Rush 5.1 Mixes - Mission

chemistry1973

On one of the Facebook Rush forums this dude has been posting links to stereo versions of Rush’s 5.1 mixes.

Correction: these are not originally 5.1 mixes. This account created their own mixes, using software, and these uploaded tracks ostensibly can be played in 5.1 if you have a 5.1 system. Otherwise they play in stereo.

I have never heard any versions of these so holy shit on my part.

These are new mixes basically. The clarity is incredible. And in the case Mission, they chose a different mix, with a string section. Why the band never released similar stereo versions blows my mind.

Edited by chemistry1973
Added context

Interesting, I'll check this out when I get home.  HYF certainly could use a remix, so I'm curious to hear this.

What on Earth is the source for these?  I wasn't aware that album had been mixed into 5.1...

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:10 AM, chemistry1973 said:

On one of the Facebook Rush forums this dude has been posting links to stereo versions of Rush’s 5.1 mixes.

I have never heard any versions of these so holy shit on my part.

These are new mixes basically. The clarity is incredible. And in the case Mission, they chose a different mix, with a string section. Why the band never released similar stereo versions blows my mind.

Isn't the stereo mix on Sector 3?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 12:35 PM, Rush Didact said:

Interesting, I'll check this out when I get home.  HYF certainly could use a remix, so I'm curious to hear this.

What on Earth is the source for these?  I wasn't aware that album had been mixed into 5.1...

The sector box sets include 5.1 mixes but I’m not sure if all the albums got the 5.1 treatment, but HYF did for sure. I remember reading about how the wrong Mission mix got used for the 5.1, and it included this stunning string arrangement that - in my mind - takes the song to another level.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Only one album in each Sector box got a 5.1 version. Fly by Night, AFTK, and Signals. The boxes each had those standard albums on CD and also the 5.1 mixes separately on DVD. Then those three were later released on Blu-ray as well, I’ve got all of that. I’ve never seen anything about HYF being done in 5.1. If it was done officially I’d sure like to learn about it because I’m shocked I’d missed it.

• Like 1

Just now, snowdog2112 said:

Only one album in each Sector box got a 5.1 version. Fly by Night, AFTK, and Signals. The boxes each had those standard albums on CD and also the 5.1 mixes separately on DVD. Then those three were later released on Blu-ray as well, I’ve got all of that. I’ve never seen anything about HYF being done in 5.1. If it was done officially I’d sure like to learn about it because I’m shocked I’d missed it.

I’m sure you’re right. I don’t own the Sectors sets. But I remember reading about HYF and Mission mix.

Posted (edited)

OK - so not a 5.1 mix, but a remaster where the wrong mix was pulled.

the “5.1” mix down above is likely a homemade version, using the Van Dette remasters. Perhaps it never was in 5.1, but it still sounds

worlds better than the original album.

some clarification here.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rush-hold-your-fire.686321/page-4

Edited by chemistry1973

Interesting, I’ll dig into that in just a bit, thanks. Yeah, the only other “different” thing (and one of the rare things I don’t have) were the HD stereo mixes of the catalog that were only made available for download. I don’t know much about how those were done but I was wondering if somehow those could have been accessed and disassembled and rebuilt as a different mix, unofficially. 

On a slight tangent, I still remember doing a major double-take many years ago when I bought the Signals gold release that had the missing line of vocals on The Weapon. I didn’t have any idea how any of this stuff worked back then and I couldn’t believe that an original song could be altered like that, and had even less of an idea of why it would be, lol!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snowdog2112 said:

On a slight tangent, I still remember doing a major double-take many years ago when I bought the Signals gold release that had the missing line of vocals on The Weapon. I didn’t have any idea how any of this stuff worked back then and I couldn’t believe that an original song could be altered like that, and had even less of an idea of why it would be, lol!

I remember that too! A gold edition remaster! I wonder if these new “up mixes” include that version!

Posted (edited)

Check it out! Extra drum fills/bars and longer instrumental section. The solo seems different and more legato as well.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

I would love to hear one of them speak on why the strings didn't make the cut for the original mix.  It's a fair amount of effort to arrange and record them only to not use them.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 9:19 PM, snowdog2112 said:

The story is the vocal line that we are all familiar with was added at a later. time. At that point Mobile Fidelity had the original masters and that vocal line wasn't on them.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 1:19 PM, Timbale said:

I would love to hear one of them speak on why the strings didn't make the cut for the original mix.  It's a fair amount of effort to arrange and record them only to not use them.

Geddy has several times briefly. I think one of the times was in one of the bios.

I think he called it "The Full Monty" version but he never went into much detail.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ytserush said:

Geddy has several times briefly. I think one of the times was in one of the bios.

I think he called it "The Full Monty" version but he never went into much detail.

Doesn't he explain all this in detail in his book? The orchestra was Peter Collins' idea that he kept pushing for (some sort of English street orchestra thing), but the band ultimately vetoed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Doesn't he explain all this in detail in his book? The orchestra was Peter Collins' idea that he kept pushing for (some sort of English street orchestra thing), but the band ultimately vetoed.

I had forgotten that from the book.  It's possible that I am responding positively to it just because it's a new variation of a song I've heard so many times...but I think the strings add a really nice layer without being overwhelming.  I'm sure in the moment it might have seemed like a big arrangement choice, but I would venture to say it doesn't alter or "soften" the song very much at all...just gives it a bit more depth.

I'm also surprised that when they toured with the string section they didn't find the charts for this and play it.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 7:31 AM, Rush Didact said:

Wasn’t this the Glaswegian Chorus?

On 5/4/2024 at 10:31 AM, Rush Didact said:

Some detail yeah. I'd forgotten about that.  A lot of what he said was covered before in various places over the years. Geddy never seems to go into the weeds too much regarding musical decisions.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 1:19 PM, Timbale said:

I had forgotten that from the book.  It's possible that I am responding positively to it just because it's a new variation of a song I've heard so many times...but I think the strings add a really nice layer without being overwhelming.  I'm sure in the moment it might have seemed like a big arrangement choice, but I would venture to say it doesn't alter or "soften" the song very much at all...just gives it a bit more depth.

I'm also surprised that when they toured with the string section they didn't find the charts for this and play it.

Yeah, It's a very subtle change in hindsight. I'm glad it it was released even if it was never meant to be.

Love the Sector Box Sets. 

Other than the MOFI remasters I own (2112, PW, MP and Signals) these Sector Box sets were outstanding remasters. 

HYF did have not only the strings section in Mission but also some tiny easter eggs on High Water (A elephant like wail from Alex’s guitar) and in Time Stand Still a very subtle extra beat from Neil in the transition coming out of the first chorus into the second verse. 

Power Windows sounds amazing on the sector remaster.