Nirvana

anagramking

http://www.silver-dragon-records.com/grunge.htm

A good overview of the history of grunge...

AK like many people u are getting your info from "mainstream" music media (yes like MTV)...The media and the record companies are solely responsible for the major hype of the whole grunge scene taking over...It doesn't take away from the music but the whole thing went to shit when people try to capitalize on it and that is why there are so many shitty bands out there.

Big deal AIC came out the year before. The fact of the matter is they, along with Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone (who evolved into Pearl Jam along with Green River) were around since the mid to late 80's...Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are responsible for bringing it to the forefront of the music scene. People went crazy over them and the record companies started signing every shit band who were grunge...the rest is history

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 15 2005, 01:38 AM)
http://www.silver-dragon-records.com/grunge.htm

A good overview of the history of grunge...

AK like many people u are getting your info from "mainstream" music media (yes like MTV)...The media and the record companies are solely responsible for the major hype of the whole grunge scene taking over...It doesn't take away from the music but the whole thing went to shit when people try to capitalize on it and that is why there are so many shitty bands out there.

Big deal AIC came out the year before. The fact of the matter is they, along with Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone (who evolved into Pearl Jam along with Green River) were around since the mid to late 80's...Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are responsible for bringing it to the forefront of the music scene. People went crazy over them and the record companies started signing every shit band who were grunge...the rest is history

Just saying Man in the Box was out a year before the watershed moment in grunge. What type of band was AIC known as prior to this watershed moment? I did read the other information you provided, also. A lot of the stuff is repeated elsewhere on the web, besides on mtv or any other mainstream source. AIC was not initially marketed as grunge. But by and large, what you say is pretty much what I read.

I would have to say it was considered underground rock or alternative music...the term grunge did not become known until after the whole Nirvana explosion....Actually grunge is really a sub-genre of altrnative music...

AIC was marketed by THE RECORD COMPANY as metal because at the time anything heavy was considered metal...The same thing happened to Soundgarden when they released Loud Love, though they were one of the first big bands of the Seattle Scene...

the term grunge came about because it was used to describe "the dirty sound" of the guitars.....What it is is a combination of metal, punk and to some extent psychedelic music...

An Essay on grunge...

http://www.wowessays.com/dbase/ad5/blc175.shtml

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 15 2005, 02:19 AM)
I would have to say it was considered underground rock or alternative music...the term grunge did not become known until after the whole Nirvana explosion....Actually grunge is really a sub-genre of altrnative music...

AIC was marketed by THE RECORD COMPANY as metal because at the time anything heavy was considered metal...The same thing happened to Soundgarden when they released Loud Love, though they were one of the first big bands of the Seattle Scene...

the term grunge came about because it was used to describe "the dirty sound" of the guitars.....What it is is a combination of metal, punk and to some extent psychedelic music...

An Essay on grunge...

And after the record company marketed AIC as metal, it seemed as though the media referred to anything from that period that came out of Seattle as grunge. But otherwise, I don't know who influenced who on the Seattle scene before we ever heard of any of these bands. When I first heard Man in the Box, I didn't think of it as coming from the underground alternative scene, and I had a more positive reaction to that than I did to Smells Like Teen Spirit, which seemed so unlike Man in the Box to even suspect they came from the same scene. But that's just me, I guess.

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 15 2005, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 15 2005, 02:19 AM)

An Essay on grunge...

And after the record company marketed AIC as metal, it seemed as though the media referred to anything from that period that came out of Seattle as grunge. But otherwise, I don't know who influenced who on the Seattle scene before we ever heard of any of these bands. When I first heard Man in the Box, I didn't think of it as coming from the underground alternative scene, and I had a more positive reaction to that than I did to Smells Like Teen Spirit, which seemed so unlike Man in the Box to even suspect they came from the same scene. But that's just me, I guess.

To cite some influences on the scene I would have to say Black Sabbath is a major one....Zep...the whole punk scene...Even Rush (Dave Grohl the drummer from Nirvana and now Foo Fighters has been known to say this alot)

Everybody likes to throw labels around (as u know in the politics forum AK laugh.gif ) but the fact of the matter it's rock music...Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Stones got heavy in the 60's and in a way they were the "grunge bands" of that era... a reaction to the dull, too friendly too commercial scene of the time..it happened in the late 70's as well with the Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash....just to show that what goes around comes around...I'm sure it will happen again in the near future...

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Meant to add to previous post:

The essay was certainly interesting. Thanks for the link. Here's an important sentence:

The Pixies, though often overlooked, were the major influence of a lot of grunge bands. They started the grunge sound with the soft slow intro that would blast into crunching guitars and heavy drums.

Not that I listened to a lot of AIC, but I didn't notice this in the songs that I heard. (I mocked this type of pattern earlier in the thread, calling the crunching guitars a "three chord rage.")

I just don't see what all the fuss is about with Nirvana. Very average, run of the mill stuff. Everyone on here could name half a dozen bands that'd kick their asses anyday.

Wow here I was only paying attention to The champion players and there is a hater thread on my favorite band........

Before you pass judgement on Cobain I seriously suggest reading Heavier than Heaven....This is an excellent biography written about Kurt Cobain's life.....I bet you didn't know that suicide was a Cobain family trait.......I bet you didn't know that he was shuffled from relative to relative after a messy divorce between his parents.....Kurt wasn't writting depressing lyrics as a get rich scheme or to "rip" anyone off....He genuinly was sad.....Sure he was influenced by other bands but common what band isn't.....

Kurt didn't want to be famous and actually wrote a song about the wrong type of fan........This is the first part of In Bloom :

Hey - He's the one

Who likes all our pretty songs

And he likes to sing along

And he likes to shoot his gun

But he knows not what it means

Don't know what it means, when I say:

They were once my favourite band... I was a fanboy, but I got over that.

rofl3.gif Cobain was what Ted Nugent aptly put "the perfect example of the toxic underbelly of disgusting denial that permiates society today". Nuge was right to call him "a weenie" and also said "I'm glad he's dead" and hoped Courtney Love died by saying "toxic slut of a heroin addicted mother". Nirvana were BORING. I predicted Cobain would die within a three year span after I first saw the video for Teen Spirit. I said "another left handed guitarist from Seattle, he'll wind up like Hendrix in a few years, dead from either drug overdose or something". April 1994 my prophecy came true. People said I was nuts when I predicted his death. I loathed Nirvana from the word GO! I got heavily into Queen in 1992 and bought the Queen catalog once their albums were released as I only had the Elektra version of Queen Greatest Hits recorded in December of 1990 and the first Queen disc I owned was ANATO and my interest snowballed! Nirvana were in the 90s what The Ramones were in the 70s, a band that started a music revolution but punk is still going whilst grunge died out!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 12 2005, 06:30 PM)
I am a fan of Nirvana. A guy I have played with has many of the same gripes about them as AK. "Kurt Cobain killed rock guitar, he killed solos, he made people lazy about music" etc.

Kurt Cobain did not kill anything. He did not TELL people to go ripping him off and being lazy. He did not try to make sure that soloing is frowned upon.

Sometimes, it's not about how technically skilled you are (look at Dream Theater's immense level of suckitude as an example), or what chords you play, but what you say WITH those chords. Slagging Nirvana for being depressing music is like slagging Bob Marley for being happy, uplifting music. It's what Kurt was feeling, and that's what he wrote about. If he wrote about things that he was not feeling, he could not have sung with the conviction that he did.

Here's why Nirvana was so popular: Look back to early 1990/91...what was the popular rock music? Hair metal. And that genre had run its course by the late 80s, and had just grown stale by 1991. Nirvana sounded fresh because they were different from those bands. Nirvana's actual originality is debatable, but they were definitely a breath of fresh air from the stagnant hard-rock scene of the time. This has been happening since the beginning of popular music. In the early 1960s, the popular music was teen idols like Fabian and Frankie Avalon, and then the Beatles and the Stones came along and absolutely shook the scene to its foundations, because they were not the same as everyone else. By the 1970s, the hippie dream was over, and so it was time for a new trend, and that's where heavy metal and prog rock came along. By the late 70s, the golden age of arena rock was over, so punk came along to replace it. That had run its course by the early 80s, so we got hair etal. And then that genre was basically dead by 1991, so grunge came along to replace it. By that scale, it's about time for something like that to happen any day now, because so-called "alternative" music is getting itself stuck into a Gang-of-Four-worshipping rut as of late.

Listen to Nirvana's Unplugged album and try to tell me you STILL don't see the "inherent musical value."

My high school didn't embrace grunge until 1993 as in 1992 most of my classmates were still in G 'N' R/Metallica land. I was trapped in 1977 musically in 1992 listening to Queen, Rush and Pink Floyd. The biggest news for me music wise in 1992 was that November when David Gilmour announced plans for a new PF album in 1993/94. The week Cobain died was when The Division Bell came out and I was happier than a pig in slop! Cobain hated life and hated himself and didn't relate. Soundgarden and AIC were great as they had heavy metal influences in their music unlike Nirvana who owed more to punk and Pearl Jam were a poor Zeppelin.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 13 2005, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 13 2005, 02:07 AM)
By the way, Alice in Chains, while coming out of Seattle around the same time as the other groups, seemed to be more rooted in metal than in underground alternative.  I remember hearing Man in the Box about a year before Smells Like Teen Spirit.  The common city of origin lumped them in with grunge automatically.

Alice in Chains were not metal.

AIC were metal. Their debut was 1990 and they had more of a metal sound than grunge IMHO!

I was 18/19 when Grunge exploded, and was lucky enough to have seen Nirvana twice, once in Cork during the Bleach era and another time in Dublin during the Nevermind tour. And I have an un-used ticket from the never-played gig in 1994.

His death was a major blow to those of us on the outside looking in at the time.

Popular music was in a bad place at the time, and thanks to Nirvana, our ears were opened to the Butthole Surfers, Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Big Black etc.

What really sucked was how the press rode roughshod over other bands because they did not live up to their own version of "authenticity".

Pearl Jam - the greatest American band of the last 20 years in my opinion - were eviscerated daily by an obnoxious British press, as were Soundgarden, I remember Badmotorfinger getting slated by a few magazines at the time.

It was only when Kurt died did those bands start getting the credit they deserved.

Some of us can handle pressure, stress, intrusion. Some of us can't. Kurt couldn't. Let him rest.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Did I just read that Pearl Jam were a poor Zeppelin???

If they were something to compare with, they were a polished Crazy Horse.

And following the footsteps of mighty Mr Neil Young - the second greatest Canadian contribution to rock music, and a close second, that is - isn't the worst thing to do.

I think "Ten" was one of thew best debut albums ever to be released - better than Rush's, to commit a sacrilege. So much energy and soul in classics live "Black" or "Even Flow." And their later stuff until 1998 or so wasn't that bad either.

This was the band I fell for when I drifted away from Rush for some years following Roll the Bones.

In contrast to that, I see that Mr Cobain had a few fair ideas and you can't do wrong in listening to Unplugged in New York, but I never saw the point in him being more important6 than Mr Vedder & Co.

Apart from the fact that Eddie Vedder kept away from guns and - excuse my language - dumb crackwhores.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 11 2005, 05:21 PM)

I had also heard his first attempt involved raping a mentally retarded girl and ODing on herion on a train track, hoping to get run over. That way he wouldnt die a virgin. The train though switched tracks and he was never run over.

Please tell me this is some sick rumor someone started...I've never hear this before

I rank them with The Doors and G&R as the most Overrated bands ever .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 28 2011, 04:04 PM)
I rank them with The Doors and G&R as the most Overrated bands ever .

I can understand thinking that, as a band, Nirvana is overrated. But, I don't think that way in regards to Nevermind as an album. It's a classic.

I totally agree about The Doors and Guns N' Roses.