Top 20 Two Guitar Bands

treeduck

1 hour ago, tangy said:

Interesting list. The Grateful Dead should be on the list. And near the top IMO

The Dead might be the most glaring omission. I get that they're not everybody's cup of tea but Garcia was a sophisticated improvisor and Weir was a highly refined rhythm player.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

Give us your personal top 20 two guitar bands!

In the order they came into my head -

Wishbone Ash

Thin Lizzy

Blue Oyster Cult

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The Outlaws

The Eagles

Scorpions

Allman Bros

Kansas

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Pentangle (twin acoustic!)

Television

Yardbirds

Derek & The Dominos

Doobie Bros

........ there are more but I am running out of steam!

For me, the first band who made a real impression on me regarding twin lead guitars was Wishbone Ash who I began listening to in '72. They will probably always be my favourites.

Around that time, the other big act with twin leads was the Allman Bros ..... but I didn't really start listening to them until around '74. 

Thin Lizzy only unleashed the twin lead sound in '74 with the Nightlife release.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, zepphead said:

In the order they came into my head -

Wishbone Ash

Thin Lizzy

Blue Oyster Cult

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The Outlaws

The Eagles

Scorpions

Allman Bros

Kansas

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Pentangle (twin acoustic!)

Television

Yardbirds

Derek & The Dominos

Doobie Bros

........ there are more but I am running out of steam!

For me, the first band who made a real impression on me regarding twin lead guitars was Wishbone Ash who I began listening to in '72. They will probably always be my favourites.

Around that time, the other big act with twin leads was the Allman Bros ..... but I didn't really start listening to them until around '74. 

Thin Lizzy only unleashed the twin lead sound in '74 with the Nightlife release.

What about DIO, they had Vivian Campbell and that little midget who was employed by Ozzy to harrass Dio while playing the banjo in the key of f#??? :soapbox:

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Probably because they're a three-guitar band. And a legit one at that -- all three get the spotlight.

April Wine is another

On 5/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Also, I know The Beatles count, but with nearly everyone in that band being a multi-instrumentalist to some degree (especially Paul who also played guitar on a number of Beatles songs), they don’t feel like a “two guitar band” in the strictest sense of the term.

I disagree with you for a different reason.   I often hear people argue that The Beatles were great songwriters and singers, but not great musicians.  I think John and especially George are underappreciated as guitar players.

• Like 1

My list would be:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Judas Priest

3. In Flames 

4. Thin Lizzy 

8 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I disagree with you for a different reason.   I often hear people argue that The Beatles were great songwriters and singers, but not great musicians.  I think John and especially George are underappreciated as guitar players.

I think George is a better guitarist than John. More interesting and unique style, if not a little more technical as well. They’re both great musicians, I just don’t think of John especially as tied to the guitar any more than the piano or the microphone (or tapes in the studio).