Top 10 British Sitcoms of all time

treeduck

The lack of love for Are You Being Served is a travesty!

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

Are you insane? I watched every episode of those five shows and loved it...perhaps I'm insane. :unsure:

Well no you just like that kind of daft humour. I remember when I first saw Hi-De-Hi, it didn't make me laugh it made me feel down in the dumps. The only one that was funny was the old punch and judy guy. The "comedian" guy was not only unfunny he was like a total amateur, the manager guy was dull, the understudy comedian was as bad as you'd expect and the rest of them I can't even remember apart from Peggy and the Welsh tart. I suppose Peggy was entertaining but even she seemed as desperate as the writers seemed to be.

I like your list so we can't be that far apart. I can't wait to hear your review of Allo Allo. Since you have that show listed after Hi-De-HI, I assume you think it was even worse?

I thought that was a little better actually, I prefer the WWII scenario, and I think Gordon Kaye is pretty good. The hot girls kind of made me overlook the cliche cloak and dagger stuff, but I just couldn't get into it with the deliberately bad French accents (ripping off Peter Sellers) etc.

I knew the flying helmet in the wet celery would get to you. :blush:

It Ain't Half Hot Mum was the kind of Dad's Army II, with a concert party team this time instead of a geriatric band of Home Guard soldiers. The main joke throughout the show was the Welsh Sgt. Major's reaction to a couple of his men, Lofty and Mr La-De-Dah Gunner Graham. Of course there's no way they'll ever broadcast this show again on TV because of Michael Bates playing an Indian bearer in blackface.

That reminds me of Dino Shafeek, who was in a show not mentioned yet, Mind Your Language.

One interesting thing about Bates he was actually born in India, but not actually Indian.

And a strong Conservative. That's probably not very popular around here, so let's move on to another show I liked "Don't Drink the Water." :spitwater:

Yeah he did another show around that time, Last of the Summer Wine. Peter Sallis apparently described him as a little to the right of Margaret Thatcher, but his co-star Bill Owen was the complete opposite and they often had a hard time getting on well enough to film the show.

Americans were more vicious by presenting Dwight Schultz ( Star Trek: The Next Generation ) and Larry Linville ( M*A*S*H ) as idiots.

Are those guys right wingers?

I've got an opinion about Dwight Schultz.

If I could go back in time and change Star Trek history this is what I'd do with the characters of TNG. It might be a bit controversial though.

OUT

Wesley Crusher

Dr Crusher

PIcard

Troi

Data

La Forge

Riker

IN

John De Lancie - Captain

Dwight Schultz - Science officer

Miles O'Brien - Engineer

Ro Laren - Navigator

Tasha Yar - Helmsman

Brent Spiner - Ship's doctor

Worf - Security

I would just go back to TOS. :wub:

I prefer the original.

Good man. :fistbump:
  • Like 1

The kids got ahold of a VHS box of some show called "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" - or something like that. I couldn't stand it. Is anyone familiar with it?

The kids got ahold of a VHS box of some show called "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" - or something like that. I couldn't stand it. Is anyone familiar with it?

I watched the whole series. I liked the plot lines, but I can understand why Michael Crawford's voice can drive people crazy.
  • Like 1

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

Spot on!

• Like 2

Spot on!

I have a sentimental spot for AYBS because it was one of the early ones I watched. It wasnt tremendous, but like a comfortable old pair of shoes it was fun to watch.

Anyone else like Yes, Minister?

• Like 2

Spot on!

I have a sentimental spot for AYBS because it was one of the early ones I watched. It wasnt tremendous, but like a comfortable old pair of shoes it was fun to watch.

I wasn't a massive fan of Yes Minister, but it was obviously a clever piece of work with top notch acting.

• Like 1

Spot on!

What Lerxt? I meant it was comfortable and familiar like an old pair of shoes. Even with COVID I am not here staring at my shoes. lol

• Like 1

Spot on!

I wasn't a massive fan of Yes Minister, but it was obviously a clever piece of work with top notch acting.

I liked it, and interestingly, many of the same issues covered then are still prevalent today! Funny too - Ive read that Hacker was supposed to be a centrist Tory, but upon watching it I thought he was a liberal.. lol.

• Like 3

Spot on!

I liked it, and interestingly, many of the same issues covered then are still prevalent today! Funny too - Ive read that Hacker was supposed to be a centrist Tory, but upon watching it I thought he was a liberal.. lol.

What other British sitcoms did you like, apart from the obvious Fawlty?

Spot on!

I havent watched a ton, but liked keeping up appearances, as time goes by, aybs, Yes Minister and Prime Minister, Last of the summer wine, Still Game, The young ones, waiting for god. But keep in mind this is based a LOT on what was available on PBS, I didnt have a lot of choice....

• Like 1

Spot on!

I havent watched a ton, but liked keeping up appearances, as time goes by, aybs, Yes Minister and Prime Minister, Last of the summer wine, Still Game, The young ones, waiting for god. But keep in mind this is based a LOT on what was available on PBS, I didnt have a lot of choice....

You need to watch Porridge, Rising Damp, Only Fools and Horses, Only When I Laugh, Dad's Army, The Good Life, Open All Hours and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

• Like 1

I understand. There are some classic clips. But generally Frank used to bother me. Honestly. British comedy is so much better than this. I mean it didn't make my top choices. :D

Spot on!

You Bohemian! It's the thin edge of the wedge I tell ye!

• Like 1

I watched a few episodes of Going Straight last night. It was disappointing when I watched it back in the day and it still is. The first episode with Fletch and Mckay on the train, was good but that should have been the end. They took Fletcher out of the perfect situation with perfect supporting characters around him and put him in a dull unfunny situation with mostly unfunny characters like his daughter, and even Godber isn't much good out of prison, with the different dynamic between him and Fletch. Fletch was a winner inside with his little victories over the system but outside he can't even put a set of shelves up!
  • Like 2

I watched a few episodes of Going Straight last night. It was disappointing when I watched it back in the day and it still is. The first episode with Fletch and Mckay on the train, was good but that should have been the end. They took Fletcher out of the perfect situation with perfect supporting characters around him and put him in a dull unfunny situation with mostly unfunny characters like his daughter, and even Godber isn't much good out of prison, with the different dynamic between him and Fletch. Fletch was a winner inside with his little victories over the system but outside he can't even put a set of shelves up!

Yep exactly. The 1st episode offered so much hope, and failed thereafter. IMO it should have followed a life of crime. The situation it DID provide was dull and safe. No conflict. The initial series had an aura of unknown morality. The later series fulfilled the doubt.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

Yep exactly. The 1st episode offered so much hope, and failed thereafter. IMO it should have followed a life of crime. The situation it DID provide was dull and safe. No conflict. The initial episodes had an aura of unknown morality. The later episodes fulfilled the doubt.

They also kind of neutered Fletcher, had him taking handouts from his daughter who was shacking up with his old cellmate under his own roof! This felt wrong completely, even though it was Godber. His wife had left him as well. In one episode Fletch reveals he buried some money in a field and this offered some comedy value, but the other characters spend the rest of the episode trying to stop him from digging it up, it's like anti-comedy. You're right about making it more of a crime show and since McKay took compulsory retirement they should have made him the probation officer, and had more of Fletch's old cellmates in the show, even if it stretched credibility a bit.

• Like 1

Yea exactly. Fletcher lost the metal. :) I mean he lost the edge, the danger, the unknown! Duality. They did it through the various means you mention.Bit of an anti climax to be honest after the 1st series. I feel the let down. There's always Scum!
  • Like 1

Spot on!

Hooorah! It is the the best comedy series ever created.

Yea exactly. Fletcher lost the metal. :) I mean he lost the edge, the danger, the unknown! Duality. They did it through the various means you mention.Bit of an anti climax to be honest after the 1st series. I feel the let down. There's always Scum!

There's also a one-off follow-up show from 2003 which I haven't watched. And remake with Fletch's "grandson" in the Fletch role, I can't see that being any good.

A lot of these shows would never be broadcast now in our politically correct utopia!

Mary Whitehouse for the other side, eh? With a lot more pull, I should think.
  • Like 1

Any love for 'And Mother Makes Three / Five'? Or at least for Wendy Craig. :drool: I don't like sit-coms involving children, but these two didn't bother me.

I liked her in Butterflies, with another early appearance from "Rodney" Nicholas Lyndhurst as her son. Much better than the character he had in Going Straight.

• Like 3