Top 10 British Sitcoms of all time

treeduck

I have never heard of any of these shows besides Steptoe and Son. I am also not British, so that would likely explain why.

Did you see Steptoe and Son?

No.

The only reason I heard of it is because the 70s American sitcom Sanford and Son was based on it.

I have never heard of any of these shows besides Steptoe and Son. I am also not British, so that would likely explain why.

Did you see Steptoe and Son?

No.

The only reason I heard of it is because the 70s American sitcom Sanford and Son was based on it.

Do you like British humour, say Monty Python and stuff like that?

The lack of love for Are You Being Served is a travesty!

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

A lot of these shows would never be broadcast now in our politically correct utopia!

Yeah they didn't even like GUPTE the nurse in Only When I Laugh even back in 1982. He didn't appear in the final episodes at all. They didn't like that an Indian man was portrayed as bumbling and stupid.

I think the BBC censors had a go at Fawlty Towers a few years ago with The Germans episode.

Yeah I heard about that.

With Gupte it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was Welsh, Irish or French-Moroccan, he was just a funny character.

Yeah but the PC brigade can't see that! They've all had humour bypass surgery!

An interesting bit of trivia about the actor who played Gupte, Derrick Branche, he went to school with Freddie Mercury in Mumbai from 1958 to 1962, and he was the guitarist in Freddie's first band the Hectics.

• Like 3

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

A lot of these shows would never be broadcast now in our politically correct utopia!

Yeah they didn't even like GUPTE the nurse in Only When I Laugh even back in 1982. He didn't appear in the final episodes at all. They didn't like that an Indian man was portrayed as bumbling and stupid.

I think the BBC censors had a go at Fawlty Towers a few years ago with The Germans episode.

Yeah I heard about that.

With Gupte it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was Welsh, Irish or French-Moroccan, he was just a funny character.

Yeah but the PC brigade can't see that! They've all had humour bypass surgery!

An interesting bit of trivia about the actor who played Gupte, Derrick Branche, he went to school with Freddie Mercury in Mumbai from 1958 to 1962, and he was the guitarist in Freddie's first band the Hectics.

What a tremendous claim to fame!!!! I had never heard that.
  • Like 1

In no particular order other than Blackadder:

Blackadder

Red Dwarf

The League Of Gentlemen

Porridge

Only Fools And Horses

Bottom

Fawlty Towers

Phoenix Nights

I’m Alan Partridge

The Royle Family

Bubbling Under; The Office, The Young Ones, Dinnerladies, The Inbetweeners, Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted, Gimme Gimme, Outnumbered and Rising Damp.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 3

Yes Minister Yes Prime Minister

Rab C Nesbitt!!!!

Blackadder

Fools And Horses

Bottom

Porridge

I'm Alan Partridge.....Aha!

Red Dwarf

Open All Hours

Rising Damp - Rigsby : )

The Young Ones, Hancock's Half Hour, The Office, Nathan Barley, Reginald Perrin, Sorry, Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd.Just Good Friends, Dear John.

• Like 2

Apart from the ones mentioned already, I will throw a few more into the mix (more obscure ones):

Chelmsford 123

Black Books

Moone Boy

Nightingales

Zapped

Filthy, Rich & Catflap

Hyperdrive

Plebs

Friday Night Dinner

IT Crowd

• Like 1

Are you insane? I watched every episode of those five shows and loved it...perhaps I'm insane. :unsure:

Just thinking of old sitcoms, a couple of others I liked were Father Ted and The Brittas Empire.

Father Ted was really good. It's such a sad story about Dermot Morgan dying right after finishing season three. :rose:
  • Like 2

Are you insane? I watched every episode of those five shows and loved it...perhaps I'm insane. :unsure:

Well no you just like that kind of daft humour. I remember when I first saw Hi-De-Hi, it didn't make me laugh it made me feel down in the dumps. The only one that was funny was the old punch and judy guy. The "comedian" guy was not only unfunny he was like a total amateur, the manager guy was dull, the understudy comedian was as bad as you'd expect and the rest of them I can't even remember apart from Peggy and the Welsh tart. I suppose Peggy was entertaining but even she seemed as desperate as the writers seemed to be.

• Like 2

Well no you just like that kind of daft humour. I remember when I first saw Hi-De-Hi, it didn't make me laugh it made me feel down in the dumps. The only one that was funny was the old punch and judy guy. The "comedian" guy was not only unfunny he was like a total amateur, the manager guy was dull, the understudy comedian was as bad as you'd expect and the rest of them I can't even remember apart from Peggy and the Welsh tart. I suppose Peggy was entertaining but even she seemed as desperate as the writers seemed to be.

I like your list so we can't be that far apart. I can't wait to hear your review of Allo Allo. Since you have that show listed after Hi-De-HI, I assume you think it was even worse?
  • Like 3

I like your list so we can't be that far apart. I can't wait to hear your review of Allo Allo. Since you have that show listed after Hi-De-HI, I assume you think it was even worse?

I thought that was a little better actually, I prefer the WWII scenario, and I think Gordon Kaye is pretty good. The hot girls kind of made me overlook the cliche cloak and dagger stuff, but I just couldn't get into it with the deliberately bad French accents (ripping off Peter Sellers) etc.

• Like 2

I thought that was a little better actually, I prefer the WWII scenario, and I think Gordon Kaye is pretty good. The hot girls kind of made me overlook the cliche cloak and dagger stuff, but I just couldn't get into it with the deliberately bad French accents (ripping off Peter Sellers) etc.

I knew the flying helmet in the wet celery would get to you. :blush:
  • Like 1

It Ain't Half Hot Mum was the kind of Dad's Army II, with a concert party team this time instead of a geriatric band of Home Guard soldiers. The main joke throughout the show was the Welsh Sgt. Major's reaction to a couple of his men, Lofty and Mr La-De-Dah Gunner Graham. Of course there's no way they'll ever broadcast this show again on TV because of Michael Bates playing an Indian bearer in blackface.

• Like 1

It Ain't Half Hot Mum was the kind of Dad's Army II, with a concert party team this time instead of a geriatric band of Home Guard soldiers. The main joke throughout the show was the Welsh Sgt. Major's reaction to a couple of his men, Lofty and Mr La-De-Dah Gunner Graham. Of course there's no way they'll ever broadcast this show again on TV because of Michael Bates playing an Indian bearer in blackface.

That reminds me of Dino Shafeek, who was in a show not mentioned yet, Mind Your Language.

That reminds me of Dino Shafeek, who was in a show not mentioned yet, Mind Your Language.

One interesting thing about Bates he was actually born in India, but not actually Indian.

• Like 1

One interesting thing about Bates he was actually born in India, but not actually Indian.

And a strong Conservative. That's probably not very popular around here, so let's move on to another show I liked "Don't Drink the Water." :spitwater:

And a strong Conservative. That's probably not very popular around here, so let's move on to another show I liked "Don't Drink the Water." :spitwater:

Yeah he did another show around that time, Last of the Summer Wine. Peter Sallis apparently described him as a little to the right of Margaret Thatcher, but his co-star Bill Owen was the complete opposite and they often had a hard time getting on well enough to film the show.

• Like 2

Yeah he did another show around that time, Last of the Summer Wine. Peter Sallis apparently described him as a little to the right of Margaret Thatcher, but his co-star Bill Owen was the complete opposite and they often had a hard time getting on well enough to film the show.

Americans were more vicious by presenting Dwight Schultz ( Star Trek: The Next Generation ) and Larry Linville ( M*A*S*H ) as idiots.
  • Like 1

Americans were more vicious by presenting Dwight Schultz ( Star Trek: The Next Generation ) and Larry Linville ( M*A*S*H ) as idiots.

Are those guys right wingers?

I've got an opinion about Dwight Schultz.

If I could go back in time and change Star Trek history this is what I'd do with the characters of TNG. It might be a bit controversial though.

OUT

Wesley Crusher

Dr Crusher

PIcard

Troi

Data

La Forge

Riker

IN

John De Lancie - Captain

Dwight Schultz - Science officer

Miles O'Brien - Engineer

Ro Laren - Navigator

Tasha Yar - Helmsman

Brent Spiner - Ship's doctor

Worf - Security

• Like 1

If I could go back in time and change Star Trek history this is what I'd do with the characters of TNG. It might be a bit controversial though.

OUT

Wesley Crusher

Dr Crusher

PIcard

Troi

Data

La Forge

Riker

IN

John De Lancie - Captain

Miles O'Brien - Engineer

Ro Laren - Navigator

Tasha Yar - Helmsman

Brent Spiner - Ship's doctor

Worf - Security

I would just go back to TOS. :wub:

OUT

Wesley Crusher

Dr Crusher

PIcard

Troi

Data

La Forge

Riker

IN

John De Lancie - Captain

Miles O'Brien - Engineer