Greatest Progressive Rock Album Of All Time Pt. 3: More VOTING!

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose wisely!  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for up to 15 albums!

• Rush - A Farewell To Kings
    • King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
    • Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    • Pink Floyd - Animals
    • Dream Theater - Images And Words
    • Genesis - Nursery Cryme
    • Yes - 90125
    • Yes - Relayer
    • Rush - Hemispheres
    • Kansas - Leftoverture
    • Genesis - Foxtrot
    • Black Sabbath - Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
    • Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    • Emerson, Lake, And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
    • Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
    • Rush - Permanent Waves
    • Rush - Moving Pictures
    • Yes - Close To The Edge
    • Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
    • Rush - 2112
    • Yes - Going For The One
    • Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    • Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    • Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
    • Emerson, Lake, And Palmer - Emerson, Lake, And Palmer
    • The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
    • King Crimson - Red
    • Emerson, Lake, And Palmer - Tarkus
    • Camel - Mirage
    • Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
    • Gentle Giant - Octopus
    • Rush - Hold Your Fire
    • The Who - Quadrophenia
    • Rush - Caress Of Steel
    • Yes - The Yes Album
    • Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    • Pink Floyd - The Wall
    • Yes - Fragile
    • Jethro Tull - Aqualung (did not originally make the list, but added because that seemed like a big oversight)

I've taken every album which garnered 7 votes or more and placed them into the poll above. They totaled 39...which is oh so close to the limit of 40...so close that I just had to slip in that notable omission I mentioned at the start of the last poll (pretty sure it would've garnered more than 7 votes knowing how many Tull heads are on here).

Anyway, now that we're mostly rid of the albums only a few people know or care about, I think it would be much too hard to only choose 11 this time. So go ahead and vote for up to 15 albums!

Fun fact, I own and enjoy to varying degrees all but one of the albums listed above (which I likely will someday but I haven't gotten to it yet). Guess which one I'm missing!

• Like 1

I also own the vast majority of these on vinyl...wow, I really am a prog head.

Like yourself, I have pretty much all this stuff in one format or another.

15 sounds like a lot of choices but there were still a couple I had to drop.

In general I have stuck with the 'tried and trusted' classics.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

I did too until a 1999 flood in my parent's basement wiped out my entire vinyl collection.

I did too until a 1999 flood in my parent's basement wiped out my entire vinyl collection.

Sad! :(

What is "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" doing in this poll?

It got 10 votes in the last one, that’s what!

From this one row group of forty, I've picked fifteen. For the ones, who have done it, so far, if anyone has found the selections tougher to choose from, I don't know, but I have. I felt having not to pick a band, and group, and any of the few same previous selections because of narrowing it down. The selections might, and or will get even tougher. Edited by Derek19

But it's not prog rock at all.

Tell that to whoever put it in the original list, and to the 10 people who voted for it in the last poll, and the people who have voted for it in this poll.

Tell that to whoever put it in the original list, and to the 10 people who voted for it in the last poll, and the people who have voted for it in this poll.

I assume it's considered early prog because it is a concept album, and for songs like A Day In The Life.

And the costumes, maybe?

• Like 1

I assume it's considered early prog because it is a concept album, and for songs like A Day In The Life.

And the costumes, maybe?

Not gonna lie, although I tend to agree with the consensus that ITCOTCK by King Crimson is the first proper prog album... there’s no way A Day In The Life isn’t prog. There’s just 0 precedent for it’s structure in the rock and roll cannon up to that point, and it clearly inspired many other songs to do similar things with their structures which are all considered prog.

And the costumes, maybe?

Not gonna lie, although I tend to agree with the consensus that ITCOTCK by King Crimson is the first proper prog album... there’s no way A Day In The Life isn’t prog. There’s just 0 precedent for it’s structure in the rock and roll cannon up to that point, and it clearly inspired many other songs to do similar things with their structures which are all considered prog.

Ask Robert Fripp about "A Day in the Life".

• Like 2

The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band c.d., and album is considered one of the first art rock, a progenitor to progressive rock, and the start of the album era. It is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the roles of sound composition, psychedelic imagery, record sleeves, and the producer in popular music. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

And the costumes, maybe?

Ask Robert Fripp about "A Day in the Life".

I was unaware of this - thanks for posting and making me look it up...

"A Little Help from Its Friends: Taken one way, In the Court of the Crimson King can be seen as one possible continuation of the orchestral grandeur that concludes “A Day in the Life”, Sgt. Pepper’s’ majestic closing number. Describing some of the influences that led to the creation of the album, guitarist Robert Fripp recalls hearing “A Day in the Life” on the radio: “It was terrifying; I had no idea what it was … Then it kept going. Then, there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this a colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I’d come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper’s… My life was never the same again.” Following Sgt. Pepper’s, The Beatles ventured further into avant-pop with The Beatles (aka The White Album), but the path laid out by Sgt. Pepper’s made numerous avenues of exploration available for musicians, and King Crimson took a narrow but exciting trail. Of the many descriptions pinned to Sgt. Pepper’s, one of the truest is that it expanded what the rock album was capable of, a mantle taken up by In the Court of the Crimson King."

• Like 3

CTTE and Fragile has more votes than Hemispheres.

I would rank CTTE over Hems but both over Fragile.

CTTE and Fragile has more votes than Hemispheres.

I would rank CTTE over Hems but both over Fragile.

I would too. And Fragile is my second favorite Yes album. And I think it's generally regarded as the second best Yes album (after CTTE).

I would put The Yes Album and 90125 over Fragile.

I would put The Yes Album and 90125 over Fragile.

The Yes Album? OK.

But 90125? That's quite controversial.

I realize that, but it's absolutely their happiest and most optimistic record to me. I love listening to it while I'm doing studio work for long hours as it keeps me motivated and happy. I also think many people can't see past the 80s production and hear the really intricate song craft lying underneath. If I were let it drop out of my top three, it would fall no lower than 5.

• Like 2