Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 1 2009, 05:37 PM)

28 days and counting to my PN 2009 date! 1022.gif cool10.gif common001.gif

Ashville or Atlanta? (I do not know if you're counting today)

I'm going to Atlanta

I posted this over on the MP forums.... Thought I would repost it over here...

It is my thought on "The Shattered Fortress"

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2358724.aspx

I have been hearing alot of flack about this song, not so much from forum, but from other sites (cough.......progarchives....cough) that, and I'm quoting here, "The Shattered Fortress" is nothing more than the other movements of the 12 step saga compiled to create this final installment." or statmentst to that effect..

I think that statement is a GROSS oversimplification... of "The Shattered Fortress"...

As a standalone track, and on face value TSF may seem as such, but the way I look at it and what I think Dream Theater was shooting for that this is more of a "Grand Finale" to the overall suite, than just a song on an album..

As most epics that have "Grand Finale" movments, there are going to be numerous reprises from previous parts of the overall epic... and TSF is no different and does what any final movement from any Prog and Prog Metal epic does....as TSF has examplified...And I feel that was the ideal that was being reached for with TSF... It is indeed the "Grand Finale" to this multi movement epic..

I do have to say however, that having the movments of an overall epic on different albums does lead to these oversimplified criticisms... I said that on face value that TSF does seem just to be the movements of the other steps sewen together. I can see having each movement on a different album leads to thes criticisms... and how people can miss the big picture of what DT was shooting for with this final installment of the 12 step suite (or is it saga.... I dont know, lol).

This leads me into how some (incuding myself) have also underrated the previous movement..."Repentance"... As standalone tracks both "Repentance" and "The Shattered Fortress" work on a very mediocre level....BUT work MUCH better with the other movements than by themselves...

put it this way....

Say if Rush had originally decided to release a movement of 2112 over the period of several different albums........as Mike has done with his 12 step suite/saga..

Parts of 2112 would not work as standalone tracks.... and must be heard/listened with the other movements to be fully appreciated..

"Discovery" would not have worked by itself, "Grand Finale" would not have worked by itself..... but with the other movements they fit perfectly....

and that's kinda how I feel about both "Repentance" and "The Shattered fortress"... they are better off as parts of a whole, than as individual tracks...

I updated my sig for July.......... I had to go with a lyric from the new album!

Good choice, Owl!!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Owl's Song quote/verse of the month: July

In peaceful sedation, I lay half awake..

and all of the panic inside starts to fade....

Hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony...

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 1 2009, 06:55 PM)
I have never been a Dream Theater fan, but I picked up the latest CD, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" just to hear some new stuff. I am totally blown away. What a great album. The Count of Tuscany is a masterpiece. I love it!

I have only had the CD for a couple days now and haven't really given the entire album a listen - I am stuck on Count of Tuscany right now. I am currently digesting this song, which is like eating a 9 1/2 lb steak. MMmm, and it tastes good.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Portnoy, although I think the guy is really talented. It just isn't my favorite style of percussion work. too much double bass drum for me. But, the music composition is just a delight to hear. Jordan Rudess is the new Rick Wakeman IMO. The guy is THAT good.

Yes!!!! biggrin.gif

Awesome new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And I completely agree with you 100% about Jordan biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 2 2009, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 2 2009, 07:08 PM)
Here is a pretty good quality video of "A Nightmare to Remember" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjXtebQT7c

(and no, your speakers are not f***ing up....thats the video.)

Aw man i can hardly hear JR confused13.gif

.........well its the best quality video Ive seen thus far.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 2 2009, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 2 2009, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 2 2009, 07:08 PM)
Here is a pretty good quality video of "A Nightmare to Remember" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjXtebQT7c

(and no, your speakers are not f***ing up....thats the video.)

Aw man i can hardly hear JR confused13.gif

.........well its the best quality video Ive seen thus far.

I think its something to do with the mixing this year.

Because i watched some videos of them from the Download festival, and he was super low in those too.

I hope i can hear him at my show laugh.gif

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ Jul 2 2009, 08:21 PM)
Setlists have been amazing so far!

Oh, and when I looked at this thread on the Spheres page, it had 2112 replies 1022.gif

ohmy.gif I was the 2112th post!

what an honor notworthy.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 22 2009, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Test 4 Gecko @ Jun 22 2009, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 20 2009, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 20 2009, 02:26 PM)
Brian May says:

"But I was also, by one of those strange alignments of the planets, able to see the band who have just delivered what my mate Rog called (totally unprompted last week) "The best Queen cover job ever". Yes, the redoubtable Dream Theatre. IT was a revelation. Their scope is way beyond covering Ancient Rock Bands, of course ... and actually way beyond Rock, I'd say. They are what would have been called, about 30 years ago - truly 'progressive, with more than a touch of fusion'. But their musicianship is way beyond even that. The whole band are virtuosos ... I'm kind of ashamed I never discovered them before. Their set was completely without any hint of 'playing to the Gallery'. They took their time mapping out their songs, which I can only say succulently drip with the best kind of complexity. Wonderful playing. I will be back for more. "

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

high praise indeed.............

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/ytsejams_inc/MP_CELEBS/MPBrianMay.jpg

This is them at the Download festival... so awesome 1022.gif

And Mike said in a later post that Brian is holding a copy of BC&SL there

Brian May is truly one of Rock's nice guys. Anybody else on meeting Portnoy would say "f**k off and have a stiff drink, you annoying tw**. Being progressive is not rearranging the same widdly-widdly bits of wankery for album after album, sticking in the odd bit of Metallica riffage now and again is just plain shoddy, you should have jacked it in after 6DOiT"

goodpost.gif

Oh and why does Mike have a swinging microphone? They guy can't sing at all.

Talk about NO CLASS.

Earl

Either can James LaCheese.......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 2 2009, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 22 2009, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Test 4 Gecko @ Jun 22 2009, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 20 2009, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 20 2009, 02:26 PM)
Brian May says:

"But I was also, by one of those strange alignments of the planets, able to see the band who have just delivered what my mate Rog called (totally unprompted last week) "The best Queen cover job ever". Yes, the redoubtable Dream Theatre. IT was a revelation. Their scope is way beyond covering Ancient Rock Bands, of course ... and actually way beyond Rock, I'd say. They are what would have been called, about 30 years ago - truly 'progressive, with more than a touch of fusion'. But their musicianship is way beyond even that. The whole band are virtuosos ... I'm kind of ashamed I never discovered them before. Their set was completely without any hint of 'playing to the Gallery'. They took their time mapping out their songs, which I can only say succulently drip with the best kind of complexity. Wonderful playing. I will be back for more. "

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

high praise indeed.............

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/ytsejams_inc/MP_CELEBS/MPBrianMay.jpg

This is them at the Download festival... so awesome 1022.gif

And Mike said in a later post that Brian is holding a copy of BC&SL there

Brian May is truly one of Rock's nice guys. Anybody else on meeting Portnoy would say "f**k off and have a stiff drink, you annoying tw**. Being progressive is not rearranging the same widdly-widdly bits of wankery for album after album, sticking in the odd bit of Metallica riffage now and again is just plain shoddy, you should have jacked it in after 6DOiT"

goodpost.gif

Oh and why does Mike have a swinging microphone? They guy can't sing at all.

Talk about NO CLASS.

Earl

Either can James LaCheese.......

oh come now, think how popular Kings X would be with a quality vocalist like La Brie! pokey.gif

QUOTE (coolphantom190 @ Jul 4 2009, 09:33 PM)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is great! cool.gif

The Queen cover is amazing!

The queen cover was indeed great... TF, and Flick of the Wrist were good, but damn did La Brie do a good Mercury impression during Lily in the Valley... sounded almost like him.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 7 2009, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 7 2009, 10:18 AM)
Octavarium...the band

schla03.gif

Oh, come on now. They cite both DT and Rush as major influences. yes.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 7 2009, 02:06 PM)
The new cover of King Crimson's "Lark's Tongue In Aspic" is kick ass.

Yes it does. I made a thread about that I thought. I guess even I am ignoring it now.

ok hearing the new album for the first time. the Count of Tuscany has more than a few nods to Rush. It's epic and cool though. Why does LaBrie's voice still bug?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 7 2009, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 7 2009, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 7 2009, 10:18 AM)
Octavarium...the band

schla03.gif

Oh, come on now. They cite both DT and Rush as major influences. yes.gif

and yet there original music sucks. Go figure.