The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

I`m unsure what to make of Spurs vs Wolfsberger. Their first appearance in a European knockout round, so they`ll be all heffed up on goofballs :dweez:

They would have a more difficult game playing The Chipping Sodbury Over '80s XI

Starting the mind games for this evening, eh? :P

:joker:

Tomorrow evening, I mean. This not having a strict work routine thing sure plays havoc with remembering simple things! :smoke:

What's your thinking? Will they go at each other hammer and tongs, and somebody walks out 5-3 winners? Will Kane & Son have a red-letter day against our Frankensteined back line?

LFC are without Jota, of course, because 2020. Still, I'm hopeful the big three will do the business.

Line-up for line-up, were I neutral I`d feel Spurs have a decent chance to win (but as a fan, I cannot feel that). I don`t think Jose will operate similar tactics as against Chelsea away, as you are more ambitious and we would want you to attack so we can hoof it forward. Although Blackhawkrush poo-poo`d my claim that an away point in the PL is always good, at Anfield - we have two wins since the Titanic sank, or something! - and with your home form over three seasons, it`d deserve a little shiny bauble all on its own. Best hope is that, and no more injuries to anyone?
  • Like 2

I`m unsure what to make of Spurs vs Wolfsberger. Their first appearance in a European knockout round, so they`ll be all heffed up on goofballs :dweez:

Tomorrow evening, I mean. This not having a strict work routine thing sure plays havoc with remembering simple things! :smoke:

What's your thinking? Will they go at each other hammer and tongs, and somebody walks out 5-3 winners? Will Kane & Son have a red-letter day against our Frankensteined back line?

LFC are without Jota, of course, because 2020. Still, I'm hopeful the big three will do the business.

Line-up for line-up, were I neutral I`d feel Spurs have a decent chance to win (but as a fan, I cannot feel that). I don`t think Jose will operate similar tactics as against Chelsea away, as you are more ambitious and we would want you to attack so we can hoof it forward. Although Blackhawkrush poo-poo`d my claim that an away point in the PL is always good, at Anfield - we have two wins since the Titanic sank, or something! - and with your home form over three seasons, it`d deserve a little shiny bauble all on its own. Best hope is that, and no more injuries to anyone?

I would say that if ever there was a good time to play Liverpool, it is now, although despite poor away form, our Anfield record is strong.
  • Like 1

I would say that if ever there was a good time to play Liverpool, it is now, although despite poor away form, our Anfield record is strong.

Yep, and our away form has been excellent - but you don`t get to play Man Utd at Old Trafford every week :sigh:
  • Like 1

Yep, and our away form has been excellent - but you don`t get to play Man Utd at Old Trafford every week :sigh:

Mourinho is saying Klopp shouldn't complain about injuries when he only has one main player out. :poke:
  • Like 2

Mourinho is saying Klopp shouldn't complain about injuries when he only has one main player out. :poke:

Jose is a master at 'stirring the big wooden spoon' lol!
  • Like 2

Another night of big teams saying ....... hey! I don't want the three points!

Very flat from City, and it`s the first time I`ve cheered a Wolves goal :lol: Whatever happens tomorrow, nobody below is putting too much of a squeeze on.
  • Like 2

Jose is a master at 'stirring the big wooden spoon' lol!

If he wants to add to Liverpool's misery, Alfie Devine shows promise. ;)
  • Like 2

It`ll be interesting to see how the national act of self-harm that is Brexit affects clubs. They will be unable to sign players under 18 from outside the UK, so the likes of Pogba, Fabregas and so on would not have been able to move as they did.

However, clubs with partnerships, like Vitesse Arnhem and Chelsea, or Man City and a club in every country, can buy them for their sister club and then move them to the English league at aged 18.

I predict a surge in strange partnerships!

• Like 2

Take it easy, Spurs... don`t want to get dragged into a game of football here.

Ball possession in the first half...79%-21% :facepalm: Even Poland will get more against England.

You may think this is obviously insincere and self-serving, but honestly, I don`t much care for possession-based football - I strongly disliked the Barca and Spain vintage of a decade ago. I like it when Leeds play a possession style as it`s very high-tempo, but often it bores me.

Ball possession in the first half...79%-21% :facepalm: Even Poland will get more against England.

You may think this is obviously insincere and self-serving, but honestly, I don`t much care for possession-based football - I strongly disliked the Barca and Spain vintage of a decade ago. I like it when Leeds play a possession style as it`s very high-tempo, but often it bores me.

Well, it depends what quality chances you can produce from possession. Also, when you're chasing the ball, you tire yourself out more than when you're on the ball. That's a definite advantage of tiki-taka.

Well, it depends what quality chances you can produce from possession. Also, when you're chasing the ball, you tire yourself out more than when you're on the ball. That's a definite advantage of tiki-taka.

Well, I always preferred the Italian style of defensive football and relying on rebounds for goals :codger:

Gah, we don`t have that Mourinho closing out a game thing yet. Bergwijn and Kane really should have scored. It`s not for no reason that we never win at Anfield and Liverpool have that fancy home record!

Gah, we don`t have that Mourinho closing out a game thing yet. Bergwijn and Kane really should have scored. It`s not for no reason that we never win at Anfield and Liverpool have that fancy home record!

Yes, the 63rd minute was decisive for Tottenham, but you can't hope for a result with another 75%-25% Liverpool ball possession in the second half.

Well, I always preferred the Italian style of defensive football and relying on rebounds for goals :codger:

I will admit that tiki-taka turned a bit silly later on in its career. It seemed as though Barcelona and Spain were looking to brake the consecutive passing record.

Yes, the 63rd minute was decisive for Tottenham, but you can't hope for a result with another 75%-25% Liverpool ball possession in the second half.

Burnley beat Liverpool 2-0 a couple of years ago, with 20% of the ball, it can be done. If you think Spurs should be aiming higher than a Burnley tactic, then... :eyeroll:

Burnley beat Liverpool 2-0 a couple of years ago, with 20% of the ball, it can be done. If you think Spurs should be aiming higher than a Burnley tactic, then... :eyeroll:

They succeeded. They got 23% :ebert:

I can't really comment on the game as due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to see it.

I know it was a big result for us but it was a late goal so I don't know if it was deserved or not.

• Like 1

I can't really comment on the game as due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to see it.

I know it was a big result for us but it was a late goal so I don't know if it was deserved or not.

Very predictable - you had all the ball, scored with a deflected shot, we scored on the break. Second half we had two excellent chances, missed them. You continued to have all the ball and scored at the end!
  • Like 2

Very predictable - you had all the ball, scored with a deflected shot, we scored on the break. Second half we had two excellent chances, missed them. You continued to have all the ball and scored at the end!

Indeed it sounds predictable based on other encounters they have had at Anfield. I must admit, I thought Spurs would have won tonight.

Indeed it sounds predictable based on other encounters they have had at Anfield. I must admit, I thought Spurs would have won tonight.

Kane heading into the ground and over from about five yards was careless; if you watch the highlights it`ll seem like you should have won, and indeed you did.
  • Like 1

In more positive news, Lewandowski strikes twice against Wolfsburg and gets to 15 goals on the season and 251 in Bundesliga. His first. a header, was not as powerful as Firmino's but they all count.

LFC had most of the ball and knocked it around quite nicely, I thought. If the object of the game were completed passes, we'd have buried Spurs -- but it ain't! Still, it was a beautiful header from Bobby Chompers to seal the deal (no shenanigans, just a great ball in, and a header struck with authority).

We rode our luck with that lad hitting the post after he'd easily beaten Allison, and the aforementioned Kane header. Still, it's done and dusted, and my heart rhythms have returned to normal rates.

On to the festive period!

• Like 1