This is an esoteric question

20 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Same here. It's one of those words that I am familiar with but had to look up the meaning to since it's not a word that I use or come across in every day conversation.

It's very similar to dingalangalong.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve been going back and forth with our raison d’etre. On one hand they definitely have some of the most insane chemistry any band has ever had. On the other, they tended to use it as a means to achieve this like perfect, unblemished end, especially by the end of their career. They could play almost any song they’d ever done note for note perfect live as if the studio version had just been recorded live on the floor in one take. I think what I’m kinda getting at is bands that were a little more organic, especially in their live approach, and not so set on perfect reproductions.

You and your raison d’etre!

44 minutes ago, treeduck said:

You and your raison d’etre!

I like to keep it next to your mis en scène, :p

On 4/4/2024 at 12:00 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That’s probably true, but I also don’t really listen to much Dead/Allmans/Phish type stuff, so idk for sure. 

Came here to say The Allman Brothers Band. They had exactly what you're describing.

Not for their whole career, but definitely in the early 70s (with Duane Allman) and then again in the 2000s (with Derek Trucks).

Check out "Live at the Fillmore East" - it's the best place to start, and one of the best live albums of all time. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Came here to say The Allman Brothers Band. They had exactly what you're describing.

Not for their whole career, but definitely in the early 70s (with Duane Allman) and then again in the 2000s (with Derek Trucks).

Check out "Live at the Fillmore East" - it's the best place to start, and one of the best live albums of all time. 

Duane era Allman's was the first thing that popped in my head with the Grateful Dead being second.

Also agree that there was a lot of magic with the Warren/Derek ABB era.

For me,  I don't feel the 'magic' with bands who pretty much play the songs exactly like they are on the album.  It's all rehearsed and planned.  Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of those bands at well but not to the context of EP's original post.

It's the bands that go into the free flowing jazz improvisation where nobody knows what's gonna happen next.  Then the 'magic' happens when everyone listens to what everyone else is doing and everyone synchs up and adds in their moments to elevate the spiritual moments.

Honorable mentions:

Phish

Gov't Mule with Allen Woody when they were a power trio

Luther Dickinson era Black Crowes

• Like 4

In naming some bands, groups, and artists, who have "Esoteric", chemistry, and alchemy powers in the studio, and performing live, to me, they stand out, can be, and are

Rush

U2

Coldplay

Genesis

Yes

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Ozzy Osbourne

Dio

Edited by Derek19

6 minutes ago, apetersvt said:

Duane era Allman's was the first thing that popped in my head with the Grateful Dead being second.

Also agree that there was a lot of magic with the Warren/Derek ABB era.

For me,  I don't feel the 'magic' with bands who pretty much play the songs exactly like they are on the album.  It's all rehearsed and planned.  Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of those bands at well but not to the context of EP's original post.

It's the bands that go into the free flowing jazz improvisation where nobody knows what's gonna happen next.  Then the 'magic' happens when everyone listens to what everyone else is doing and everyone synchs up and adds in their moments to elevate the spiritual moments.

Honorable mentions:

Phish

Gov't Mule with Allen Woody when they were a power trio

Luther Dickinson era Black Crowes

Along that line, As The Crow Flies was like that when I saw them

So with Phish, a song is NEVER the same when played live.   That's why seeing this band live is always an experience.

Another thing with Phish is CK5, their lighting guy.  His lighting performance is a "jam" sort of speak, and along with the music, the lighting is never the same.

Exhibit A

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:24 AM, treeduck said:

What about DIO??

I loved Ronnie but I always thought he had a single minded approach, rather than a particular 'chemistry' with his fellow bandmates.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2024 at 2:40 PM, apetersvt said:

You must not feel much magic with Rush then. 

I loved the trio, but I always got the sense in concert that they didn't listen to one another very closely. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their parts were just so complicated and predetermined. Ged, Alex, and Neil were more concerned with hitting their individual marks, finishing the descending run on the 1, etc.

All of it was laid out well in advance. And because they were all so precise, the group moved like clockwork.

Angelically. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 8:16 PM, custom55 said:

So with Phish, a song is NEVER the same when played live.   That's why seeing this band live is always an experience.

Another thing with Phish is CK5, their lighting guy.  His lighting performance is a "jam" sort of speak, and along with the music, the lighting is never the same.

Exhibit A

I went to a Phish concert once. I was the only person not on drugs. 

Bored out of my skull after a while. I watched a skinny guy wearing a purple wizard's robe and purple wizard's hat move through the audience selling "magic peanut butter" in tinfoil. He was more entertaining than what was happening onstage.

Weird vibes overall. 2/10 would not recommend. A Rush crowd was always more my style. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I went to a Phish concert once. I was the only person not on drugs. 

Bored out of my skull after a while. I watched a skinny guy wearing a purple wizard's robe and purple wizard's hat move through the audience selling "magic peanut butter" in tinfoil. He was more entertaining than what was happening onstage.

Weird vibes overall. 2/10 would not recommend. A Rush crowd was always more my style. 

I've been to many Phish shows, never on drugs but maybe a beer or three.   Like any band, they don't appeal to every one.   I think they're fantastic.   You are correct about the crowd.  Anything goes and I thinks that's fantastic.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Weatherman said:

You must not feel much magic with Rush then. 

I loved the trio, but I always got the sense in concert that they didn't listen to one another very closely. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their parts were just so complicated and predetermined. Ged, Alex, and Neil were more concerned with hitting their individual marks, finishing the descending run on the 1, etc.

All of it was laid out well in advance. And because they were all so precise, the group moved like clockwork.

Angelically. 

Fun as a RUSH insider, but for the tangentially interested? :zzz:

Which, as an insider, I loved