THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

3 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for a while and finally decided to put some effort toward finding something. I wanted a small-mid sized hybrid SUV. I've done lots of reading, researching, reviewing, etc and decided I was going with an awd Kia Sportage for various reasons. The problem was, the 2 colors I was interested in are in short supply and the next one scheduled in was the first week of April but I decided I'd wait. 

In the mean time I've been looking at all electric vehicles and the one's the are awd are pretty expensive and if they aren't mostly made in the US there's no more $7500 tax incentive. Yesterday I looked at Tesla (I'd overlooked them) and saw that they have a Model Y that's a mid size SUV and with the tax incentive is in my price range. Then I found one in the color I wanted that has a $2500 "price adjustment" (reduction) so in addition to the tax break makes it much more appealing the only issue is it's about 2 hours away but I'm willing to drive that to save that kind of dough.

Throw in my vehicle as a trade in and it's even better yet. Going to talk to them tomorrow to ensure it's still available and if so, heading up there on Wednesday. I test drove one today and really liked it except there will be a learning curve with so much of the controls centered on the touch screen. Pretty good acceleration too (long range model).

Yes, a Model Y with full tax credit is a stellar deal for what you get. And being on the Tesla charger network is the easiest way to quell any irrational charging fears you may or may not have. If that one vehicle ends up now unavailable, you could consider placing an order. They come relatively quick. 

EVs are a reliability improvement compared to modern hyper complex ICE hybrids. The only hybrids I would consider reliable enough for my standards are those made by Toyota or Honda. 

Enjoy drivin for like $0.03/mile if you get that Tesla. Drive it 150k miles and it should still be worth like half what you paid for it. 

Edited by That One Guy

I take it as a personal insult and get my feelings hurt when someone knows I have mass car wisdom and doesn’t solicit me for buying advice 

Just last week, my realtor told me they’re expecting a third child and wanted advice on what to go check out. Won’t consider minivans. They had been looking at $70k Sequoias. They already have a 2023 4Runner as the second car (which I helped them buy lol). I told them to save $25k and check out the Honda Pilot, or the other Jap 3-row SUVs if they end up not liking that. Pointlessly buying truck-based SUVs is incredibly expensive. 

Edited by That One Guy

12 minutes ago, goose said:

You know how I know you're gay...?

Because I don’t idolize moving to Eureka, Nevada?

Most people agree that the coast rocks. Some people arbitrarily disqualify the California coast because of memes, but that’s ok. I like Oregon a lot but I think it’s a little too north for me to love long term. 

Even though I’ve never really been to Arizona or New Mexico, I would probably like it in plenty of their areas. Or Colorado, that state is so goddamned great. 

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Because I don’t idolize moving to Eureka, Nevada?

Most people agree that the coast rocks. 

9/10 Miata lovers :poke:

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I take it as a personal insult and get my feelings hurt when someone knows I have mass car wisdom and doesn’t solicit me for buying advice 

Just out of curiosity, how did you acquire your "mass car wisdom"? I'm one of those people who research almost anything I buy to ensure I'm getting the best deal for my money. The running joke in our house is I even read up on toasters before buying one. 

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Just out of curiosity, how did you acquire your "mass car wisdom"? I'm one of those people who research almost anything I buy to ensure I'm getting the best deal for my money. The running joke in our house is I even read up on toasters before buying one. 

Years of wasting my time nerding about cars. It is not efficient or useful knowledge to have. I just like cars. I keep up on car news, even on many boring generic vehicles. I've found EVs very interesting, and my girlfriend works in the EV space as well, so we talk about it a lot.

I do that too. New countertop appliance? Definitely researching. Tires? Oh man, that's two weeks of research beforehand.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for a while and finally decided to put some effort toward finding something. I wanted a small-mid sized hybrid SUV. I've done lots of reading, researching, reviewing, etc and decided I was going with an awd Kia Sportage for various reasons. The problem was, the 2 colors I was interested in are in short supply and the next one scheduled in was the first week of April but I decided I'd wait. 

In the mean time I've been looking at all electric vehicles and the one's the are awd are pretty expensive and if they aren't mostly made in the US there's no more $7500 tax incentive. Yesterday I looked at Tesla (I'd overlooked them) and saw that they have a Model Y that's a mid size SUV and with the tax incentive is in my price range. Then I found one in the color I wanted that has a $2500 "price adjustment" (reduction) so in addition to the tax break makes it much more appealing the only issue is it's about 2 hours away but I'm willing to drive that to save that kind of dough.

Throw in my vehicle as a trade in and it's even better yet. Going to talk to them tomorrow to ensure it's still available and if so, heading up there on Wednesday. I test drove one today and really liked it except there will be a learning curve with so much of the controls centered on the touch screen. Pretty good acceleration too (long range model).

Forget all that jazz. Get your self one of these for like $18K.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1101647/1978-pontiac-grand-prix/

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Gotta show that displacement loud and proud while not mentioning the horsepower, don't want to realize you're making power levels typical of a 80's Honda 2.0L

C'mon man, let those Malaise era cars be put out to pasture rather than getting others in on it

Edited by That One Guy

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

That's a nice looking ride but I'll pass.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Gotta show that displacement loud and proud while not mentioning the horsepower, don't want to realize you're making power levels typical of a 80's Honda 2.0L

C'mon man, let those Malaise era cars be put out to pasture rather than getting others in on it

Rated at 140 or 150 hp depending on the carb. The Kia Sportage makes 187 with half as many cubic inches. 

Do we still have member titles? Am I still The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST?

• Like 1

I haven't listened to Budgie in a minute. I got my boyfriend into them.

31 minutes ago, jamie said:

the music in The Sims 3 is kinda gay

Meanwhile, the Sims 1 build mode music f***in' slays. They didn't have to go this hard for us, but they did.

• Like 1

been sleeping 4-6 hrs per night for the past couple weeks now and on weekends, when i usually get catch up rest, i've still only been getting 6-8 hrs instead of the usual 10.

the bags under my eyes aren't the prettiest and i feel like what i imagine it feels like to be a 45 y/o... or maybe even a 55 y/o.. or maybe even 65... wow... i'm 65 years old already, imagine that.