Rush or Depeche Mode is the biggest cult band?

rugen

[ a hugely successful cult band is a band that lives under the radar in terms of mainstream radio, yet draws large numbers of faithful fans to its shows and generates millions in album sales. The Grateful Dead, RUSH for much of its career, Phish, Primus, Taylor Swift...

Hmmmm . . . one of these things is not like the others . . .

The movie maker is trying to hype the subject of his movie. I'd say the biggest cult band is Insane Clown Posse. (with the emphasis on Clown). Their annual festival draws upwards of 100,000.

I agree - would never have thought of ICP but their support is remarkably consistent. I was watching an old YT clip and they were having it out with Sharon Osbourne. She was pissed at ICP because they gave one of her acts the heave ho off their tour. She was mocking their album sales and claiming their career was over. They made a bet that ICP's next album wouldn't sell over a certain amount. Sharon eventually lost that bet but I don't think she paid up. When I looked up ICP's album sales I was surprised at how consistent their sales were - I've never heard their music and can't name 1 song they do - but they hate Sharon and that's good enough for me.

talk about clueless.........

no contest in my eyes.

the grateful dead takes that title

• Like 1

There was no other band that had a plague of hippies in Kombi vans trawling across the country following the Dead.Depeche Mode dont have that.Unless they are in clapped out BMWs and wearing skinny ties.

There was no other band that had a plague of hippies in Kombi vans trawling across the country following the Dead.Depeche Mode dont have that.Unless they are in clapped out BMWs and wearing skinny ties.

i cant help but laugh at the stupid things i survived and/or did not get arrested at the dead shows i saw.

first show

duke 1982- age 15

Grateful Dead doesn't resonate in me. I must miss something. What I am missing?

Wellll........................I'm of the age and I never really got into them a whole lot either. They are an interesting mix of all things American in terms of their music it seems to me. But the thread is about cult bands and they are the all-time cult band. I've always felt like a lot of the people that followed them from gig to gig were younger neo-hippies trying to capture what it was like to be around in the 60s.

The only bands in this thread that deserve 'cult' status are the Dead and ICP. You'll never hear either of them on the radio (though the Dead might turn up on occasion these days because of the cultural cachet that everything from the 60s has) but they have massive followings for their live shows that a casual listener would never expect.

Neither Rush nor Depeche Mode qualify. As much as people might bitch and moan about Rush's treatment at the hands of Jan Wenner, they got plenty of radio airtime and mainstream recognition (and that goes double for Depeche Mode). Yes, we're one hell of a dedicated fanbase, but it's not like it's a mystery to the rest of the world.

Grateful Dead doesn't resonate in me. I must miss something. What I am missing?

Nothing. its a matter of taste and while i love the dead its not every ones cup of tea. I think some people have a preconceived idea about their music that changes when they actually listen to it. early dead is kinda country/americana later dead more disco tinged. in between ????

like rush, great music and great lyrics.

unlike rush, a different show every night and most importantly allowing people to record and trade their shows. allowing people to bootleg was their best decision ever,