Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Got to listen to a little more yesterday, not much this weekend...with family, and not many are into prog metal....

Still not thrilled with it...sounds like formulaic DT, lots of notes, and epic sounding stuff from Rudess... Which pretty much puts me at a "why I don't like Rudess so much" head... I think that other than when he plays piano..it s kinda of tough to discern his playing other than the orchestral motifs all over the piece...I miss the old days when keys sounded like keys, and besides a few occasional spots, everything I've heard is "grandiose", not chops laden...and again...don't get me wrong, the man can play...but I don't like his playing in this band...

If I get a road trip or weekend by myself, I'll give it a better critical listen, and see if anything strikes me.

Er, what? This is anything but formulaic DT. And lots of notes? Maybe relative to many other bands, for DT, this is probably their least wanky album (along with Falling into Infinity) to date, especially when you consider how much material is on this (130 minutes of music). You can count on one hand the number of times they shred on this.

I agree. i'm gonna say........and some will disagree. having sat with this album for a while. this is some of the most ambitious music DT has ever made. it is anything but safe.

It is Diverse........and has some of the best pure melodies they've ever written.

It's amazing what they've done here.

Mick

Yes, fantastic stuff, really enjoying this album.

• Like 2

After more listens to The Astonishing this weekend, I think that it is good it's just way too long.

The first 5-6 songs to kick things off though are really good and fit together well.

If they took maybe half of the songs out (probably the "filler" songs you read about in the reviews for it I'd guess) this would be an incredibly strong effort. As I said before, some of JR's distorted solos on this are so f***in' killer and maybe the best he's done with the band period.

This also has to be one of or maybe the most non-metal album they've ever done. Sure, it has its moments but I wonder what a fan who's first album was ToT or SC's going to think about it.

Edited by Del_Duio

After more listens to The Astonishing this weekend, I think that it is good it's just way too long.

The first 5-6 songs to kick things off though are really good and fit together well.

If they took maybe half of the songs out (probably the "filler" songs you read about in the reviews for it I'd guess) this would be an incredibly strong effort. As I said before, some of JR's distorted solos on this are so f***in' killer and maybe the best he's done with the band period.

This also has to be one of or maybe the most non-metal album they've ever done. Sure, it has its moments but I wonder what a fan who's first album was ToT or SC's going to think about it.

I really have come to accept that whilst I don't think it's a "bad" album, it is not for me. Time to move on...I tried again and I just can't get into it, neither the concept nor the music itself. The highlights are timid and too easily traceable to superior efforts in the back catalogue.

• Like 1

I do give them tons of credit for trying something like this though.

If they didn't take chances we never would have got the likes of SFAM and 6DOIT.

Remember FII was heavily dialed back because the record company or whoever wanted them to be more poppy.

SFAM, like 2112, was basically a big f**k you and thank god for that!

If they didn't take chances we never would have got the likes of SFAM and 6DOIT.

Remember FII was heavily dialed back because the record company or whoever wanted them to be more poppy.

See, I don't hear any risk-takimg at all.

They made another concept album. The story is set in a dystopian society ruled by silly things that have a big impact on music. The music sounds like a blend of generic DT tropes mixed with Labrie's outside work with Ayreon, with some awful attempts at musical Theater. All the songs sound castrated, the number of times they come close to breathing but end abruptly. The entire project is so bland...at first I thought it was a winner but with every spin it just sounds so bland. It's really ugly, Labrie Shine's vocally but the lyrics are embarrassing.

I have just become a fan of this band, I really want to move on now and just enjoy the earlier stuff and the live albums. After a week, thereabouts, I actually really hate this. The last album was spectacular, and had more going on in just one song than this one does the entire two hours.

The songs that stood out really aren't that great. I thought they were whilst they were playing, but I neither remember them or even like them played in isolation.

I am gutted. I really tried to convince myself it was decent. The entire concept made the whole thing worse.

Dystopian fiction is already being overworked today in books and film, this album just reeks of mediocrity.

I am gutted...but I will return to it later and maybe with time it will grow. I hate not enjoying this...I was so excited. This doesn't move the band forward artistically at all.

They made another concept album. The story is set in a dystopian society ruled by silly things that have a big impact on music. The music sounds like a blend of generic DT tropes mixed with Labrie's outside work with Ayreon, with some awful attempts at musical Theater. All the songs sound castrated, the number of times they come close to breathing but end abruptly. The entire project is so bland...at first I thought it was a winner but with every spin it just sounds so bland. It's really ugly, Labrie Shine's vocally but the lyrics are embarrassing.

I have just become a fan of this band, I really want to move on now and just enjoy the earlier stuff and the live albums. After a week, thereabouts, I actually really hate this. The last album was spectacular, and had more going on in just one song than this one does the entire two hours.

The songs that stood out really aren't that great. I thought they were whilst they were playing, but I neither remember them or even like them played in isolation.

I am gutted. I really tried to convince myself it was decent. The entire concept made the whole thing worse.

Dystopian fiction is already being overworked today in books and film, this album just reeks of mediocrity.

I am gutted...but I will return to it later and maybe with time it will grow. I hate not enjoying this...I was so excited. This doesn't move the band forward artistically at all.

why are you gutted over it......it's not for Everyone.

and that's awesome that it's so divisive when you think about it.

Thank god it is......it would god dull around here, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Alright you RUSH creeps, you can relax now my copy of the new album is here!! :madra: :madra: :madra:

Please for the love of god like it, lol

Just kidding, lol

Mick

I've got my free patch too it looks totally shit too! :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick

It really interested me...I even enjoyed the gimmick of all those silly emails!

I also really wanted a new album to be excited about. Like...this was one of my most anticipated new albums and I was 90% certain I'd love it!!!

• Like 1

Alright you RUSH creeps, you can relax now my copy of the new album is here!! :madra: :madra: :madra:

Just kidding, lol

Mick

Could you post a picture? Amazon kept making a big deal of that patch.

Just kidding, lol

Mick

It's crap. It's black with feint gold writing and dirty brown image that you can barely see against the black background. It looks like it's been washed through the gut of a 300 lb DT fanboy!

• Like 1

Mick

I also really wanted a new album to be excited about. Like...this was one of my most anticipated new albums and I was 90% certain I'd love it!!!

you overhyped it in your head......i underplayed it in mine. lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just kidding, lol

Mick

It's crap. It's black with feint gold writing and dirty brown image that you can barely see against the black background. It looks like it's been washed through the gut of a 300 lb DT fanboy!

Oh dear...I look forward to your verdict on the album! I just can't tell with you haha.

Megadeth had a better record this month.

Mick

you overhyped it in your head......i underplayed it in mine. lol

Mick

Yeah, I did, however, have low expectations just before its release. Buuuut I still have hope! I really do want to like something new!

• Like 1

They've not go any epic-length tunes on here have they?

Lots of crud piano ballads and codswallopy metal ones and TONNES of Dennis DeYoung flavoured Broadway pomp cheese.

Over two hours.

Enjoy!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/01/15/30C8BC9300000578-3426653-image-a-163_1454340890910.jpg

Oooo...

They've not go any epic-length tunes on here have they?

Nope but it has more interludes than The Wall.

Interested in what you think of it, duck. I guess we'll hear from you in about a week when the album is finally finished playing.