Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

6 hours ago, yyz305 said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/PearlJam-RiotAct.jpg

I love this album. Like Binaural, I used to sort of dismiss it based on its reputation. I owned it, had played it, never took it seriously. 

Then with revisits to the band, I found myself listening more and more to this and Binaural. Now I just love Pearl Jam inside out. 

• Like 1

Friday-Sunday:

Sum 41 - Heaven :x: Hell

Blue Öyster Cult - The Symbol Remains (Vinyl)

The Home Team - Better Off

The Home Team - Slow Bloom (Vinyl)

The Home Team - Black Sheep (EP)

Four Year Strong - Rise Or Die Trying (Vinyl)

Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth 

• Like 1

Alice in Chains-Facelift (10/10)

My fav band of this era.

I LOVE everything about it.  Lyrically dark but who gives a shit, lol

Layne is my fav "grunge" singer too easy.

Mick

• Like 4

In Flames- Lunar Strain

Iced Earth- Iced Earth

Blind Guardian- Battalions Of Fear 

Paradise Lost- Lost Paradise

For whatever reason, I fancied spinning four of my favourite metal debuts.

In Flames- Sounds Of A Playground Fading 

Fantastic! It offers nothing particularly new that the band hadn't already done by this point, yet regardless, this 2011 album is a delight.

Anathema- Weather Systems 

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I love this album. Like Binaural, I used to sort of dismiss it based on its reputation. I owned it, had played it, never took it seriously. 

Then with revisits to the band, I found myself listening more and more to this and Binaural. Now I just love Pearl Jam inside out. 

Looking forward to the new album, out in a few weeks 

27 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Is that with DesBarres?  

Yeah and he's not that great, a little bit out of tune on some songs and no match for Palmer at all. The drummer is a beast though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yyz305 said:

I'm not yet...the singles are fine but I consume PJ mostly via a full album. 

I've finally come around to Gigaton, though its still my least favourite work. No harm in that, someone's gotta love the forgotten gems 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yyz305 said:

me too.  because i think gigaton was their best in a GOOD while.

Can't say i thought the singles were the best.  but we should never judge 2 bitty singles, lol.

I 'm still exited.

Mick

• Like 1

Alice In Chains.

Black Gives Way to Blue (9/10)

God Put Dinosaurs Here (6/10)

Ranier Fog- (9/10)

I haven't played the post Layne albums a ton but i will say they're really good.  they sound like AiC.  BGWTB and Ranier Fog are my 2 favs.

GPDH.....not so much.  Yea they won't beat the original  line up.  but on their own.  pretty damn good.  and it's scary how much you realize jerry and Layne have always sounded like each other, lol.

Mick

• Like 4

Soundgarden

Ultramega OK (7/10)

Louder Than Love (7/10)

i don't know how popular this opinion is but i'm not big on these first two albums.

they're OK.  a bit too punky in spots for me.

i  think the next album is where they found a groove.

Mick

• Like 3

Worked from home today so that gave me a chance to pull some more records out of the moving box's to listen to.  First out:

Uriah Heep - The Best of Uriah Heep

Given that this came out after their first 5 studios albums perhaps the title is not totally accurate.  They have put out a lot of music since.  Then again, most of their best work was on the first 5 albums so I guess the title is accurate.  Overall I liked it - not a shock, I like Uriah Heep - esp. their early work.  Next out fo the moving box:

Whitesnake - Love Hunter

First off, the art on the album cover is excellent.  I really like it.  This is why I prefer records to CD's and CD's to anything else.  Moving on to the album itself well, that not so great.  I believe it came out in 1979 and despite the presence of John Lord on keyboards and David Coverdale on vocals the album sounds like what it is.  A late 1970's heavily blue's influenced hard rock album - and I don't mean any of that in a good way.  But thankfully their is that awesome art work on the album cover.  The songs though are totally forgettable - totally filler for me.  But the album cover makes it with owning.  Obviously I like the cover.  Moving on, next out of the box:

Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Good album.  I enjoy every song on it.  Nothing really great but they are all decent and I never skip anything on it.  Next out of the moving box:

Molly Hatchet - The Deed is Done.

First off, good artwork on the album cover.  The music though, not so great.  This is not Flirting With Disaster.  I remember "Stone In Your Heart" got some airplay and its ok - I guess.  The rest of the album (with one exception) is basically filler.  An occasional riff here or solo there is decent but nothing to go wild about.  The interesting exception was a song I had totally forgotten about.  Its the last song on the albu,m an instrumental titled "Song For The Children".  I won't say its anything very special but it was enjoyable and better than "Stone In Your Heart".  Another album with good cover art that musically is basically a dud.  Last out of the box for the day:

Dio - Holy Diver

This is no dud!!  First off, excellent cover art.  The art on this and The Last in Line gives me creeps but it is good.  As for the music, well its awesome.  An album I never skip a song on.  Rainbow In The Dark is a classic but there are a bunch of other very good songs on the album.  Easily the best album of the day.

• Like 3