Strange Rush CD

RushRevisited

This is posted on Discogs here and here as well.

The Cygnus-X1 RUSH tribute site has a page here about it.

This appears to be the grandfather of the CD-ROM disc in a way.

What that doesn't tell you is that the audio tracks will play in a regular CD player and that those live tracks are audio from the Grace Under Pressure Tour video.

I'm selling my copy if anyone is interested.

What that doesn't tell you is that the audio tracks will play in a regular CD player and that those live tracks are audio from the Grace Under Pressure Tour video.

and chances are they are not brickwalled

• Like 1

I bought this brand new at Rose Records. I remember asking what it was and being told I would need a laser-disc player. I didn't have one, but I figured (at the time) that eventually EVERYONE would have a laser-disc player. (NOPE!)

So it has sat on my shelf since. with my Rush CDs since. I tried playing it in a CD player, just for the audio, but it didn't work.

I haven't thought about trying it since. Just a cool collector's item.

• Like 2

RR, Rob Quartly is a Canadian music video, television and commercial director, and also produced music videos for several artists including Kim Mitchell, Helix and Boys Brigade.

Yes, I know who he is. I am saying his name is spelled wrong on this CDV. There is no "e" in his last name.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Rob_Quartly

https://imvdb.com/n/rob-quartly

https://www.producti...ob-quartly.html

Maybe a misprint? Only a thought.

so does anyone have any insight into the live red sector a on this disc? where its from and how terry brown is credited. i dont recall red sector a being played live before its release? and iirc thats a post terry brown song. Edited by tangy

I had (might still be somewhere around my house as I wouldn't throw it away) this disc as well.

The Red Sector A was really great. Had just bought a CD player. A fellow Rush fan friend had the laser player (or whatever it was you needed) to watch the video portion. Think I only saw the video the one time.

• Like 2

I had the same CD Video compact disc by Tears For Fears -- Everybody Wants To Rule the World (music + video), plus 3 more songs.

The video portion never played on any machine, anywhere, ever.

I still have it in a box somewhere.

• Like 1

I just tried the disc in my current CD player and it played the audio, no problem.

This recording of Red Sector A isn't from "A Show of Hands" and it's not the "Grace Under Pressure Live" version either. The date of 1983 obviously just isn't correct. Sounds a lot like them though!

Oh, and my blu ray player doesn't find the video at all either.

• Like 1

I had the same CD Video compact disc by Tears For Fears -- Everybody Wants To Rule the World (music + video), plus 3 more songs.

The video portion never played on any machine, anywhere, ever.

I still have it in a box somewhere.

Just for curiosity, I found the Tears For Fears CDV here.

Tears For Fears at the time was on the same label as RUSH (Mercury Records, which was later owned by Polygram).

Maybe this specific record label did these limited edition CDV's.

I just tried the disc in my current CD player and it played the audio, no problem.

This recording of Red Sector A isn't from "A Show of Hands" and it's not the "Grace Under Pressure Live" version either. The date of 1983 obviously just isn't correct. Sounds a lot like them though!

Oh, and my blu ray player doesn't find the video at all either.

thanks for the comment on red sector a.

I ask the forum again how can terry brown be credited for red sector a?

Also, its a cd video made in UK? was that common and does that explain playback issues.

I guess its a cool collectors item but i dislike all three songs and the video of big money was embarrassingly bad........

So I took another listen. The Red Sector A audio on The Big Money CD Video is the same recording as the Grace Under Pressure tour.

The timing and editing at the very beginning threw me off.

The Big Money CD Video version of Red Sector A clocks in at 5:27.

The RSA on the Grace Under Pressure tour disc clocks in at 5:22.

So it's shorter on the Grace Tour, but the intro from Geddy is longer. On the Grace Tour version, he says, "Okay, we'd like to do another red song for you. This is called Red Sector A." The song (and Geddy talking) continues straight on from Distant Early Warning with no gap between.

The BM CD video version edits out the "Okay, we'd like to do another red song for you." There's an edit in there so that the song can "fade in". Then the song fades out too unlike on "Grace Tour" where there's no gap leading into "Closer To The Heart". The fades add time to the song even though the "another red song" is edited out.

Still no idea on the Terry Brown bit.

• Like 1

So I took another listen. The Red Sector A audio on The Big Money CD Video is the same recording as the Grace Under Pressure tour.

So it's shorter on the Grace Tour, but the intro from Geddy is longer. On the Grace Tour version, he says, "Okay, we'd like to do another red song for you. This is called Red Sector A." The song (and Geddy talking) continues straight on from Distant Early Warning with no gap between.

The BM CD video version edits out the "Okay, we'd like to do another red song for you." There's an edit in there so that the song can "fade in". Then the song fades out too unlike on "Grace Tour" where there's no gap leading into "Closer To The Heart". The fades add time to the song even though the "another red song" is edited out.

:cheers: :cheers:

thanks for looking that up. the terry brown part still puzzles me?

the cd in question lists 1983 as the date of red sector a recording. the wiki page is saw says the GUP tour recording was from 1984?it also says terry brown produced the entire record?

so terry did not do GUP but was brought back for the GUP tour recording? i guess i lose at rush trivia; pursuit! d'oh!

live and learn. forget and burn....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Under_Pressure_Tour_(album)

To further clarify, Red Sector A is the only live version (from the Grace video) on this disc in addition to The Big Money and Marathon. Also, the version I have (audio only) plays in my Pioneer. Never had the right player for the video which is just the normal edit from Chronicles.

The version of Red Sector A here is also a B-Side on The Big Money single.

i think Terry may have helped out on the live recording if I recall correctly, but these days I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

• Like 1

I bought this brand new at Rose Records. I remember asking what it was and being told I would need a laser-disc player. I didn't have one, but I figured (at the time) that eventually EVERYONE would have a laser-disc player. (NOPE!)

So it has sat on my shelf since. with my Rush CDs since. I tried playing it in a CD player, just for the audio, but it didn't work.

I haven't thought about trying it since. Just a cool collector's item.

Sure is. My favorite aspect of it is that it's a Gold CD years before the became a thing.