Any Allan Holdsworth fans?

Timbale

I have heard many guitar players – Alex Lifeson in particular – talk about Holdsworth as an influence… And I have never listened to him.

Are there any fans here? Anyone who can suggest a good place to start a journey of discovery?

• Like 3

Yeah I love Holdsworth. Hard to pinpoint a good starting place with Allan  - he developed in many ways over time. The song Scirroco off Lifetime with Tony Williams for an introduction to his more ''basic playing'' :laugh:and sound. But for a more immediate album I'd recommend  Metal Fatigue which covers his modern sound a little more. As mentioned Allan always kept developing right up to The Sixteen Men Of Tain, his last album. 

There are many nuggets to be found though, from the band Tempest, the band UK. the band Soft Machine, and his solo albums ''Sand'', Hard Hat Area, Secrets and Wardenclyffe Tower etc. Zarabeth is one of the greatest, most moving solos ever IMO . 

I love his solo on Desert Girl - Planet X - he did many guest appearances on various albums.

Good luck to listening to the greatest guitarist of this world and many others, you're in for a treat.

• Like 7

Yes.

I’ve seen him live a couple times.

He was not helped by the dated production on his biggest albums.

Seeing him live was an entirely

different thing. Loud, heavy, funky.

It helped that Chad Wackerman and Jimmy Johnson were his rhythm section when I saw him at the baked potato.

• Like 5

Yeah I've been a fan since the mid-80s. If I had to choose one guitarist as the "best" I'd probably choose Holdsworth. 

Start with UK the 1978 debut album, then try his first few solo albums IOU, Road Games and Metal Fatigue. Then carry on with Atavachron, Sand, Secrets, Wardenclyffe Tower and Hard Hat Area. 

Also check out Tony Williams Lifetime Believe It album.

• Like 8

On 10/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Timbale said:

I have heard many guitar players – Alex Lifeson in particular – talk about Holdsworth as an influence… And I have never listened to him.

Are there any fans here? Anyone who can suggest a good place to start a journey of discovery?

Anything with his name on it.  Wish I'd seen him live. Almost did in the years before he died. But you figure guys like that should be around forever. Like Jeff Beck.

IOU Live in Japan 1984 is sitting in a small pile of CD's I'd like to get to this weekend.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, chemistry1973 said:

Yes.

I’ve seen him live a couple times.

He was not helped by the dated production on his biggest albums.

Seeing him live was an entirely

different thing. Loud, heavy, funky.

It helped that Chad Wackerman and Jimmy Johnson were his rhythm section when I saw him at the baked potato.

On 10/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, chemistry1973 said:

That must have been special.  Passed on his last few dates playing the Irdium  mostly because it cost more to get to New York these days than than ticket prices there.

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about him but I was introduced to his playing on albums with Jean Luc-Ponty.  Some great jazz fusion work that still sounds great today.   He played on multiple albums, here's one tune where he does a great back and forth with JLP.  Very good.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:12 PM, ytserush said:

Who?

Love his angry rant here :heart:  He's upset that Allan Holdsworth wasn't on this list.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, condemned2bfree said:

One of his more direct solos, its not 4 minutes long. :laugh:

That's a great example of his shorter form solos, as is this one. I would consider this a perfect guitar solo.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

That's a great example of his shorter form solos, as is this one. I would consider this a perfect guitar solo.

Another relatively succinct and incredible solo. The tone! Amazing that everyone who listens has a perfect Holdsworth solo, that differ from each other :laugh:.

• Like 2

tried him out several times and even have been personally recommended him since i'm heavily into shredding, prog rock, and jazz.. seems like he'd be perfect. I like a lot of it but most goes one ear and out the other. this thread inspired me to give him another try and it's good but i actually prefer his calmer songs.

lately though, in general, i've been gravitating towards calmer/softer music.

I've listened to half a dozen of his albums on spotify as well as some random ones on shuffle

My favorite songs by him (so far)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

This and Floppy Hat are my favourite Holdsworth acoustic. There's an acoustic intro to a UK song , Nevermore, that's great too. Wish he did more acoustic pieces. Guess he was chasing that ''tone''.

• Like 1