Good Horror Movies

circumstantial tree

I recommend seeing the original "The Fog" by John Carpenter from 1980.

It has to be one of the best ghost movies ever and it has a brilliant cast.

Right now there is a remake out there that has gotten good reviews but, as I've heard it, it doesn't compare to the original.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both CT and batman took my suggestions...

i loved the first FOG movie...

and the original halloween

both with jamie lee curtis in them..

man, i'm having a brain fade... but wasn't there a movie called teror train right around the time of these other two???

i haven't thought about that movie in YEARS, but it was a good scary flick from what i remember....

i wonder if it's even available for rent anywhere.....

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 18 2005, 08:47 AM)
both CT and batman took my suggestions...
i loved the first FOG movie...
and the original halloween

both with jamie lee curtis in them..

man, i'm having a brain fade... but wasn't there a movie called teror train right around the time of these other two???
i haven't thought about that movie in YEARS, but it was a good scary flick from what i remember....

i wonder if it's even available for rent anywhere.....

ladirushfan,

Yeah, you are correct about Terror Train. I remember that one too. David Copperfield also played in that with Jamie Lee. He played a student who could perform magic tricks. He tried to win over Jamie as I recall.

But the mystery killer was someone else who wore a conductor's mask I think. The plot was very similar to Carrie, except that telekinesis wasn't used. It was bloody vengeance by a fellow student.

Did you ever see "Happy Birthday to Me"? That was kinda good and fell into the lot of whodunnit murders. It starred Melissa Sue Anderson (who played Mary Engels on Little House on the Prairie).

Welp this isnt a "horror" movie but it scared the crap outta me and had MANY bad dreams bout the movie

"Red Dawn"

It could happen unsure.gif

"Evil Dead" was a good horror flick too and also the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" Spooked me at that time.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 17 2005, 08:35 AM)
I recommend seeing the original "The Fog" by John Carpenter from 1980.

It has to be one of the best ghost movies ever and it has a brilliant cast.

Right now there is a remake out there that has gotten good reviews but, as I've heard it, it doesn't compare to the original.

I agree 100% ... I just recently saw this movie for the first time, and it really freaked me out .. had to sleep with TV on all night!!!

I also concur with Batman about the original 'Halloween' ... great music & feel to this film.

http://www.wordsfromhere.com/images/saw_poster.jpg

Intense, unsettling, creepy, and horrifying.

I realize that nowadays, this film is no longer considered scary, but I would have to nominate 'Alien'

It had so much of what makes good gothic horror: isolation, darkness, shock, a little gore. It always gave me nightmares when I was younger.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Oct 19 2005, 01:59 AM)
I realize that nowadays, this film is no longer considered scary, but I would have to nominate 'Alien'

It had so much of what makes good gothic horror: isolation, darkness, shock, a little gore. It always gave me nightmares when I was younger.

Dammit, you beat me to it!

I totally agree with you about the reasons why it is scary. The Nostromo was in outer space and sabotaged by that android Ash.

I guess it's really sci-fi horror, but that's why it's so cool. It succeeds on both levels. Great sci-fi and great horror.

I think this movie is still one of the most frightening films I have ever seen and I specialize in seeing horror films. I have seen it dozens of times and that same helpless feeling always washes over me when I imagine the circumstance.

Such dread, such terror!

Candyman was quite good even if it deviated a bit from the original Clive Barker story. It was gory as hell and just plain damn scary. It was probably the best horror movie I have ever seen in regards to "implied" gore. Your imagination could fill in the the bloody blanks.

The Exorcist and The Omen are both very disturbing. One does not have to believe in the religious aspect in order to be scared by these movies.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Oct 19 2005, 03:51 AM)
Candyman was quite good even if it deviated a bit from the original Clive Barker story. It was gory as hell and just plain damn scary. It was probably the best horror movie I have ever seen in regards to "implied" gore. Your imagination could fill in the the bloody blanks.

The Exorcist and The Omen are both very disturbing. One does not have to believe in the religious aspect in order to be scared by these movies.

i have to agree with all three of these.

Candyman was good it did get a bit silly towards the end.

The Exorcist was intense

The Omen was just great all three one of the best parts was at his birthday party the Nanny hung herself at his birtday party was great.

Edited by Batman

Best ever horror film IMO is The Birds - We all know we'll never see an alient erupt from the body of a crewmate on a ship in deep space, and we'll probably never see a pre-pubscent girl spinning around over her bed with Satan spewing hate through her mouth.

But birds lining a telephone wire?

I liked "The Birds" but I was disappointed with the end. Nothing was resolved.

I think someone here pointed out that "The Birds" was filmed in the same town as "The Fog" (the original film).

Hitchcock set many a standard for horror movies and without gore.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 18 2005, 05:33 PM)
http://www.wordsfromhere.com/images/saw_poster.jpg
Intense, unsettling, creepy, and horrifying.

Totally!!!

I'm looking forward to saW2

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 27 2005, 05:39 AM)
It just struck me no-one's mentioned The Omen yet - It's 30th anniversary is June 6th next year 06-06-06!!!!.

What's the betting we'll see a 30th anniv DVD special??

I think I did a few posts back but oh well.

A Box set would be great!!

There was seven books I guess (just found this out looking for the title) The last one I knew about and read was Omen IV: Armageddon 2000 pretty good following what happens to Damien Thorn son not as good as the first three but may make a decent movie.

QUOTE (Batman @ Oct 27 2005, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 27 2005, 05:39 AM)
It just struck me no-one's mentioned The Omen yet - It's 30th anniversary is June 6th next year 06-06-06!!!!.

What's the betting we'll see a 30th anniv DVD special??

I think I did a few posts back but oh well.

I guess this is where my sig springs into action. Got any ketchup???? biggrin.gif

Apologies to War2112 as well - My policy is if I'm going to f**k it up, I f**k it up properly!!!!!!!!!!

If you like good ol' ghost stories..... I HIGHLY recommend an old movie from the early seventies called The Changeling.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_fl.jpg

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_shot2s.jpg

Quick storyline....

A music professor from NY suffers a great tragedy which moves him to a different city. Through contacts with the local historical society, he rents a secluded mansion which has been empty for years.

The problem...... he is not alone.

No major special effects or scenes of gore. Just a great ghost story.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 27 2005, 09:28 AM)
If you like good ol' ghost stories..... I HIGHLY recommend an old movie from the early seventies called The Changeling.

Quick storyline....

A music professor from NY suffers a great tragedy which moves him to a different city. Through contacts with the local historical society, he rents a secluded mansion which has been empty for years.

The problem...... he is not alone.

No major special effects or scenes of gore. Just a great ghost story.

Pags! I love this movie! Circumstancial Tree and I were discussing it the other day, and yes.gif it is one of the best scary ghost stories out there!

Listen to the man, go and rent it! smile.gif