1 minute ago, treeduck said:

I don't know, I've seen him absolutely raving about some absolutely mediocre albums but here he just seems very meh yeah whatever, despite saying he liked it.

A agree - he was sort of laid back in how he was saying he liked it.  Guess I will take his words over his body language here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Do you not like Angel and Nostradamus? You should try them again too. I like both of those, I even have the book edition of Nostradamus, which is like a full-size book version.

26 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Yeah they've done quite a few tours with these bands, and recently. I heard that it might be Sabaton who is the support band in the USA, in fact here it is:

Judas-Priest-Invincible-Sheild-Tour-2024

OMG!!  I got to see Sabaton years ago in a club in NYC on the opening night of Nightwish's Endless Forms Most Beautiful tour and they were amazing.  Never though I would get to see them ago.  At the time I said it was like having Priest open for Rush - that was the dynamic in a way.  Been hoping to see them again.  Thanks for the awesome news!!  This is great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

Well personally I like it, I think Firepower and Shield are better but to my ears it's a very cool album. Do you not even like Dragonaut? What about Cold Blooded? The Sword of Damocles? Or Halls of Valhalla and March of the Damned?

Redeemer is the album that really got me back into Priest.  Got into them after seeing them on Ram it Down.  Collected their older work and loved it.  Painkiller was a dud and was not into their Ripper era work.  Angel I really enjoyed and Nostradameous was ok but some how I just had the feel that they were a group that was running out of gas.  That they were just (mostly) running on the fumes of their past greatness.  Enjoyed their live DVD's but they were winding down a great career.  Then Redeemer came out and it really impressed me - way more than Nostradameous.  Its on par with Angel which was their best work since Ram it Down.  Then I picked up the live DVD from their show at Wacken when they played supporting that Redeemer.  That show made me really take notice and it convinced me that adding Ritchie Faulkner had added some new gas to the tank.  That they were a band that was not just running on fumes - they had something left.   

For me Redeemer is good and it was a start that got the engine revving up again.  What has come since has been special.  But no Redeemer then no Firepower etc.  One just leads to the others.

By the way - all the songs you mentioned get a heck yes from me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I have long said I thought Firepower was their best album since Screaming For Vengeance and I would rank this on par with Firepower - that high praise in my book.  Both are light years better than Painkiller which I rank as perhaps their worst Halford era work.  I really don't care for it.

So no disagreement here.

I love Painkiller, but I find it a little lacking some of the qualities I love in Priest. It's not entirely one note, but close enough. I can hear what puts you off it!

My personal favourite Priest album is Sin After Sin.

Controversial opinion: I rank Sad Wings Of Destiny quite low, and Rocka Rolla quite high. 

Why?

The songs on Sad Wings don't have the same magic on the album that they do live. I find the album versions nice enough, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Painkiller, but I find it a little lacking some of the qualities I love in Priest. It's not entirely one note, but close enough. I can hear what puts you off it!

My personal favourite Priest album is Sin After Sin.

Controversial opinion: I rank Sad Wings Of Destiny quite low, and Rocka Rolla quite high. 

Why?

The songs on Sad Wings don't have the same magic on the album that they do live. I find the album versions nice enough, though.

Re: Painkiller you nailed it.  That is what puts me off.  It has its moments but overall no thanks.

Sin after Sin - got to admit its been a while since I have listened to it.  As I continue to unpack I will find my copy of it and give it another listen.

With regards to Rocka Rolla, same thing.  Need to find my copy and give it another listen.  Been a while.

As for Sad Wings - ironically I just pulled it out today and listened to it.  Yes, I hear exactly what you are saying.  Good songs - I enjoy them but they pale compare to the live versions due to poor production.  I seem to recall thinking once "Thank goodness British Steel had the production it had.  Its production was way better than the 1970's Priest work.   So much of their 1970's work suffers from poor production."  So I don't find your comment to be controversial at all - I sort of agree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

Well personally I like it, I think Firepower and Shield are better but to my ears it's a very cool album. Do you not even like Dragonaut? What about Cold Blooded? The Sword of Damocles? Or Halls of Valhalla and March of the Damned?

I'm a fan of Redeemer as well. I think it's weaker than the latter two, but it's still got some strong songs. The only song I had a negative reaction to was March of the Damned.

But I also caught opening night of that tour so I my affinity for that album may be a bit biased because of that. Dragonaut was a great opener and it's still a favorite of mine. Halls of Valhalla also gets played a bit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Redeemer is the album that really got me back into Priest.  Got into them after seeing them on Ram it Down.  Collected their older work and loved it.  Painkiller was a dud and was not into their Ripper era work.  Angel I really enjoyed and Nostradameous was ok but some how I just had the feel that they were a group that was running out of gas.  That they were just (mostly) running on the fumes of their past greatness.  Enjoyed their live DVD's but they were winding down a great career.  Then Redeemer came out and it really impressed me - way more than Nostradameous.  Its on par with Angel which was their best work since Ram it Down.  Then I picked up the live DVD from their show at Wacken when they played supporting that Redeemer.  That show made me really take notice and it convinced me that adding Ritchie Faulkner had added some new gas to the tank.  That they were a band that was not just running on fumes - they had something left.   

For me Redeemer is good and it was a start that got the engine revving up again.  What has come since has been special.  But no Redeemer then no Firepower etc.  One just leads to the others.

By the way - all the songs you mentioned get a heck yes from me.

I'm a big fan of that Battle Cry release. Is it Unleashed in the East? Absolutely not, but it does a great job to capture the new phase of the band.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Yeah they've done quite a few tours with these bands, and recently. I heard that it might be Sabaton who is the support band in the USA, in fact here it is:

Judas-Priest-Invincible-Sheild-Tour-2024

I'm still trying to figure out if I can realistically see them this round. It could very well be one of my last chances to see them. Sabaton opening is a vast upgrade from seeing Steel Panther (though I did like them). I may have to drive 3.5 hours to see them in Ohio show as a 30th birthday gift to myself.

At present, I'm settling for KK's Priest in Buffalo on Wednesday :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that Fight of Your Life may be the low key killer track of the album. Maybe it is the best track? And The Lodger is another great one. All these reviewers who just review the regular edition with the first 11 tracks and dismissing the bonus cuts on the "Target" version need to go and have a rethink on this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I'm still trying to figure out if I can realistically see them this round. It could very well be one of my last chances to see them. Sabaton opening is a vast upgrade from seeing Steel Panther (though I did like them). I may have to drive 3.5 hours to see them in Ohio show as a 30th birthday gift to myself.

At present, I'm settling for KK's Priest in Buffalo on Wednesday :laugh:

Ha! I didn't even know dollar store Priest was playing here. What venue is it?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ha! I didn't even know dollar store Priest was playing here. What venue is it?

It was originally the Riverworks but I got an email today saying it was moved to the Town Ballroom which I'm happy with. After checking them out, I'm most excited for their opener, Burning Witches.

31 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

It was originally the Riverworks but I got an email today saying it was moved to the Town Ballroom which I'm happy with. After checking them out, I'm most excited for their opener, Burning Witches.

Riverworks? That is way too big for them. Even the ballroom might be too big.

• Haha 1

Setlist:

Panic Attack
(Live debut)
Rapid Fire
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Metal Gods
Lightning Strike
Love Bites
(First time live since 2015,… more )
Breaking the Law
Saints in Hell
(First time live since 2019)
Trial by Fire
(Live debut)
Turbo Lover
Invincible Shield
(Live debut)
Beyond the Realms of Death
Victim of Changes
Screaming for Vengeance
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)
(Fleetwood Mac cover)
Painkiller
Encore:
Hell Bent for Leather
Living After Midnight

• Like 2

I finally got around to this.  i wasn't listening right off on purpose.  i have to say i'mm glad i did this because the singles on the album sounded new to me again.  so i actually think i had the right idea here, lol.

as too the album itself.  i've played it at least 5 times now.  with headphones.  reading lyrics taking it in.  First things first this album reminded me of painkiller Smashed with Turbo.  Some of the production just reminded me of Turbo but with less cringe. i noticed too the drumming on here is REALLY forward in the mix.  and you can really hear the kick drum patterns on these songs.  which BTW i loved being a huge fan of the drums.  

Halford sounds great maybe even  stronger than on Firepower.  although the last note on Giants In the Sky was kinda bum and i lol'ed.... sorry i did, lol

As too the music.  it's really good guys.  I  think Panic Attack and The Serpent And the King their best one two opening punch in a while. 

Actually the first six songs of this thing are back to back balls to the wall great.  The Title track, Gates of Hell, Crown of Horns, Devil In Disguise (this one's just cool)

I will be  a little crital and say after Crown of Horns i have to pick and choose what i like cause the album does fall off a bit......for me.  if it doesn't for you......great.

As god as my Witness is good.  Still don't like Trial by Fire (it was least fav single) Escape from reality is great.  Sons Of Thunder.......eh it's fine.  And the closer Giants.  is actually my fav track.

As for the bonus three I think switched out some of the main songs in the 2nd half for these.  i loved all 3.

In summary this is a great album.  JP basically wins again.  Now i think Firepower is a stronger album overall (Duck''s Segues chair) but i loved this album as well. 

Mick 

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I finally got around to this.  i wasn't listening right off on purpose.  i have to say i'mm glad i did this because the singles on the album sounded new to me again.  so i actually think i had the right idea here, lol.

as too the album itself.  i've played it at least 5 times now.  with headphones.  reading lyrics taking it in.  First things first this album reminded me of painkiller Smashed with Turbo.  Some of the production just reminded me of Turbo but with less cringe. i noticed too the drumming on here is REALLY forward in the mix.  and you can really hear the kick drum patterns on these songs.  which BTW i loved being a huge fan of the drums.  

Halford sounds great maybe even  stronger than on Firepower.  although the last note on Giants In the Sky was kinda bum and i lol'ed.... sorry i did, lol

As too the music.  it's really good guys.  I  think Panic Attack and The Serpent And the King their best one two opening punch in a while. 

Actually the first six songs of this thing are back to back balls to the wall great.  The Title track, Gates of Hell, Crown of Horns, Devil In Disguise (this one's just cool)

I will be  a little crital and say after Crown of Horns i have to pick and choose what i like cause the album does fall off a bit......for me.  if it doesn't for you......great.

As god as my Witness is good.  Still don't like Trial by Fire (it was least fav single) Escape from reality is great.  Sons Of Thunder.......eh it's fine.  And the closer Giants.  is actually my fav track.

As for the bonus three I think switched out some of the main songs in the 2nd half for these.  i loved all 3.

In summary this is a great album.  JP basically wins again.  Now i think Firepower is a stronger album overall (Duck''s Segues chair) but i loved this album as well. 

Mick 

I agree with you! I actually think the bonus tracks could be replaced with some album tracks for a better album.

If you don't listen to the deluxe, you really are getting the weakest (not really) moments without some of the best.

• Like 1

I will say, I'm continuing to find more things to love about this album. When I first played it, I singled out Gates Of Hell as my least favourite moment.

Jokes on me, it's my current fave haha.

Also the album is so strong to start, I actually find myself a bit worn out by the half way point (not even taking into account bonus tracks), so I think there is plenty more for me to truly unravel here.

Golden listening experience, it feels new every time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, treeduck said:

Setlist:

Panic Attack
(Live debut)
Rapid Fire
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Metal Gods
Lightning Strike
Love Bites
(First time live since 2015,… more )
Breaking the Law
Saints in Hell
(First time live since 2019)
Trial by Fire
(Live debut)
Turbo Lover
Invincible Shield
(Live debut)
Beyond the Realms of Death
Victim of Changes
Screaming for Vengeance
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)
(Fleetwood Mac cover)
Painkiller
Encore:
Hell Bent for Leather
Living After Midnight

Is this real? I dare say it might be perfect. BTROD into VOC??? Closing the main set with hecking PAINKILLER?  I’m starting to think Rob isn’t human. I can’t think of any sane singer who would wait to do that song at the end!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I will say, I'm continuing to find more things to love about this album. When I first played it, I singled out Gates Of Hell as my least favourite moment.

Jokes on me, it's my current fave haha.

Also the album is so strong to start, I actually find myself a bit worn out by the half way point (not even taking into account bonus tracks), so I think there is plenty more for me to truly unravel here.

Golden listening experience, it feels new every time.

funny how we hear things.  Gates of hell was a straight banger glad you came around.

For me because of some of some of the weaker middle tracks i too feel the fatigue  just a bit. plus the first 6 songs to me are so good that the 2nd half has some ground to cover (i mean the 2nd half minus the bonus songs)

and it doesn't QUITE live up but again the album closes with my fav song so i can forgive.

But again don't take this as me raining on the lovefest.  I LOVE this album.......i really do.

Mick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

funny how we hear things.  Gates of hell was a straight banger glad you came around.

For me because of some of some of the weaker middle tracks i too feel the fatigue  just a bit. plus the first 6 songs to me are so good that the 2nd half has some ground to cover (i mean the 2nd half minus the bonus songs)

and it doesn't QUITE live up but again the album closes with my fav song so i can forgive.

But again don't take this as me raining on the lovefest.  I LOVE this album.......i really do.

Mick

This is an album that I guarantee we will be talking about in a couple of years still, and find tonnes to praise it for in that second half.

This album reminds me so much of ABIII. When I first heard that album, it wore me out. Eventually, the entire album grew on me and its one of my all time faves. IS feels like this sort of album for me. Its just relentlessly immersive fun.

It is amazing to me how much I love Judas Priest now. All he songs I heard growing up made me think this band was overblown shite 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

This is an album that I guarantee we will be talking about in a couple of years still, and find tonnes to praise it for in that second half.

This album reminds me so much of ABIII. When I first heard that album, it wore me out. Eventually, the entire album grew on me and its one of my all time faves. IS feels like this sort of album for me. Its just relentlessly immersive fun.

It is amazing to me how much I love Judas Priest now. All he songs I heard growing up made me think this band was overblown shite 

well......they are overblown but in the best way one can be overblown.  I've often called the metal Styx.  Not because they are musically similar but because of how NUTS this band is.

and it (mostly) WORKS.

Mick

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

well......they are overblown but in the best way one can be overblown.  I've often called the metal Styx.  Not because they are musically similar but because of how NUTS this band is.

and it (mostly) WORKS.

Mick

Oh god...Treeduck won't be happy...he don't like Styx 🤣

• Haha 2