RIP soccer legend Diego Maradona, 60

laughedatbytime

Napoli is already changing the name of their stadium to "you know who."

I saw on the news there at lunchtime that his body is lying in state in the presidential palace in Buenos Aires and that Argentina are holding 3 days of national mourning!!

Look, I know he was a great footballer, but there an awful lot of stuff he was involved in following his playing career which was, to say the least, very unsavoury.

To make him out as an all round great human being is a bit rich in my view.

Now, I must say - your fellow countryman Mr Best. Do you think Diego did anything worse/better than Georgie Boy? Personally, I can`t think of many people who are famous in their field, whether it`s music or sport or acting or literature, that would love the spotlight that Diego had since he was a teenager and forevermore, all their behaviours revealed. His lifestyle was inevitable - it would be hard to say no coke, no women, no more money, when you`ve left a slum and are abroad and treated like a God...

I can totally see why Argentinian`s love him - the context of the internal Dirty War of the 70s and the Falklands in the 80s left the country shattered and Diego showed everything that his country loves about its heroes - we will beat you with skill, and we will beat you with cheating. I know it`s not very correct of me, but I love my heroes who are right on the edge and often toppled over.

Well, now we know why you missed the Liverpool game last night. Watching Maradona highlights on youtube, eh?
  • Like 2

I saw on the news there at lunchtime that his body is lying in state in the presidential palace in Buenos Aires and that Argentina are holding 3 days of national mourning!!

Look, I know he was a great footballer, but there an awful lot of stuff he was involved in following his playing career which was, to say the least, very unsavoury.

Now, I must say - your fellow countryman Mr Best. Do you think Diego did anything worse/better than Georgie Boy? Personally, I can`t think of many people who are famous in their field, whether it`s music or sport or acting or literature, that would love the spotlight that Diego had since he was a teenager and forevermore, all their behaviours revealed. His lifestyle was inevitable - it would be hard to say no coke, no women, no more money, when you`ve left a slum and are abroad and treated like a God...

I can totally see why Argentinian`s love him - the context of the internal Dirty War of the 70s and the Falklands in the 80s left the country shattered and Diego showed everything that his country loves about its heroes - we will beat you with skill, and we will beat you with cheating. I know it`s not very correct of me, but I love my heroes who are right on the edge and often toppled over.

Well, now we know why you missed the Liverpool game last night. Watching Maradona highlights on youtube, eh?

It`s been a year for watching Youtube. Glenn Hoddle must be glad he had his heart attack two years ago, that year was safer for my childhood heroes :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

It is interesting to make comparisons between George Best & Diego Maradona -

- Both were fabulous footballers - skills beyond belief (In my view George was a far better all round player ... but I would be somewhat biased!!).

- Both were notorious womanisers.

- Both were ultimately destroyed by substance abuse George with the booze and Diego with booze and drugs.

However there were differences -

- Unlike Diego, George never dabbled in any politics (thankfully due to the dire state of politics here), whereas Diego waded in to all sorts of left wing politics.

- George never was involved with the underworld (again thankfully due to the gangsters here!!), whereas Diego had undoubted links with the Cartel.

- George restricted his goal scoring methods to foot and head!

I guess what I was really trying to say was that lying in state and days of mourning should really be reserved for figures of true greatness. Not sports personalities, however great they were at their sport.

• Like 3

Re-reading Jonathan Wilson`s "Angels with Dirty Faces: A Footballing History of Argentina" too. Always remember my Spurs allegiance and Ricky Villa and Ossie and Poch etc.; I am contractually obliged to favour them.
  • Like 1

- Both were fabulous footballers - skills beyond belief (In my view George was a far better all round player ... but I would be somewhat biased!!).

- Both were ultimately destroyed by substance abuse George with the booze and Diego with booze and drugs.

However there were differences -

- Unlike Diego, George never dabbled in any politics (thankfully due to the dire state of politics here), whereas Diego waded in to all sorts of left wing politics.

- George never was involved with the underworld (again thankfully due to the gangsters here!!), whereas Diego had undoubted links with the Cartel.

- George restricted his goal scoring methods to foot and head!

I guess what I was really trying to say was that lying in state and days of mourning should really be reserved for figures of true greatness. Not sports personalities, however great they were at their sport.

Well, Argentina might be a little light on clean heroes. To quote a website (author`s name not provided) -

"After everything is said and done, to an Argentine, if you’re not Evita, Maradona, Gardel, or Che, you’re just average. But those few national heroes are revered like Gods."

• Like 2

Re-reading Jonathan Wilson`s "Angels with Dirty Faces: A Footballing History of Argentina" too. Always remember my Spurs allegiance and Ricky Villa and Ossie and Poch etc.; I am contractually obliged to favour them.

Aha!!! I totally forgot about that!! At least Villa and Ardiles were likable characters lol!!
  • Like 1

Aha!!! I totally forgot about that!! At least Villa and Ardiles were likable characters lol!!

Mere mortals though, with Diego in front of them. Souness to his Dalglish, if you will. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Shilton had some nice words for Maradona on Twitter...and some criticism in a Daily Mail article. Kinda like this thread.

I pride myself on not knowing what the Daily Mail are saying about anything :moon:
  • Like 1

Both died on November 25th too!

Can't get enough of this clip :)

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 2

http://youtu.be/Cdf6D19Etmc

Watch George Best make a fool out of the great Gordon Banks ..... and disgracefully the referee disallowed it. I was at this game and remember the crowd going mental when the ref overruled it!

• Like 2

Hoddle said that you were intimidated by Maradona just from the warm-up. I would watch instead of stretching, wouldn`t you?
  • Like 1

Watch George Best make a fool out of the great Gordon Banks ..... and disgracefully the referee disallowed it. I was at this game and remember the crowd going mental when the ref overruled it!liberty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8

I`m not sure why that was disallowed, even now. It still looks like Banks was taking a massive liberty, one that backfired.
  • Like 1

Watch George Best make a fool out of the great Gordon Banks ..... and disgracefully the referee disallowed it. I was at this game and remember the crowd going mental when the ref overruled it!liberty

I`m not sure why that was disallowed, even now. It still looks like Banks was taking a massive liberty, one that backfired.

You have to give the goalkeeper room to play the ball in a situation like that, don't you?
  • Like 1

You have to give the goalkeeper room to play the ball in a situation like that, don't you?

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when he`s touching it/throwing it in the air to kick it - but for me, Banks had messed about for ages, and there used to be "six-second rule" and Banks was absolutely on the edge. I would have allowed it because I like pushing rules :drool:
  • Like 1

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when he`s touching it/throwing it in the air to kick it - but for me, Banks had messed about for ages, and there used to be "six-second rule" and Banks was absolutely on the edge. I would have allowed it because I like pushing rules :drool:

Yes, except you see Banks put the ball on the ground to avoid the "six-second rule" so you have to start counting after his second grab of the ball. Tomaszewski used to do that all the time. Besides, Best is standing right in front of Banks for most of the time, not allowing him to put the ball in play. I've seen yellow cards dished out for that many-a-time.
  • Like 1

Don`

Yes, except you see Banks put the ball on the ground to avoid the "six-second rule" so you have to start counting after his second grab of the ball. Tomaszewski used to do that all the time. Besides, Best is standing right in front of Banks for most of the time, not allowing him to put the ball in play. I've seen yellow cards dished out for that many-a-time.

This was deemed perfectly within the rules, and I only mention it to illustrate the arbitrary way the rules are applied...

• Like 1

Don`

This was deemed perfectly within the rules, and I only mention it to illustrate the arbitrary way the rules are applied...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6HKQ00Fok

I don't know where the controversy is. It was a red balloon. :P
  • Like 2

Don`

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6HKQ00Fok

I don't know where the controversy is. It was a red balloon. :P

Bent still claimed the goal, that`s the outrage! I think Balloon-o was robbed.
  • Like 2

OK, soccer fans...was Maradona top 5 all time? And who are the top 5 of all time?

I hate these questions about the "best of all time" because there's different positions to consider and inevitably defenders and goalkeepers will get the short end of the stick, but I'll go with Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, Beckenbauer and Cruyff. Still, I could add quite a few more names to that list.
  • Like 1