC or ToT), or growing on me.

Even the dull bits were enjoyable. But the highs? Not all that high for me, so far.

I won't judge it by past works, but as far as enjoyability goes, it so far underwhelms in a very polite way!

I really hate being on the fence. But nothing is bad...its just I sadly know I have heard this style done better. Again, Ayreon. And they are not even a band I particularly enjoy! But this whole metal/rock opera thing is very derivative of Ayreon, and Labrie has worked on music with them. And Ayreon did this a whole lot better (and not only because they use a variety of singers. The vocals aren't even an issue here).

And the orchestral arrangements? Sub par. I have been spoiled by tonnes of bands who did this sound better. One of them happens to be Dream Theater.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Mik

It's not rubbish. I see it either staying in the middle of the pack (I know its bottom three, but its not deserving of being mentioned in the same bad breath of SC or ToT), or growing on me.

Even the dull bits were enjoyable. But the highs? Not all that high for me, so far.

I won't judge it by past works, but as far as enjoyability goes, it so far underwhelms in a very polite way!

I really hate being on the fence. But nothing is bad...its just I sadly know I have heard this style done better. Again, Ayreon. And they are not even a band I particularly enjoy! But this whole metal/rock opera thing is very derivative of Ayreon, and Labrie has worked on music with them. And Ayreon did this a whole lot better (and not only because they use a variety of singers. The vocals aren't even an issue here).

And the orchestral arrangements? Sub par. I have been spoiled by tonnes of bands who did this sound better. One of them happens to be Dream Theater.

Never liked ANY Ayreon record particularly all that much.

they bore me, lol

Mick

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Mik

they bore me, lol

Mick

I think if they released The Astonishing, it would be their worst album.

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Mik

they bore me, lol

Mick

i feel like i'm in A DT sword fight with you :laughing guy:

Mick

Disc 1-10/10.

Disc 2-8/10

Mick

Mik

they bore me, lol

Mick

i feel like i'm in A DT sword fight with you :laughing guy:

Mick

let's put it this way, I have ten DT albums I could easily rank higher than Ayreon. It is not even difficult for me to do so. That includes the underrated debut.

But when I finally finished disc one, I was reminded immediately at how good Ayreon are at this sort of thing. And whilst not a fan, I always enjoyed Ayreon, they are fun. This album? It's too earnest. The Broadway elements sound like they mean it, without a hint of irony. It reminds me at times of the show the writers wrote in The Producers.

It's gooooooooood...but so far it just sounds...flat and uninspiring. Reading the plot summaries you sent yesterday only made the whole thing...worse...

When it comes to futuristic Dystopia societies with some form of music related disorder, 2112 still takes the lead.

I really want to love this album, but right now, the good bits are entwined with overall disappointment.