Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i think it blows XIV away but that's just me.

XIV has a lot of fat on it going an hour with the bonus track.  this is leaner and punchier IMO.

i enjoy XIV but it's waned slightly over the years.

Mick

It was definitely an album that impacted in the moment. I still like it. This album feels similar and needs more spins, but it's got everything a Toto/Lukather fan desires so it's definitely a winner

• Like 2

Steve Lukather- Bridges

It's good. I don't think it's gonna linger in my memory, it's standard.

Lamb Of God- Wrath

Grateful Dead - RFK Stadium Washington DC 10th June 1973 (9783551) 4 CD Set

We both tested positive for COVID towards the end of last week so we have been stuck in the house all weekend.

So to kill some time I gave this new release of a Dead concert from June 1973 a whirl.

Far out man. :smoke:

Edited by zepphead

Olivia Rodrigo-Sour (10/10)

She is one of the most effortless singers i've heard in a while.  i focused on the backgrund vocals this time.  Her vocal layering is.......SICK.

A lot of pop singers do this but she's masterful at it.

Mick

• Like 3

Taylor Swift-Speak Now Taylor's version.

Oh boy.......how do i say this?  ok....so.......i finally Finished this TODAY.  3 days after release.

Segue is gonna be baffled but......i do not like this re-record........"ducks"

Been putting off writing this cause i love Speak now but this re-record does zero for me.

it's just boring.  sorry.....it just is, lol.  At times she sounds like she's imitating her younger self which i didn't get on the other 2.  She sounds bored at other times.  Speak now worked because of her age at the time.  it's charming and i think stripped of that youth it just falls flat.

So it's by far by least fav re-record so far.  i'm gonna give the CD to my cousin for her birthday.  it was my plan anyway but she can have mine. Ill buy her a New LP version too she loves Record's

again i'm baffled by my reaction too.  so be understanding, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Speak Now Taylor's version.

Oh boy.......how do i say this?  ok....so.......i finally Finished this TODAY.  3 days after release.

Segue is gonna be baffled but......i do not like this re-record........"ducks"

Been putting off writing this cause i love Speak now but this re-record does zero for me.

it's just boring.  sorry.....it just is, lol.  At times she sounds like she's imitating her younger self which i didn't get on the other 2.  She sounds bored at other times.  Speak now worked because of her age at the time.  it's charming and i think stripped of that youth it just falls flat.

So it's by far by least fav re-record so far.  i'm gonna give the CD to my cousin for her birthday.  it was my plan anyway but she can have mine. Ill buy her a New LP version too she loves Record's

again i'm baffled by my reaction too.  so be understanding, lol

Mick

Personally I love the new recordings. They remove the Disney music production and I mostly enjoy her modern voice more.

Exceptions for me are Mean and Story Of Us. I love the bonus material this go around as well.

But there is nothing wrong with the original, her purpose in these is to own her masters. That's all. If you happen to value the new recordings, that's a plus.

Fortunately we get bonus material. That's what I enjoy the most.

• Like 2

Green Day - Dookie (I’m still really not sure why even this record is so hated by some punks anymore. I mean, compared to all the pop punk and emo that followed, this is much much less overtly commercial.)

Minutemen - Paranoid Time (yeah it’s really not an album, it’s seven songs in about as many minutes)

MisterWives - Our Own House (Mick mentioned Olivia Rodrigo’s incredible backing vocals, but I would like to point out another, much lesser known, modern pop singer with incredible backing vocals: Mandy Lee)

Prince - Sign O The Times (it’s never been my favorite of his but it’s probably his deepest, that I’ve listened to anyway)

• Like 1

Triumph - Progressions Of Power (Emmet sounds way less Geddy-esque on his cuts here)

Triumvirate - Spartacus (…I like it… but it may as well be a long lost ELP record from the same period as Trilogy)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Triumph - Progressions Of Power (Emmet sounds way less Geddy-esque on his cuts here)

Triumvirate - Spartacus (…I like it… but it may as well be a long lost ELP record from the same period as Trilogy)

My mother told me she always thought I Live For The Weekend was a Boston song. I can definitely see the similarity in Moore and Delp

• Like 1