Jump to content

Top 20 Two Guitar Bands


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

OK, that was interesting!  There were some bands I never listen to, though, like Avenged Sevenfold.  But it was good to be reminded about Thin Lizzy and Soundgarden.  Liked that they included the Allman Brothers and of course Keef and Ronnie.  

 

I wish he had included  the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, they used to make a big deal out of their "3 guitar army", Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, and either Ed King or Steve Gaines, depending on timeline.  But then I guess he would have had to call it "Best 2 and greater" guitar bands of all time.

 

I would have liked to see Heart included as well.  There are a lot of songs with Ann and Nancy each on guitar; or in the old days, Nancy and Roger Fisher.

 

Thanks for posting!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, blueschica said:

I didn't watch it; I will later today.  Is Lynyrd Skynyrd in there?  People used to make a big thing about their "guitar army".

No they didn't even make it into the honourable mentions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, blueschica said:

I didn't watch it; I will later today.  Is Lynyrd Skynyrd in there?  People used to make a big thing about their "guitar army".

 

3 minutes ago, treeduck said:

No they didn't even make it into the honourable mentions.

 

Probably because they're a three-guitar band. And a legit one at that -- all three get the spotlight.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

Probably because they're a three-guitar band. And a legit one at that -- all three get the spotlight.

No Eagles or Blue Oyster Cult maybe for the same reason.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Other bands that didn't make it, Boston, Wishbone Ash, Queensryche, Testament, Opeth, Stryper. And for Styx freaks them too.

 

Kansas, too. Williams and Livgren each had distinct styles and they made a killer duo.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, treeduck said:

Other bands that didn't make it, Boston, Wishbone Ash, Queensryche, Testament, Opeth, Stryper. And for Styx freaks them too.

I don’t think of Boston as a two guitar band. Sure there were two guitarists in theory, but it’s almost all Tom in the studio on that first record, apart from the lead on Long Time and one of the guitars on Let Me Take You Home Tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

 

Probably because they're a three-guitar band. And a legit one at that -- all three get the spotlight.

  Lol, yes, I actually just finished watching the video and changed my comment. It ws interesting, although if you include a band called Swervedriver, you could find a way to fit in Skynyrd.  :laugh: :laugh: Treeduck had a good catch on Blue Oyster Cult as well.  Still wish he had looked at Heart.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, I know The Beatles count, but with nearly everyone in that band being a multi-instrumentalist to some degree (especially Paul who also played guitar on a number of Beatles songs), they don’t feel like a “two guitar band” in the strictest sense of the term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

Kansas, too. Williams and Livgren each had distinct styles and they made a killer duo.

Oooh, good catch on Kansas!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Also, I know The Beatles count, but with nearly everyone in that band being a multi-instrumentalist to some degree (especially Paul who also played guitar on a number of Beatles songs), they don’t feel like a “two guitar band” in the strictest sense of the term.

Why is that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Other bands that didn't make it, Boston, Wishbone Ash, Queensryche, Testament, Opeth, Stryper. And for Styx freaks them too.

Yes JY and Tommy are an amazing duo. Yes I'm a little biased considering Styx is my #1. Yes I'm quite the freak.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the list, and my opinion on whether they deserved inclusion.

 

20. Scorpions :no: (should be honorable mention)

19. Animals as Leaders :yes: (hell yes, and should be higher)

18. Alter Bridge :no:

17. Thin Lizzy :yes:

16. Avenged Sevenfold :no:

15. Def Leppard :yes:

14. Night Ranger :yes:

13. Soundgarden :no: (love the band but they don't need to be here...maybe an honorable mention) )

12. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers :no: (love the band but they don't need to be here)

11. Pearl Jam :yes:

10. Megadeth :no: (good guitarists but they don't need to be here)

9. Iron Maiden :yes: (should be higher)

8. Metallica :yes: (should be higher)

7. Judas Priest :yes: (should be higher)

6. Guns n' Roses :no: (should be honorable mention)

5. Allman Bros. :yes:

4. The Beatles :yes:

3. Aerosmith :yes:

2. Rolling Stones :yes:

1. AC/DC :yes:

 

Honorable Mentions:

Swervedriver :confused:

Black Crowes :no:

Polyphia :no: (don't deserve a mention because they're so new, but they're amazing)

Mastodon :yes: (should be in top 20)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Why is that?

I just explained why is that in my post, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Here's the list, and my opinion on whether they deserved inclusion.

 

20. Scorpions :no: (should be honorable mention)

19. Animals as Leaders :yes: (hell yes)

18. Alter Bridge :no:

17. Thin Lizzy :yes:

16. Avenged Sevenfold :no:

15. Def Leppard :yes:

14. Night Ranger :yes:

13. Soundgarden :no: (love the band but they don't need to be here...maybe an honorable mention) )

12. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers :no: (love the band but they don't need to be here)

11. Pearl Jam :yes:

10. Megadeth :no: (good guitarists but they don't need to be here)

9. Iron Maiden :yes: (should be higher)

8. Metallica :yes: (should be higher)

7. Judas Priest :yes: (should be higher)

6. Guns n' Roses :no: (should be honorable mention)

5. Allman Bros. :yes:

4. The Beatles :yes:

3. Aerosmith :yes:

2. Rolling Stones :yes:

1. AC/DC :yes:

 

Honorable Mentions:

Swervedriver :confused:

Black Crowes :no:

Polyphia :no: (don't deserve a mention because they're so new, but they're amazing)

Mastodon :yes: (should be in top 20)

Between the buried also has two high quality guitarists.

 

Interesting list. The Grateful Dead should be on the list. And near the top IMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I just explained why is that in my post, lol.

You just said "they don't feel like a two guitar band", what does that mean exactly? It's not an explanation. They don't play guitar on every song but there's many songs where there are two guitars and that's how they cut their teeth and what they're are mostly known for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

You just said "they don't feel like a two guitar band", what does that mean exactly? It's not an explanation. They don't play guitar on every song but there's many songs where there are two guitars and that's how they cut their teeth and what they're are mostly known for.

I’ll repeat the part you seem to have missed. “with nearly everyone in the band being a multi-instrumentalist to some degree (especially Paul who also played guitar on a number of Beatles songs)…” That was me explaining why they don’t feel like a two guitar band. Or to reword it: I don’t think of John primarily as a guitarist, I don’t think of Paul primarily as a bass player, and there are plenty of tracks where George is playing sitar rather than guitar, which is not at all the same thing as a guitar. Sure there are a bunch of early tunes where they mostly stick to the 2 guitar 1 bass 1 drum set format, but I don’t think of that format primarily when I think of The Beatles. I think of four multi-talented musicians who aren’t tied down to any one instrument. They don’t feel like a strictly two guitar band.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ll repeat the part you seem to have missed. “with nearly everyone in the band being a multi-instrumentalist to some degree (especially Paul who also played guitar on a number of Beatles songs)…” That was me explaining why they don’t feel like a two guitar band. Or to reword it: I don’t think of John primarily as a guitarist, I don’t think of Paul primarily as a bass player, and there are plenty of tracks where George is playing sitar rather than guitar, which is not at all the same thing as a guitar. Sure there are a bunch of early tunes where they mostly stick to the 2 guitar 1 bass 1 drum set format, but I don’t think of that format primarily when I think of The Beatles. I think of four multi-talented musicians who aren’t tied down to any one instrument. They don’t feel like a strictly two guitar band.

Well that's your take anyway, not many other people are saying this though, in fact no one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, treeduck said:

Well that's your take anyway, not many other people are saying this though, in fact no one.

Am I supposed to feel bad about my opinion because no one else shares it? Also, like, there’s not an insignificant chance someone hops in this thread later and says “no actually I agree with EP!” The thread hasn’t been up for very long yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Am I supposed to feel bad about my opinion because no one else shares it? Also, like, there’s not an insignificant chance someone hops in this thread later and says “no actually I agree with EP!” The thread hasn’t been up for very long yet.

I never mentioned feeling good or bad, this must be what you're thinking about. Do you feel bad?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I never mentioned feeling good or bad, this must be what you're thinking about. Do you feel bad?

 

I feel just a little annoyed.  You seemed to be arguing that my take was irrelevant because it was just my opinion.  Forums are about sharing opinions though, which is why I shared mine.  Maybe I've just misinterpreted your tone.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

 

I feel just a little annoyed.  You seemed to be arguing that my take was irrelevant because it was just my opinion.  Forums are about sharing opinions though, which is why I shared mine.  Maybe I've just misinterpreted your tone.  

 

Don't worry no big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wishbone Ash - One of the earliest and best twin lead bands of all time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...