The Official 2023-24 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

Now that Liverpool have played a match, it seems the right time to refresh the thread and start over.

Of course, that match was a draw, and I'm suddenly slightly worried about how this is all going to shake out.

• The topic was pinned
On 8/13/2023 at 6:44 PM, Nova Carmina said:

Now that Liverpool have played a match, it seems the right time to refresh the thread and start over.

Of course, that match was a draw, and I'm suddenly slightly worried about how this is all going to shake out.

From my perspective, you`ve nothing to worry about - just play a 5-5 formation, bypassing the midfield area completely. :thumbsup:

Another season is upon us and still this indifference i have been experiencing remains with me.

I'll pop in and out of this thread but I really need to find my football mojo again!!

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

Another season is upon us and still this indifference i have been experiencing remains with me.

I'll pop in and out of this thread but I really need to find my football mojo again!!

Watching Wolves outplay the living crap out of Utd and get denied one of the most blatant pens in history is the kind of thing that drives people away...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

That Could Work GIFs | Tenor

Well, if you can think of a better solution to the fact Chelsea will buy any midfielder Klopp likes? It seems like there`s some trouble with Sporting Directors at Anfield and that isn`t helping any of these mooted transfers turn into reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Well, if you can think of a better solution to the fact Chelsea will buy any midfielder Klopp likes? It seems like there`s some trouble with Sporting Directors at Anfield and that isn`t helping any of these mooted transfers turn into reality.

No, we seem to have lost some of that fairy dust that turns transfers our way. It's hard out here for a middle class club!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zepphead said:

The Salah-Klopp spat is not helping. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zepphead said:

Yes, please do! LFC needs all the good vibes they can get!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Watching Wolves outplay the living crap out of Utd and get denied one of the most blatant pens in history is the kind of thing that drives people away...

It's the Old Trafford penalty thing .... something in the air there causes 'referee blindness'!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

The Salah-Klopp spat is not helping. 

I worry about the Reds this season.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zepphead said:

It's the Old Trafford penalty thing .... something in the air there causes 'referee blindness'!!

Referees usually give goalkeepers a lot of leeway in their own penalty box, but that was ridiculous.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I guess it's just a weird coincidence that the Saudi league scores have suddenly started appearing in my ESPN soccer news feed. Nothing ominous or nefarious in that at all, right?

The Zielinski-Krychowiak-Michniewicz effect.   :gumby: :gumby: :gumby:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WWC final will be England vs. Spain.  

England I considered a possible contender going in (despite the injured players they have).  Spain - significant surprise.

I had hoped Sweden would beat Spain in their semi and thought they would, but was not totally shocked by Spain's victory over them.

Why was a routing for Sweden over Spain?  2 reasons.

#1 - Sweden has come so close so many times (winning the 3rd place game at the last 2 WWC's, the last 2 WEC's and silver medals at the last 2 Olympics) and the players involved have been around a while.  Would have been nice for them to finally win a big tournament.

#2 - Spain.  Their style of play is similar to the mens team and I hate the tacky-tack style that the Spanish men have used.  So boring.  Turns me off.  Plus, a large number of the women on the Spanish national team had protested again their own coach and federation last year.  I know people will always complain about the boss (trust me, having been the boss over 20 or so people I know it well) but this feels like something more although I don't know all the details.  Instead of fixing things, most of those who signed the letter of complaint are gone.  I don't know much more, but that sort of turns me off to Spain.

So I wanted Sweden to win.

England vs. the Aussies was a pick mum for me.  Bit surprised it was 3-1.  Though it would be 2-1 for whoever won.

Clearly I will be rooting for England in the final.

Who do I think will win?  Hmmm, I guess England (they will have their suspended player back) but will not be shocked if Spain wins.  They are on a roll.

26 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

#2 - Spain.  Their style of play is similar to the mens team and I hate the tacky-tack style that the Spanish men have used.  So boring.  

Tiki-taka is boring?

:confused:

23 hours ago, goose said:

Tiki-taka is boring?

:confused:

For me - its like watching paint dry.  I was sooooo happy when the Dutch crushed Spain in opening game of the 2014 WC.  For me that signaled the start of the end of its domination.  I was right.  Not only that but it got much better - Germany won that cup.  I was soooo happy.

But till then it had been several major tournaments of hoping for fun football and not getting it.  Listen, the Dutch were big time dirty in the 2010 final and should had about half the team sent off, but I was still rooting for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

For me - its like watching paint dry.  I was sooooo happy when the Dutch crushed Spain in opening game of the 2014 WC.  For me that signaled the start of the end of its domination.  I was right.  Not only that but it got much better - Germany won that cup.  I was soooo happy.

But till then it had been several major tournaments of hoping for fun football and not getting it.  Listen, the Dutch were big time dirty in the 2010 final and should had about half the team sent off, but I was still rooting for them. 

And let's not forget the 1990 World Cup with Rijkaard repeated spitting at Voller, not that I'm a big fan of Germany, mind you. The Dutch were cursed to finish second, but how many nations would give their all to get the same results. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

So we differ.  I find the Dutch approach brutish and contrary to the spirit of the Beautiful Game.

When I want that I watch Australian rules. :ROCK: