Queens of the Stone Age!

I'm putting it off for a little while, gonna come back to it in hopes that it draws me in a little more. I really like half of it the other half seems to be not very impressive. 

This is a band I always feel like I need to check out more.  As a guitarist, I hear a lot about their tones and use of fuzz, the whole stoner rock thing.  One of my favorite pedal companies even makes a Big Muff style fuzz tweaked specifically for this type of music, and references QOTSA as an example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

This is a band I always feel like I need to check out more.  As a guitarist, I hear a lot about their tones and use of fuzz, the whole stoner rock thing.  One of my favorite pedal companies even makes a Big Muff style fuzz tweaked specifically for this type of music, and references QOTSA as an example.

Definitely a unique tone, I always know when a Josh Homme song comes on. if you want suggestions start with one of their first 3 albums. I feel those are the best for first time listeners

• Like 4

Just now, ST3V said:

Definitely a unique tone, I always know when a Josh Homme song comes on. if you want suggestions start with one of their first 3 albums. I feel those are the best for first time listeners

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Thanks for the recommendation.

An alternative, less daunting journey if you don't want to run through the whole discography might be the album from Them Crooked Vultures. It's basically a more virtuosic Queens record because it's got Grohl and John Paul Jones backing up Homme.

https://youtu.be/t7_PQiEIL8c

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

An alternative, less daunting journey if you don't want to run through the whole discography might be the album from Them Crooked Vultures. It's basically a more virtuosic Queens record because it's got Grohl and John Paul Jones backing up Homme.

https://youtu.be/t7_PQiEIL8c

Agree 100%.

I literally just started my first time through In Times New Roman on the ride to work this morning.  It's going to be a while until I form any opinions.

Last week I looked on this forum for a thread like this, to see what Rush listening fans thought, and didn't see one.  I bought it anyway based on other reviews and feedback.  I didn't like Villians much but read this was more like Era Vulgaris and Like Clockwork.  Like Clockwork is an amazing album.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Agree 100%.

I literally just started my first time through In Times New Roman on the ride to work this morning.  It's going to be a while until I form any opinions.

Last week I looked on this forum for a thread like this, to see what Rush listening fans thought, and didn't see one.  I bought it anyway based on other reviews and feedback.  I didn't like Villians much but read this was more like Era Vulgaris and Like Clockwork.  Like Clockwork is an amazing album.

Yeah I don't care for Villains apart from a couple songs.

Like Clockwork is my favorite. That one and Songs for the Deaf are likely their "peaks" by general consensus, but I'm absolutely loving the new album.

• Like 1

The new album is definitely a step up from Villains. The three singles have been stuck in my head for weeks, particularly Emotion Sickness. It'll likely settle around the middle of the road for their discography for me, but that's still a fantastic spot to be given their catalog. 

I prefer Kyuss (John on guitar ).  A fan since early 90s.  

Followed the  splinter bands ... Unida and Slo Burn.  The common thread:  John Garcia, lead singer.

Never a fan of QOTSA

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2