Top 10 British Sitcoms of all time

treeduck

Any love for 'And Mother Makes Three / Five'? Or at least for Wendy Craig. :drool: I don't like sit-coms involving children, but these two didn't bother me.

I liked her in Butterflies, with another early appearance from "Rodney" Nicholas Lyndhurst as her son. Much better than the character he had in Going Straight.

Your top two shows and Going Straight featured Richard Beckinsale. As I watched those series, I was looking up some of the actors on wikipedia. I was shocked to learn that Richard died at the age of 31, and was the father of Kate Beckinsale of Underworld film series.
  • Like 2

Any love for 'And Mother Makes Three / Five'? Or at least for Wendy Craig. :drool: I don't like sit-coms involving children, but these two didn't bother me.

I liked her in Butterflies, with another early appearance from "Rodney" Nicholas Lyndhurst as her son. Much better than the character he had in Going Straight.

Your top two shows and Going Straight featured Richard Beckinsale. As I watched those series, I was looking up some of the actors on wikipedia. I was shocked to learn that Richard died at the age of 31, and was the father of Kate Beckinsale of Underworld film series.

Yeah in 1979, soon after filming of the Porridge movie was completed. Very young to die of a heart attack.

And so for the Rising Damp movie in 1980 they replaced Richard with Christopher Strauli who went on to star in the #4 on my list Only When I Laugh with James Bolam, Peter Bowles and Richard Wilson.

I loved the hospital setting. I binged watched that series and was over with it in no time. Great acting.
  • Like 1

And so for the Rising Damp movie in 1980 they replaced Richard with Christopher Strauli who went on to star in the #4 on my list Only When I Laugh with James Bolam, Peter Bowles and Richard Wilson.

I loved the hospital setting. I binged watched that series and was over with it in no time. Great acting.

Yeah each character was great, three different styles of malingerers, a shifty doctor with dodgy ethics, and an incompetent, oddball nurse.

• Like 2

Yeah each character was great, three different styles of malingerers, a shifty doctor with dodgy ethics, and an incompetent, oddball nurse.

How about another Peter Bowles series 'To the Manor Born'? It seems he liked portraying more sophisticated characters.
  • Like 2

How about another Peter Bowles series 'To the Manor Born'? It seems he liked portraying more sophisticated characters.

Yeah and also the Bounder, it seemed to be his forte. He also good as a guest star in the late 60's and 70's, in shows like the Saint, the Avengers, the Protectors, Danger Man, The Baron, The Prisoner, The Persuaders, Department S, Special Branch, Rising Damp, Space 1999, Tales of the Unexpected and many more.

• Like 2

I`ll go as far as to say I strongly dislike children featuring on any kind of show (or anywhere in my world, come to think of it). Hence my love for Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, and with US shows, the mighty Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Curb, Frasier. Kids are only in them to get hit :smash: But the best thing of all is when there is no laughter track. I don`t need to be told when I should laugh :tsk:
  • Like 2

I`ll go as far as to say I strongly dislike children featuring on any kind of show (or anywhere in my world, come to think of it). Hence my love for Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, and with US shows, the mighty Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Curb, Frasier. Kids are only in them to get hit :smash: But the best thing of all is when there is no laughter track. I don`t need to be told when I should laugh :tsk:

One thing that aids a comedy is a live audience. It supports the timing and makes for a natural feel, in performance. Reminded of Fools and Horses where the characters often wait for the laughing to stop, it's quite dramatic at times. Its nemesis is the canned laughter track. I'd rather have nothing than canned laughter. Canned laughter ruins comedic effect and enjoyment IMO.

The lack of love for Are You Being Served is a travesty!

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

The writing for those show was a bit weak. Peaked with Dad's made a sort of return with Hi De Hi}Allo , then fizzled out.

• Like 1

Ever Decreasing Circles could possibly make my top 10. Though it was more a play type study than guffaw, all out comedy.

I never really got into that one, I preferred Richard Briers' other one, The Good Life.

Ever Decreasing Circles could possibly make my top 10. Though it was more a play type study than guffaw, all out comedy.

I never really got into that one, I preferred Richard Briers' other one, The Good Life.

• Like 1

The Open All Hours Maiden, got me thinking. How many 'metal' t shirts did Vivian wear?

I recall Whitesnake, Rush! Saxon and Motorhead, Kiss. Were there more? Must have been. Exploited featured maybe.

Yeah he was definitely a metal guy.

I liked Bowles in the Irish RM - a nice gentle humour and coming from this part of the world I could really appreciate it!

But perhaps not so much a sit-com as a comedy-drama.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

I liked Bowles in the Irish RM - a nice gentle humour and coming from this part of the world I could really appreciate it!

He's best in Only When I Laugh, The Bounder and the guest role in Rising Damp.

• Like 2

He's best in Only When I Laugh, The Bounder and the guest role in Rising Damp.

Always the 'smoothie' character
  • Like 1