Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Spike @ Jun 25 2009, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 24 2009, 03:26 PM)
Hey TICK and METALDAD!!!

We're in for Connecticut, too!!!!!  Tortoise just confirmed our tickets!!!

I can hear those bottles tinkling already!!!

bncegrn.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif  bncegrn.gif

Hare  biggrin.gif

Hello guys!!!

I'm *so* bummed that I'll be out of town and miss the Chevy DT show in Aug. I won't be able to make Tick jealous with my great seats! (Last 2 shows at the Chevy I had 5th row center, and then 2nd row right in front of JP! I wait until the last minute to buy my tix and end up getting pretty good seats!)

Anyways, I hope you two, Tick, and MetalDad have a great time at the show!!

SPIKE!!!!!

I was just thinking of you last night when I was reviewing the pics from RUSH-Mansfield-2008!!! Loooooove your back!!!! wink.gif

Sorry you can't make it to join us. You will be missed!!!

Start thinking RUSH TOUR 2010!!! yes.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Spike @ Jun 25 2009, 12:16 PM)
Hey TICK and METALDAD!!!

Hare  biggrin.gif

Hello guys!!!

I'm *so* bummed that I'll be out of town and miss the Chevy DT show in Aug. I won't be able to make Tick jealous with my great seats! (Last 2 shows at the Chevy I had 5th row center, and then 2nd row right in front of JP! I wait until the last minute to buy my tix and end up getting pretty good seats!)

SPIKE.....................where the hell ya been ?

1022.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 25 2009, 07:39 AM)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings is PURE EPICNESS!! yes.gif I'm seeing DT on August 1st at Merriweather Post Pavilion, in Columbia, MD...with QUEENSRYCHE! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Can't wait!!

Iv'e been listening to A Nightmare To Remeber over and over again, too...EPIC tune cool.gif

OKAY . . . I want to know how YOU get Dream Theater AND Queensryche in one show?!?!?!?

We'll be seeing the Ryche on July 30th, in Boston at the House of Blues (across the street from FENWAY PARK's notorious GREEN MONSTER!!! - - we'll be thinking of PhilCastro as we salute the statue of Ted Williams!!!!! laugh.gif ).

Then we have to wait a couple of days to see DT - - first in Boston and then in Connecticut.

Not a bad week, eh?!?!? 1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 25 2009, 03:24 PM)
(across the street from FENWAY PARK's notorious GREEN MONSTER!!! - - we'll be thinking of PhilCastro as we salute the statue of Ted Williams!!!!! laugh.gif ).

bekloppt.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 25 2009, 04:20 PM)
i know.

myung also signed on my nipples.

wanna see a pic?

tongue.gif

ohmy.gif OH MY!!!!

rofl3.gif

If I were you, I'd blow-up that pic and put a mural on my wall!!! WICKED!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

Hey TICK and METALDAD!!!

We're in for Connecticut, too!!!!! Tortoise just confirmed our tickets!!!

bncegrn.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif bncegrn.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

common001.gif trink39.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

QUOTE (Spike @ Jun 25 2009, 01:16 PM)
Hey TICK and METALDAD!!!

Hare  biggrin.gif

Hello guys!!!

We will miss you Spike. trink39.gif

I have to admit all of this Dream Theater talk on here lately made me put on "Systematic Chaos."

I really do enjoy this album.

You know I like to make fun of Mike but one thing I will say that I like about him is at least he has octobans on his kit, and at least he plays them.

Even Stewie Copeland and Simon Phillips have them and they actually use them too!

I have four on my kit. I love them!!!!!!

Cheers to all drummers who have octobans within their kit!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 25 2009, 11:56 PM)
I have to admit all of this Dream Theater talk on here lately made me put on "Systematic Chaos."
I really do enjoy this album.

You know I like to make fun of Mike but one thing I will say that I like about him is at least he has octobans on his kit, and at least he plays them.

Even Stewie Copeland and Simon Phillips have them and they actually use them too!

I have four on my kit. I love them!!!!!!

Cheers to all drummers who have octobans within their kit!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

Once I had roto-toms. They ended up being cheesy so I got rid of them. I do want one of those cool china types Portnoy designed. Awesome sound. Quick attack, short sustain. A nice crack sound.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 26 2009, 01:10 PM)
I do want one of those cool china types Portnoy designed. Awesome sound. Quick attack, short sustain. A nice crack sound.

the MAXX STAXX. real cool. i have the medium size stax. realy good for fast fills between your hands and feet.

I want Portnoy's HYPER-ENERGY!!! yes.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2009, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 26 2009, 01:10 PM)
I do want one of those cool china types Portnoy designed. Awesome sound. Quick attack, short sustain. A nice crack sound.

the MAXX STAXX. real cool. i have the medium size stax. realy good for fast fills between your hands and feet.

That's them. Still a bit pricey for me because it's one of those effects that shouldn't be over-used. Very effective though. Drummers everywhere should be thankful for his contribution. Hopefully he has another idea like that brewing.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 27 2009, 02:41 AM)
Portnoy did a lengthy writeup on his growling vocals in ANTR..

It also includes different versions of it.... even a harsher, more Mike Akerfeldt type of vocals

where can I get this?

QUOTE (Soni @ Jun 27 2009, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 27 2009, 02:41 AM)
Portnoy did a lengthy writeup on his growling vocals in ANTR..

It also includes different versions of it.... even a harsher, more Mike Akerfeldt type of vocals

where can I get this?

go on M.P's site

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 11:06 AM)
Upon fifth listen....This album still sucks.

Hey, nice to hear. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2009, 11:10 AM)

unsure.gif

tick has turned the corner? He has seen through the plastic?

But the album doesn't really suck.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 27 2009, 10:23 AM)

unsure.gif

No it doesn't. But it's not what i hoped for. I hold DT to a higher standard, as they've made some magical albums. This album is just so standard.

I want to hear music, not 7 minutes a song of DT dicking around with their instruments. On Images and Words and SFAM the extended instrumental passages were smart, beautiful, and fitting. Lately on the past two albums it's just the same cliched formula of Rudess' circus keyboards, and Mike Portnoy doing mini drum solos, followed by a synth vs guitar battle. It's really just old. They should try making music, not trying to follow some predesigned archetype that they've made since they fired Moore.

Also, the experimentation with harsher vocals is just embarrassing. It's not their bag, they aren't Opeth.

Edited by Sabs89

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 27 2009, 10:23 AM)

unsure.gif

No it doesn't. But it's not what i hoped for. I hold DT to a higher standard, as they've made some magical albums. This album is just so standard.

I want to hear music, not 7 minutes a song of DT dicking around with their instruments. On Images and Words and SFAM the extended instrumental passages were smart, beautiful, and fitting. Lately on the past two albums it's just the same cliched formula of Rudess' circus keyboards, and Mike Portnoy doing mini drum solos, followed by a synth vs guitar battle. It's really just old. They should try making music, not trying to follow some predesigned archetype that they've made since they fired Moore.

Also, the experimentation with harsher vocals is just embarrassing. It's not their bag, they aren't Opeth.

You are entitled to feel that way, but on the DT boards the fans are loving the album, and thats what really matters. I love the new album, and have no problem with what you call formulaic.

There really should be the official Dream Theater whiners thread, so all you disenchanted fans can criticize and bash there recent albums as much as you like.

No offense, but I started this thread to celebrate the band, not rip them apart at every turn.

Edited by tick