DEVO Documentary Debuts At Sundance

goose

DEVO has one of those legacies that makes a mockery of success. Have they been all that influential? (That's a question, not a claim disguised as a question). I'd wager several members are better regarded for the later TV and movie music, but everyone knows "Whip It"!

• Like 2

I don't even know that much about them or their music, but I'd love to see it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamie said:

I don't even know that much about them or their music, but I'd love to see it.

Same here.  Casual awareness of them at best.  But I bet there are interesting stories.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 1:23 PM, grep said:

Same here.  Casual awareness of them at best.  But I bet there are interesting stories.  Looking forward to it.

The early years are really interesting, 1973 etc at Kent State.  They were quite innovative and experimental

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 9:39 AM, Nova Carmina said:

DEVO has one of those legacies that makes a mockery of success. Have they been all that influential? (That's a question, not a claim disguised as a question). I'd wager several members are better regarded for the later TV and movie music, but everyone knows "Whip It"!

Morhersbaugh has had a long career in tv/movie music, much like Stew Copeland.  Influence is a good question, as they more or less stood alone in what they did.  It's arguable whether the pushed the incorporation of digitized music or more reflected its natural progression.  I actually think they lost their way as they moved farther from guitars.

• Like 2

Sure enough, a 1973-77 Devo rarities 3-lp set is being released.  There's already plenty on the YouTube for the curious.

"ART DEVO showcases the mesmerizing evolution of a band on the brink of discovery, mining irony, wit and dark humour from the madness of a distorted modern world still coming to terms with aftermath of a collapsed economy and the Vietnam war. From 1973-1977 Devo would transform from an art project, pop art in the literal sense, into the group David Bowie would declare ‘the band of the future.’ "

Edited by goose

On 2/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, goose said:

Morhersbaugh has had a long career in tv/movie music, much like Stew Copeland.  Influence is a good question, as they more or less stood alone in what they did.  It's arguable whether the pushed the incorporation of digitized music or more reflected its natural progression.  I actually think they lost their way as they moved farther from guitars.

Best not to overthink these things.  Is DEVO on par with the Stones or even Blondie?  No.  Did they make enjoyable music when you're in the mood for something a little quirky?  Yep.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Best not to overthink these things.  Is DEVO on par with the Stones or even Blondie?  No.  Did they make enjoyable music when you're in the mood for something a little quirky?  Yep.

^^^ jocko homo

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Mick Jagger or Blondie wishes they were as productive musically as Mark Mothersbaugh. He's done scores for 4 Wes Anderson movies, as well as music for TV shows, video games, and commercials. DEVO's music is not for everybody, but is any music for everybody? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Mick Jagger or Blondie wishes they were as productive musically as Mark Mothersbaugh. He's done scores for 4 Wes Anderson movies, as well as music for TV shows, video games, and commercials. DEVO's music is not for everybody, but is any music for everybody? 

Jagger wishes he was as productive as Mothersbaugh?

Blondie was instrumental in ushering in new wave and rap’s crossover.