Max Webster

malm_51

4 hours ago, ytserush said:

Love them. Never got to see them. I imagine they would be an acquired taste these days.

Same here, very quirky for sure! Always had that Rush connection going on though, touring. same record label, (Battle Scar). Pye Dubois (lyricist) and of course being Canadian.

Discovered them by accident, was at the local record store in 79 looking for the artist of "Lay it on the Line" (Triumph) I wasn't sure of the title, the guy at the counter said maybe it's "Let Go the Line" by Max Webster who he assured me was a very talented band! So yah I bought "A million Vacations" and was pleasantly surprised although not getting the song I was looking for.

• Like 1

I appreciate their musicianship and their progressive leanings in terms of how "part-y" some of their music is...but Kim Mitchell is super annoying to me.  And Pye Dubois' lyrics are just on the wrong side of quirky for me.

Love them, one of my all time faves. Small discography. 5 studio albums, 1 single live album and 1 best of released shortly after the band's demise.

Pye's lyrics were a bit Beefheartesque which is not for all tastes but I loved them. Not a bad record in the bunch. A couple of years ago the fellow who runs maxwebsterlive.ca had a treasure trove of live board tapes, unreleased studio material and audience recordings and shared them. What a gift he gave to all of us fans. There was enough unreleased songs included in those tapes that would make up another 3 maybe 4 studio records. 

A little bit of prog, a little Zappa, a little Beefheart and a lot of Canadiana

High Class in Borrowed Shoes is generally considered their best album but all 5 records have plenty to offer

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, Timbale said:

Kim Mitchell is super annoying to me. 

Hey, I think I have to agree somewhat, saw an interview on youtube around covid (2019-20) Every thing he said annoyed me!! I was surprised to say the least!! However he is a good guitarist which I appreciate!!

Edited by malm_51

One of my all time favourite bands. 
Saw them supporting Rush back in the day, hugely enjoyable set if a tad short. There was a program on each seat with a plastic sampler disc that I still own. Got all their albums on CD and had them all on vinyl. Mutiny Up My Sleeve and A Million Vacations are my favourites followed closely by Universal Juveniles. 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, Tony R said:

One of my all time favourite bands. 
 Mutiny Up My Sleeve and A Million Vacations are my favourites  

Yah, I'd have to say, "I agree 100%". Too bad "Live Magnetic Air" wasn't a double album to showcase these two albums!!

• Like 3

If you haven't hard this yet, here is something that will make up for Live Magnetic Air falling a  little short

Check this set list out

1) Charmonium (tape)

2) High Class in Borrowed Shoes

3) Oh War!

4) Here Among the Cats

5) In Context of the Moon

6) Gravity

7) Coming Off the Moon

8) Diamonds Diamonds

9) Toronto Tontos

10) Rain Child

11) Astonish Me

12) Waterline

13) The Party

14) Beyond the Moon

15) Hangover

16) America's Veins

17) Let Your Man Fly

18) Research (at Beach Resorts)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, taurus said:

If you haven't hard this yet, here is something that will make up for Live Magnetic Air falling a  little short

Check this set list out

1) Charmonium (tape)

3) Oh War!

4) Here Among the Cats

6) Gravity

7) Coming Off the Moon

8) Diamonds Diamonds

9) Toronto Tontos

10) Rain Child

11) Astonish Me

12) Waterline

13) The Party

14) Beyond the Moon

15) Hangover

16) America's Veins

17) Let Your Man Fly

18) Research (at Beach Resorts)

Thanks! I'm going to listen to this.

Aside from Live Magnetic Air I've not listed to a lot of live Max. I've never thought that CD did them a lot of justice as a live band.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, taurus said:

Check this set list out

1) Charmonium (tape)

3) Oh War!

4) Here Among the Cats

6) Gravity

7) Coming Off the Moon

8) Diamonds Diamonds

9) Toronto Tontos

10) Rain Child

11) Astonish Me