Good Article on Geddy in today's The Washington Post

Principled Man

11 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Was curious about Geddy's friendship with Steve Shutt so I did a little searching and found a journal entry from Shutt

"I took my bass home and started practicing. I read my “Introduction to Bass Playing” book. I did scales and learned how to tune the bass. After a couple of weeks, I thought I was getting the hang of playing and sounding pretty good, so I went over to Geddy’s house to show him. When I got there, he had his bass out and one of those old portable record players where, when you opened it up, the speaker would be in the lid. I got out my bass out and said “Okay, let’s do some scales.” Geddy looked at me and said, “Um, I can’t do scales.” My confidence started to rise. “I’ll show you,” I told him. “Just follow me.” Maybe I did have some talent.

Geddy said, “Wait, before we do that, let’s listen to this record.” I told him that would be fine. The record started on the cheap portable player and he said, “Listen, can you hear the bass?” Then he said, “Look at this,” and started playing. His bass came alive. It pounded the speakers of the 12″ amp and sounded great. I didn’t know if he was copying the record or not because I couldn’t even hear the bass on the record. He did the same thing on the next song and the next one after that. I went home and put my bass away and I don’t think that I ever picked it up again. I guess, looking back, it would have been tough for anyone to compare with the best bass guitar player in the world. I think that both of us made the right decision."

Couldn't access the site but this was quoted in a Reddit thread a few months ago.  More interesting trivia :biggrin:

I think they both made the right choice!

On 11/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, zappafrank said:

"It was nice to know that if we decide to go out, Alex and I, whether we went out as part of a new thing, or whether we just wanted to go out and play RUSH as RUSH, we could do that now."

Play together again?  Yes, please!

As Rush?  No, please call it something else.  So much of the live show was based around Neil, and it would feel off.  Using some other name would feel like a fresh start and feel cleaner and most likely would sit better with people.

Just my opinion.

On 11/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, grep said:

For a few years we have all been saying that there is no Rush without Neil.  I've been phrasing that online as "There is no more Rush".

That might not necessarily be true anymore.

Holy shit.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

I will not go see them perform as Rush. That era is over. Peart is not here anymore and it was stated by the remaining members that it would not happen. I saw it as a respect issue. I will continue that respect.

If you want to do Lee/Lifeson I'm game for that. But hold onto your promises.

Would I go see Ged and Al perform live? Of course I would. Would calling the act RUSH be my first choice? Of course not. Look man, I get that first album has a couple of decent tunes but it's no Presto. I wasn't eating solid food or listening to rock and or roll in 1974. For me RUSH started with that last great album of the 70's, Permanent Waves. For Alex and Geddy though RUSH was a thing, albeit somewhat briefly, before Neil. I know they love, respect and miss Neil. If they decide to play some dates live under the RUSH banner, am I going to sit it out? Frack no.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Would I go see Ged and Al perform live? Of course I would. Would calling the act RUSH be my first choice? Of course not. Look man, I get that first album has a couple of decent tunes but it's no Presto. I wasn't eating solid food or listening to rock and or roll in 1974. For me RUSH started with that last great album of the 70's, Permanent Waves. For Alex and Geddy though RUSH was a thing, albeit somewhat briefly, before Neil. I know they love, respect and miss Neil. If they decide to play some dates live under the RUSH banner, am I going to sit it out? Frack no.

I definitely respect your opinion.

EVEN THOUGHT IT'S WRONG!!!!!!!!!

🤪

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:50 AM, JohnRogers said:

For me RUSH started with that last great album of the 70's, Permanent Waves.

It's never too soon or late to revive this one. :cheers:

• Haha 2

Been a long time since I visited here! The thought of there being another chance to hear these songs played by Lee'n'Lifeson (band name right there) makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise in anticipation! There will be divided opinion but I think the Prof would be sitting upstairs saying 'DO IT'!

Edit to add: And I'm sure he would say that not for himself or for us, but for them!

Edited by dons01

On 11/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

I will not go see them perform as Rush. That era is over. Peart is not here anymore and it was stated by the remaining members that it would not happen. I saw it as a respect issue. I will continue that respect.

If you want to do Lee/Lifeson I'm game for that. But hold onto your promises.

I get it. If they perform again, my preference would be for it to be under their individual names, not Rush. However the promoter may ask they name the tour, not the band, Ged n Al play Rush, something like that. Probably best they keep the R word out IMO.

Please consider the weight of Geddys comments- Dave flew out to Toronto to personally ask Ged n Al to play at Taylors memorial shows. After one of the shows, the biggest living legend in music history, perhaps of all time allegedly tells Ged he believes him n Al should play again. I didn't even think McCartney knew Rush music. They were celebrating the careers of 2 great drummers,  and were making people happy.That's what music is about? And they billed that performance as Rush..

Would Neil really want them to turn Sir Paul down if the promoters want the R word somewhere in the marquee ?

Of course the band isn't the band without Neil. But...Rush makes people happy. That's why Dave went to extraordinary lengths to have them play on his stage, and likely why a living legend approached Geddy.

(Having Van Squalen flashbacks)

1 hour ago, GabesCavesOfIce said:

I get it. If they perform again, my preference would be for it to be under their individual names, not Rush. However the promoter may ask they name the tour, not the band, Ged n Al play Rush, something like that. Probably best they keep the R word out IMO.

Please consider the weight of Geddys comments- Dave flew out to Toronto to personally ask Ged n Al to play at Taylors memorial shows. After one of the shows, the biggest living legend in music history, perhaps of all time allegedly tells Ged he believes him n Al should play again. I didn't even think McCartney knew Rush music. They were celebrating the careers of 2 great drummers,  and were making people happy.That's what music is about? And they billed that performance as Rush..

Would Neil really want them to turn Sir Paul down if the promoters want the R word somewhere in the marquee ?

Of course the band isn't the band without Neil. But...Rush makes people happy. That's why Dave went to extraordinary lengths to have them play on his stage, and likely why a living legend approached Geddy.

(Having Van Squalen flashbacks)

Reported 

Lol I kill myself!

I would be fine even with Lee/Lifeson and special guest (insert drummer here) celebrate Rush.

Edited to say I'm soooo happy they did r40 like they did. Going back in time was very special to me. I truly wish I could live it all again!

Edited by Pressure/Hopenosis
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, grep said:

For a few years we have all been saying that there is no Rush without Neil.  I've been phrasing that online as "There is no more Rush".

That might not necessarily be true anymore.

Holy shit.

Well you never know, but...

On 11/12/2023 at 2:53 AM, Rhyta said:

Was curious about Geddy's friendship with Steve Shutt so I did a little searching and found a journal entry from Shutt

"I took my bass home and started practicing. I read my “Introduction to Bass Playing” book. I did scales and learned how to tune the bass. After a couple of weeks, I thought I was getting the hang of playing and sounding pretty good, so I went over to Geddy’s house to show him. When I got there, he had his bass out and one of those old portable record players where, when you opened it up, the speaker would be in the lid. I got out my bass out and said “Okay, let’s do some scales.” Geddy looked at me and said, “Um, I can’t do scales.” My confidence started to rise. “I’ll show you,” I told him. “Just follow me.” Maybe I did have some talent.

Geddy said, “Wait, before we do that, let’s listen to this record.” I told him that would be fine. The record started on the cheap portable player and he said, “Listen, can you hear the bass?” Then he said, “Look at this,” and started playing. His bass came alive. It pounded the speakers of the 12″ amp and sounded great. I didn’t know if he was copying the record or not because I couldn’t even hear the bass on the record. He did the same thing on the next song and the next one after that. I went home and put my bass away and I don’t think that I ever picked it up again. I guess, looking back, it would have been tough for anyone to compare with the best bass guitar player in the world. I think that both of us made the right decision."

Couldn't access the site but this was quoted in a Reddit thread a few months ago.  More interesting trivia :biggrin:

Guess it's trivia now but Steve Shutt and the Canadians were thanked in the liner notes for Moving Pictures. Always thought that was really cool.

• Like 1