When did you break up with Rush?

Weatherman

Vapor Trails seems to be given lots of shade here... goddamn that album is f***ing killer man

VT is their last album with lyrics which have made me think.

Not a fan of Snakes whatsoever.

CA has some fun songs but I don’t give the lyrics much thought (aside from The Garden).

• Like 2

We've been together so long, we've matured and know what is reasonable to expect and ask from each other.

Years ago we decided to open up the relationship and it saved us from going stale or end up hating each other. We see others but know we can count on them and will always be there for each other. I can't imagine my life without them

• Like 2

Rush Fans who break up with Rush aren't Rush Fans. It's my opinion. WEAK!

To each their own. Leave me alone.

I'm getting a strong 'get off my lawn' vibe here.

No it's all good. I just can't fathom a real Rush fan quitting on the band despite a bad album or two.

Well, one can drift away and maybe come back later like I am with the latest Steven Wilson record. Dreadful.

Agreed. Personal Shopper is 9:49 of my life that I'll never get back. While listening, I kept thinking that it was a joke, as if he was just testing fans to see how much of the dregs we'll listen to, or that it eventually would segue into some guitar-fronted blasting riff. Disappointment was all I experienced.

Power Windows. Signals was a pretty huge disappointment after the glory that was those first eight albums. I thought Subdivisions was mopey adolescent whining, and apart from a few high points, I never warmed to the album until just the last few years. Rush was the love of my adolescent life and Signals felt like someone close who decides to "discover" themselves and just becomes silly. GUP felt more serious, and wasn't bad -- I listened to it a lot when it came out -- but it was clear Rush was no longer the Rush that had felt like the most special band in the world to me. By the time PoW came out I was listening almost exclusively to post-punk and the better new wave bands (Wire, Joy Division, Smiths, Cure, Bauhaus and offshoots, etc); I took one look at that cover with the Howard Jones-esque teenager (more Subdivisions-esque mopery?!?) and not only didn't bother buying it but had zero curiosity about how it sounded. When Hold Your Fire came out and I saw the Time Stand Still video, I actually felt pity and scorn for the band I once thought was not only the best band on the planet, but didn't have a close second (they became my favorite band with AFTK and with Hemi they became mythic to me). In the early '90s I met a younger guy who enthusiastically discovered Rush with Presto and RtB and though I was polite and supportive, I thought that he must have the worst taste in music one can have, almost. It wasn't long after that I gave away my Rush discs (I had the ones I liked on vinyl and that was good enough for me) and I hardly gave them any thought for years, except to sometimes wonder if I had only liked them because I discovered them when I was young and supposedly not so bright. I would sometimes wonder if I heard them for the first time as an adult, would I like them at all or would I dismissively think them stupid like most critics I'd ever read.

I don't remember what exactly made me return to them but it was around 2006. I think I had bought ATWAS on eBay, thinking that it rocked no matter what they did later, and I should have it in my CD collection, and the seller mistakenly (?) included an extra CD case that had both The Spirit of St. Louis and the Bravado single. The funny thing was that I had recorded the SoSL show on a cheap cassette player when it was first broadcast on Westwood One radio. I fell asleep listening to that show every night for a year I think. I LOVED that show, so to have it show up out of the blue was fantastic. And Bravado surprised me as I didn't think it was bad at all.

So, encouraged, I decided to buy their whole catalog off eBay, the cheap way, in lots. I found I loved the old stuff just as much as I did as a kid, warmed to the stuff that had caused the separation (Signals and GUP), and found that with Vapor Trails they not only still kicked major *ss, but were putting together fantastic and interesting compositions (like if a heavy metal band decided to make an album like Talking Heads' Remain in Light). Vapor Trails is still my favorite Rush album since Moving Pictures. S&A was more hit and miss but the musical performances were amazing and the production a whole helluva lot better than VT (I don't disagree with VT's critics re its production). PoW through T4E is still a hard sell for me, but I can at least appreciate the musicianship, and there's the occasional track I like or can at least tolerate.

So I returned to Rush with a vengeance and that passion lasted several years, where they were my primary go-to band, except when temporarily supplanted by something like Wire's Change Becomes Us in 2013 or The Church's Further Deeper in 2014, or the 6-month Zeppelin phase which unavoidably comes back every few years like a persistent case of herpes. Outside those pauses, they kind of dominated until about 2018 when a Wire obsession started again, which is still going on (I've been listening to Send Ultimate almost non-stop for the last six months). Nevertheless, when I think if I could only take one album to a desert island, it would be Exit Stage Left, basically the best-of my favorite period (with ATWAS a close second). It will always be such. ESL side 3 is to my ears the best side of music there is anywhere (muddy production aside) and Alex will always be my favorite guitarist.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I feel pity and scorn for the Time Stand Still video too. LOL

But not the song. It gets better w time, ironically.

Also, I'm one of those young whippersnappers who discovered them through Presto/RTB/Counterparts. I quickly saw that those albums weren't quite as brilliant as MP or 2112, but they still sound very good to me, especially Presto.

Anyways, everything is relative. Your tastes can and do change.

Today, with a lot of electronic music stuffed into my ears over the last few years, I think the prog era sounds horrible, but Signals sounds great.

• Like 1

I tried to explain it wasn't them, it was me.

There wasn't someone else, we had simply grown in different directions.

They took it very hard, harder than I thought they would.

At first there was the crying and the pleading questions, "why, why, why?!"

Then came the negotiating , "we can change, we swear, just tell us what you want...please!'

I tried, in vain, to explain that it had gone too far and a clean break would be best for both of us in the long run.

"I hate you!, I hate you!, I hate you!" they cried.

It was so sad and such an undignified scene.

• Like 2

When "Stick it Out" was released for radio back in 93'. I HATED that song so much that I never bought Counterparts until many years later. I wish they had released something else as the lead single, because overall I ended up liking the album once I finally listened to it. But I have to say, I listened to Counterparts the other day for the first time in a while...and I still don't like "Stick it Out." :| Edited by mattroland76

As a long time fan from the late 70s they almost lost me with Vapor Trails.Yes the lyrics were great but musically and not to mention the wall of noise it was subpar but they were back.After Neil’s death I played Rush for a few days and that was it.I even stopped visiting this forum.Over the last month I have gone back to all things Rush Edited by grasbo

When "Stick it Out" was released for radio back in 93'. I HATED that song so much that I never bought Counterparts until many years later. I wish they had released something else as the lead single, because overall I ended up liking the album once I finally listened to it. But I have to say, I listened to Counterparts the other day for the first time in a while...and I still don't like "Stick it Out." :|

I still don't have Counterparts. Or Test for Echo. Not much point in getting them now, I can always find Driven somewhere.

• Like 1

When "Stick it Out" was released for radio back in 93'. I HATED that song so much that I never bought Counterparts until many years later. I wish they had released something else as the lead single, because overall I ended up liking the album once I finally listened to it. But I have to say, I listened to Counterparts the other day for the first time in a while...and I still don't like "Stick it Out." :|