The Warning

EP, I don't know if you heard the two new songs from them that they performed in Mexico yet but supposedly Dan Lancaster the touring keyboardist for Muse co-wrote Hell You Call A Dream with them. Anyways, here's a good sounding version from the show in Mexico City last week.

I watched the show from the Pepsi Center last night and waited till tonight to comment on it.

Wow!!  Highlights for me was Back Holes and Breathe.  Pau's expression about 1:30 into Black Holes when she stopped singing and the crowed just picked up the song for her was priceless.  You could tell she was in tears by the end of that song but Breathe (which as I understand it had never been played live b4 and was added to the album at the last second as the record company wanted something more tacked onto the album) totally reduced her to tears.  Watched several versions of those songs and it so emotional.  Awesome.

Other Highlights (and frankly there are a ton of them) would include Dany's solo / acoustic version of When I'am Alone and the group playing XXI Century Blood.  I really like that song so it was good to see it played live.

Things that did not thrill me?  Hmmm, Enter Sandman.  I have beat that one to death in prior posts so I won't say more there.

Speaking of More, that would be another things that did not thrill me.  Nor did Hell You Call A Dream.  Sick was better than the other version I have heard.  Some of the music appealed - somewhat.  So perhaps its growing on me.  The light show did not thrill me, as I get older I get picky with my light shows at concert.  

But overall it was an awesome show.  Just fabulous.

BTW - adding the string ensemble was a move that took guts but it worked.  I get real twitchy when bands add string ensembles, most of the time it does not really add much of anything or it outright detracts from the songs.  When Rush tried it on the CA tour I was like ok, thats nice.  But can we get them off the stage and get back to the Rush concert?  It really added nothing.  But here, with Black Holes, it really added to the song.  Very well done.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, J2112YYZ said:

EP, I don't know if you heard the two new songs from them that they performed in Mexico yet but supposedly Dan Lancaster the touring keyboardist for Muse co-wrote Hell You Call A Dream with them. Anyways, here's a good sounding version from the show in Mexico City last week.

I did, I’ve just been real busy lately. Good songs, awesome for them getting a co-write with Muse’s touring guy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I watched the show from the Pepsi Center last night and waited till tonight to comment on it.

Wow!!  Highlights for me was Back Holes and Breathe.  Pau's expression about 1:30 into Black Holes when she stopped singing and the crowed just picked up the song for her was priceless.  You could tell she was in tears by the end of that song but Breathe (which as I understand it had never been played live b4 and was added to the album at the last second as the record company wanted something more tacked onto the album) totally reduced her to tears.  Watched several versions of those songs and it so emotional.  Awesome.

Other Highlights (and frankly there are a ton of them) would include Dany's solo / acoustic version of When I'am Alone and the group playing XXI Century Blood.  I really like that song so it was good to see it played live.

Things that did not thrill me?  Hmmm, Enter Sandman.  I have beat that one to death in prior posts so I won't say more there.

Speaking of More, that would be another things that did not thrill me.  Nor did Hell You Call A Dream.  Sick was better than the other version I have heard.  Some of the music appealed - somewhat.  So perhaps its growing on me.  The light show did not thrill me, as I get older I get picky with my light shows at concert.  

But overall it was an awesome show.  Just fabulous.

BTW - adding the string ensemble was a move that took guts but it worked.  I get real twitchy when bands add string ensembles, most of the time it does not really add much of anything or it outright detracts from the songs.  When Rush tried it on the CA tour I was like ok, thats nice.  But can we get them off the stage and get back to the Rush concert?  It really added nothing.  But here, with Black Holes, it really added to the song.  Very well done.

It's so endearing their reactions when people are singing along to their songs. They're so young and still can't believe it when that happens. Did you see When I'm Alone from Monterrey? In the middle of the song the crowd started chanting "Dany, Dany" she started crying and had to stop playing the song for a minute. The string section worked well with both songs I felt. With Black Holes I think it's pretty easy to add them since it's a slower piano based song. They incorporated them well into Sandman. Metallica has released a live album with a symphony so maybe that's how they got the idea. The Warning's version is a slower and more haunting so I think the orchestra fit well with their version.

Pau once said that she would never play Breathe live because of how personal the song is. I guess she felt she could do it once for the special show. I'm guessing since she had the piano for the show she figured why not? It's not like they're going to be lugging that around with them on tour any time soon. They don't have the crew size or budget for that yet.

I'm not sure what's going on with you and Hell You Call A Dream but you're the only person I know of who doesn't like it. Pretty much everyone else thinks it's a great song and can't wait for it to be released. The band had a link to "pre-save new music" on their Instagram after the Guadalajara show but they made no mention of it again until today when they put the same link up on Instagram. So, I think HYCAD and Sick might be out on Friday.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I did, I’ve just been real busy lately. Good songs, awesome for them getting a co-write with Muse’s touring guy!

I was looking him up and he's worked with a good amount of bands already. Some fans have complained that they don't like that The Warning were working with outside writers this time around. Yet nobody seemed to mind that Crimson Queen, Choke, Evolve, Error and 23 all had outside writing credits. I think now that they're getting more popular some fans are looking for something to bitch about instead of accepting the fact that they're not this unknown band that only you know about anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I was looking him up and he's worked with a good amount of bands already. Some fans have complained that they don't like that The Warning were working with outside writers this time around. Yet nobody seemed to mind that Crimson Queen, Choke, Evolve, Error and 23 all had outside writing credits. I think now that they're getting more popular some fans are looking for something to bitch about instead of accepting the fact that they're not this unknown band that only you know about anymore.

That’s the way it goes. I don’t care if they work with outside writers as long as the results are good. Aerosmith working with Desmond Child in the 80s was one of the best decisions that band ever made. Just as an example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That’s the way it goes. I don’t care if they work with outside writers as long as the results are good. Aerosmith working with Desmond Child in the 80s was one of the best decisions that band ever made. Just as an example.

Rush's biggest hit also had an outside writer.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:34 PM, J2112YYZ said:

It's so endearing their reactions when people are singing along to their songs. They're so young and still can't believe it when that happens. Did you see When I'm Alone from Monterrey? In the middle of the song the crowd started chanting "Dany, Dany" she started crying and had to stop playing the song for a minute. The string section worked well with both songs I felt. With Black Holes I think it's pretty easy to add them since it's a slower piano based song. They incorporated them well into Sandman. Metallica has released a live album with a symphony so maybe that's how they got the idea. The Warning's version is a slower and more haunting so I think the orchestra fit well with their version.

Pau once said that she would never play Breathe live because of how personal the song is. I guess she felt she could do it once for the special show. I'm guessing since she had the piano for the show she figured why not? It's not like they're going to be lugging that around with them on tour any time soon. They don't have the crew size or budget for that yet.

I'm not sure what's going on with you and Hell You Call A Dream but you're the only person I know of who doesn't like it. Pretty much everyone else thinks it's a great song and can't wait for it to be released. The band had a link to "pre-save new music" on their Instagram after the Guadalajara show but they made no mention of it again until today when they put the same link up on Instagram. So, I think HYCAD and Sick might be out on Friday.

I did not watch the Monterrey show - will check that out.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Not certain whats going on with me and HYCAD either.  But so far not thrilled.  Perhaps over time....

I had been away on business most of this week and while I was waiting in Penn Station for my train to return home I ran into a guy with a Nightwish T--shirt.  We got talking about bands as I also like Nightwish - my second favorite band behind Rush.  Turned out he saw Nightwish twice (lucky guy - I have only seen them once).  I mentioned Unleash The Archers to him, which he said he would check out.  Then I mentioned The Warning.  He was like "Yeah, the band with the 3 sisters from Mexico?!  Their really good.  Not Nightwish.  Not Within Temptation.  Not Epica. Not Kamelot.  Not Delain. But really good.  Right behind them".  Guess thats high praise for The Warning in his book.  I would rank The Warning ahead of all of those bands except Nightwish.  But still, good to get talking to somebody else who actually had heard of them and liked them.  Even better since it was at random in NYC.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I did not watch the Monterrey show - will check that out.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Not certain whats going on with me and HYCAD either.  But so far not thrilled.  Perhaps over time....

I had been away on business most of this week and while I was waiting in Penn Station for my train to return home I ran into a guy with a Nightwish T--shirt.  We got talking about bands as I also like Nightwish - my second favorite band behind Rush.  Turned out he saw Nightwish twice (lucky guy - I have only seen them once).  I mentioned Unleash The Archers to him, which he said he would check out.  Then I mentioned The Warning.  He was like "Yeah, the band with the 3 sisters from Mexico?!  Their really good.  Not Nightwish.  Not Within Temptation.  Not Epica. Not Kamelot.  Not Delain. But really good.  Right behind them".  Guess thats high praise for The Warning in his book.  I would rank The Warning ahead of all of those bands except Nightwish.  But still, good to get talking to somebody else who actually had heard of them and liked them.  Even better since it was at random in NYC.  

It's kind of strange for him to mention all those bands along with The Warning since they aren't anywhere near the same style. But yes, if he's holding them close to the same place as bands like Nightwish and Epica who are far more in depth and complex with their songwriting that is pretty high praise. Delain I always thought was paint by numbers symphonic metal. They offer nothing new to the genre and just go with the basics of the genre that bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation set the template for. Still, it's cool that he's heard about them. The Warning have grown a lot in the last year and a half. It's a steady organic growth that is driven by the undying hard work of the band, their team and the fans being as devoted as any fan base I have ever seen. They're not relying on big hits. Choke, Money and More have been decent sized hits for them but not massive in any way. So, it's just a lot of natural, word of mouth growth that has gotten them to where they are. So the fact that someone who is mainly a symphonic/power metal fan has heard of them says a lot about how their growth is reaching others that normally don't regularly listen to hard rock.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, J2112YYZ said:

EP, you should enjoy this because it's about musical stuff. Everyone else will enjoy it because it's Dany.

The bit about sending the signal from her pedalboard straight to the PA but also sending another signal through her big amp behind her so she can feel the guitar fascinates me. Not an option I’d ever considered.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The bit about sending the signal from her pedalboard straight to the PA but also sending another signal through her big amp behind her so she can feel the guitar fascinates me. Not an option I’d ever considered.

So, you've never heard another guitar player mention anything like that before? I wonder if it's something unique that she does. Did you watch the ones with Ale and Pau yet?

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

So, you've never heard another guitar player mention anything like that before? I wonder if it's something unique that she does. Did you watch the ones with Ale and Pau yet?

I bet it’s something other players do, I just never thought about it. I haven’t watched the others. Can you send them again?

41 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I bet it’s something other players do, I just never thought about it. I haven’t watched the others. Can you send them again?

Just scroll up a few posts.