The Official 2023-24 NHL Season Thread

Rhyta

Boston Bruins

Playing 12 seasons with Boston, Cheevers appeared in 416 games between the pipes for the Bruins. He stopped 10,579 of the 11,747 shots he faced for a save percentage of .901. Ranked fourth in franchise history, Cheevers won 226 games while donning the Spoked-B with 26 via shutout. He backstopped the Bruins to two Stanley Cup wins in 1970 and 1972.     

Boston BRUINS Gerry CHEEVERS #30 Signed CLOSEUP 8X10 Two CUPS Holo & COA CREEPY! - Picture 1 of 1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I was the best because the crowd loved me.  Win the crowd, and you will win your freedom.  

— Proximo

McDermott gave Rempe a good fight.  This was crazy, everyone expected this fight but the whole group???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

McDermott gave Rempe a good fight.  This was crazy, everyone expected this fight but the whole group???

I've never followed hockey, so I don't know the history.  Do you foresee a day in which fights are no more, or will they always happen?

3 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

I've never followed hockey, so I don't know the history.  Do you foresee a day in which fights are no more, or will they always happen?

Fights will always be a part of the game, period.  The league has been actively working to lower the incidence of them.  I've been a fan since the 70's and they have dropped off dramatically from the games I've watched.  Personally I am glad we don't have these types of brawls as much because the game is so much more fun to watch with all the great scoring and passing.  But sometimes there are cases for payback and this was supposed to be between just two guys and it blew up.  These teams have a big rivalry so guess it just happened.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Fights will always be a part of the game, period.  The league has been actively working to lower the incidence of them.  I've been a fan since the 70's and they have dropped off dramatically from the games I've watched.  Personally I am glad we don't have these types of brawls as much because the game is so much more fun to watch with all the great scoring and passing.  But sometimes there are cases for payback and this was supposed to be between just two guys and it blew up.  These teams have a big rivalry so guess it just happened.

I loved how the last two remaining Devils looked at each other as if to say, "Which one of us is going to fight Miller?"  :scared: :scared:  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Principled Man said:

To me, I haven't liked fighting, and didn't believe it was necessary in any hockey games, and leagues.  If, and when there are any types of stick incidents, and infractions no matter being accidental, or not, and a choice between those, and fights, I would pick fights because sticks can do more damage to people, and individuals.  If sticks were kept down, and no incidents, and infractions involving them, then there likely wouldn't have been any fights, or as many of them occurring, and happening.  The N.H.L. has been working in trying to limit, or not have them part of the games.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Derek19 said:

To me, I haven't liked fighting, and didn't believe it was necessary in any hockey games, and leagues.  If, and when there are any types of stick incidents, and infractions no matter being accidental, or not, and a choice between those, and fights, I would pick fights because sticks can do more damage to people, and individuals.  If sticks were kept down, and no incidents, and infractions involving them, then there likely wouldn't have been any fights, or as many of them occurring, and happening.  The N.H.L. has been working in trying to limit, or not have them part of the games.  

I think it's silly to force players to keep their helmets on during fights in order to discourage them from undertaking in such behavior. Either forbid these actions or let them go at it. 

Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 2

I've thought for years it was sort of suspicious there was so much less fighting in the playoffs. It was like everyone collectively said, "Alright, time to get serious about this playing hockey thing." 

:hockey2:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I've thought for years it was sort of suspicious there was so much less fighting in the playoffs. It was like everyone collectively said, "Alright, time to get serious about this playing hockey thing." 

:hockey2:

In the old days, goons didn't get as much ice time during playoffs. Now there's hardly any goons left. Everybody wants to be Gretzky.  :coy:

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 3:37 PM, Rhyta said:

Fight was probably expected, but right from first puck drop?

38 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Fight was probably expected, but right from first puck drop?

There was some bad blood over the last two games with these teams.  Rempe made some bad hits and served a suspension.  Refs wouldn't let them fight the last game they played so it was expected they would duke it out at the beginning.  Just didn't expect everyone to go at it.

• Like 2

Avs struggling and now Rantenen is out on concussion protocol after lousy hit by Edmonton.  We beat Dallas 3 times this year but yesterday was not our day.  :sigh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Avs struggling and now Rantenen is out on concussion protocol after lousy hit by Edmonton.  We beat Dallas 3 times this year but yesterday was not our day.  :sigh:

Hawks beat Stars, Stars beat Av's, Av's beat Wild...ok, I went too far there.   :blush:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Avs had a much better night, 5-2 over the Wild. MacKinnon got a hat trick, first time he has 50 goals in a season (with the 3rd goal it is 51).  With an assist on another goal, he is closer to Kucherov in the Hart race with 137 points.  Makar had 3 assists and a goal as well.   This is more like the Avs I love :pirate::clap:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Avs had a much better night, 5-2 over the Wild. MacKinnon got a hat trick, first time he has 50 goals in a season (with the 3rd goal it is 51).  With an assist on another goal, he is closer to Kucherov in the Hart race with 137 points.  Makar had 3 assists and a goal as well.   This is more like the Avs I love :pirate::clap:

McDavid also belongs in that race.

5 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

McDavid also belongs in that race.

McDavid is currently in third place and he's won it several times before.  I really hope MacKinnon gets it because he has taken his play to another level this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

McDavid is currently in third place and he's won it several times before.  I really hope MacKinnon gets it because he has taken his play to another level this year.

Besides, McDavid is hurt right now. No chance to catch up to the top two.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Feeling a bit concerned, Avs have had some serious lapses and lost some key games.  Will be playing Winnipeg in the first round and that's not looking so good.  Just hope they manage to finish on a win Thursday.

On other news, not sure what the hell is going on with the NHL, going to send the Coyotes to SLC??  As much as I would love to have an NHL team near me, this has me feeling skeptical.  After all, the owner of the Utah Jazz will be involved, what could go wrong?  Oh, how about getting a new arena built then selling the team as soon as your tax write offs expire.  Yeah that happened once before so I wonder what do we not know about this deal?:rolleyes:  Stay tuned I guess.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4