I can't Believe...

Sonatine

....the first Rush album I listened to in full was Moving Pictures, which was released more or less 40 years ago!

I really can't believe that Rush have been around since 1973/4, and I wonder where the hell time went! All those classic albums such as "2112", "Fly By Night", "ATWS" and "PW". All those albums that I used to listen to on my old beat-up Marantz hi-fi system back in the late 70s early 80s, and here we are now some 40 years on and their music still feels relevant and inspiring.

What was your first Rush album when you knew this band was something special?

• Like 6

For me, it was Grace Under Pressure. I liked "Distant Early Warning" on MTV, I remembered "New World Man" from one of those K-Tel collections I already had, so my mom bought GUP for me on a trip to Kmart.

I loved it right away, and the rest is history.

• Like 2

The first album I heard (and indeed purchased) was Caress Of Steel way back in 1975.

I knew at that point that this was a special band............ and here we are, still enthusing about them!!! :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 5

....the first Rush album I listened to in full was Moving Pictures, which was released more or less 40 years ago!

I really can't believe that Rush have been around since 1973/4, and I wonder where the hell time went! All those classic albums such as "2112", "Fly By Night", "ATWS" and "PW". All those albums that I used to listen to on my old beat-up Marantz hi-fi system back in the late 70s early 80s, and here we are now some 40 years on and their music still feels relevant and inspiring.

Fly By Night. It wasn't the latest Rush album at the time (that was AFTK), but it had just the right combination of ingredients to appeal to my burgeoning interest in non AM-radio music.

• Like 1

My older cousin has a M.F.A. in classical piano performance and has cut several albums and built a career in music. I grew up idolizing his musical skill and my earliest memories include attending his piano recitals. He taught me keys for about a year when I was seven.

Anyways, when I turned 15, his career was in full swing, and for my birthday he gave me three CDs. "You're ready for the best music now," he said. "So here, these are for you."

I looked at them in my hands.

"Number one is the best jazz ever made - Oscar Peterson, The Trio."

"Number two is the best classical ever made - Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto."

"Number three is the best rock ever made - Moving Pictures by Rush."

I was off to the races. I bought Presto and 2112 in the next month. All three remain my favorite overall Rush albums.

I still listen to Peterson and the Rach 2 as well. He was right about all of them.

• Like 4

Rush has aged with us. I miss them...God Bless Neil ! :notworthy: Rush was good to us. Now they can rest and have fun ! :notworthy:

Indeed they have aged with us, just like a fine wine.

So many happy memories of great albums, great t-shirts, great concerts, and a general sense of what an awesome band they were, and I was lucky enough to find them an appreciate them.

Long live, By-tor and the Snowdog

• Like 2

Grace Under Pressure, I came to Rush rather late (2011) but it took me a while to listen to a whole album and that happened to be the one. I became obsessed with them thereafter and especially after watching Beyond the Lighted Stage. Was kinda jealous I missed out on all the earlier great stuff but I managed to see them 3 times in concert so I am happy.
  • Like 2

I first heard limelight on the radio and thought it was the coolest song ever. I saved up my quarters to play it on the jukebox at the pizza place. I was 10 and have been listening to Rush ever since. I think, if I had to be honest, I fell in love with Caress of Steel at 16. That is when Rush crossed over from a cool band to being more like a companion on my life journey. I know that sounds odd but it's really true. Bacchus's Plateau means so much to me at 50 years old then I could even explain in words. I am sure all Rush fans have similar type feelings... Edited by Missing1202